Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Re: Official AOE:3 Definitive Edition Thread

Post by _NiceKING_ »

yoqpasa wrote:On a different note: Most of us will buy aoe3 DE regardless of its price, but what are you specting it to be?

All-new graphics & artwork
New Multiplayer
Remastered soundtrack
Remastered sound effects
Completely revamped UI
The good old campaigns with proper spit and polish
Countless balance adjustments
New terrains & scenario editor objects
Plenty a-wololo
:maniac:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Some things that I think should be done to improve AoE3 in the remastered version:

- Whatever necessary to remove lag: regional servers (like LoL), a server-client networking model (like SC2, LoL etc), in-game ping meters, option to disable HomeCity animations, removing treasure guardians idle animations etc. If a server-client model is implemented, the game should be synched with the server, so player-caused OOS becomes impossible.

- The game should be adapted to different screen ratios, not just 4:3, so that it adapts to other ratios without shrinking UI fonts/textures or stretching them.

- The list of supported GPUs needs to be updated with more modern configurations. Some people can't install/execute AOE3 because the game doesn't recognise the graphics card. The cause is the fact that Ensemble created a limited number of GPU profiles and probably thought they would patch it later to support more. They never did, so now the game fails to fully use modern GPUs.

- As a consequence of the above-mentioned, shaders need to be re-written, because modern GPUs have way way way more capabilities than cards from 2004-5. AOE3 was made to support Pixel Shader version 2 maximum, now we have 5.1 going on 6.0, based on DirectX 12. We're 3-4 generations away from the current AOE3 version.

- Unit pathing needs to be improved. There are some edge cases where unit pathing in AOE3 fails: such as vills taking suboptimal paths to reach a point (sometimes completely retarded paths), getting stuck in objects (mines, stables), or straight up failing to obey orders and doing the opposite of what you commanded them to do. Explore the possibility of raising the limit of selectable units beyond 50 / group.

- Fix sound bugs. I never had them, but lots of people complain about them.

- Update the UI to a more modern concept of user experience. The UI can have the option to be scalable, so that you don't get stuck with only 2 sizes/versions of the UI. Make it possible for users to toggle off/on different parts of the UI.

- Anti-cheating: Make UI console commands non-synchable. Block any other commands which allow cheating.

- Rebalance maps and add new maps.

- Improve game balance, by implementing at least those changes that fix broken civs, if not more.

- Fix game bugs like Alt-D explorer stance bug

- Improve artillery rate of fire and micro consistency (especially falconets and warships) -> basically fix the "lock-on-target" behaviour which causes these seemingly "random" artillery behaviours

- Remove any possibility of game going OOS. LoL uses an interesting method, by forcing every unit that is not properly synched to go back to a default position until it's synched on every client. Instead of crashing the whole game, better just force a unit to reset to a certain position. This should probably apply to non-playing units only (hunts, guards), but maybe it could be applied to playing units too, if there is a method that is fair to all players.

- Make the game use multithreading and adapt it for 64-bit CPUs

- Rewrite the ESO client, especially the player networking part, which is notoriously bad and makes many newcomers leave because of fail-to-join errors and router/port issues

- new content, if possible (textures, soundscapes, one new civ, new natives, maps)

- implement native observer UI on a server-based model - so that observers don't lag the game

- give new players at least a fully-unlocked homecity for one civ (if not for more civs or all)

- add game support for streaming

- remove elephants from the game - just kidding!

Ok, so these are a few points on a maximal list. Obviously, they're not going to implement not even 30% of these points. Most likely, if experience is an indication, they will just adapt the game for 4K, revamp the UI a bit, add a few textures for extra eye candy and call it a day. Sell it for 50 bucks.

But some of these proposed changes are not expensive to implement. UI changes don't cost a lot, it's easy stuff. Rebalancing maps is not a resource-intensive change. We might get lucky with a native observer UI, because AOM:EE got it. And since AOE3 has basically the same engine as AOM.. there's hope. Starting with a completely unlocked homecity is also something that can be done in a few hours, probably, by changing one XML homecity configuration file.

So, if you know the game's inner workings, it's possible to implement lots of fixes and improvements, but if you don't know the game and it takes months for your devs to first understand what's going on under the hood, some changes will take more than necessary. That's why they should listen to the community of modders and experienced AOE3 scripters, if they want to speed up development and avoid unnecessary costs.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

what also needs to be fixed (I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it already) is the bugged pixels in the bottom right of the screen where you can not perform any action. It's pretty annoying...
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

deleted_user wrote:anything related to ESO-C patch, ( eventhough the patch is perfect, pretty cool, obviously pretty balanced ) only because the ESO-C patch balance changes are not bringing any fun or attractivity to the mid-low level game at all, they can not just consider the pr32+ players, the changes should make everyone satisfied and Idk if the definitive edition will take part for balance changes or just the graphic, game motor changes.. we will see,

How are balance changes meant to bring fun? Is it their fault that „mid-low players" are not attracted by them?

tedere12 wrote:what also needs to be fixed (I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it already) is the bugged pixels in the bottom right of the screen where you can not perform any action. It's pretty annoying...

Link/screenshot :?:
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Official AoE3: Definitive Edition Thread

Post by tedere12 »

what kind of screenshot you need lol
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I have never heard nor seen it, just wanted to taste what it's like to be the chosen one :maniac:
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

pecelot wrote:I have never heard nor seen it, just wanted to taste what it's like to be the chosen one :maniac:

He's right. In minimized UI there's an area where u can not click anything near the border of the UI on the bottom right.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

For the record, I didn't claim he wasn't right, just that I had never seen it before :smile:
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I can confirm this non-clickable area exists. Not sure how hard it is to fix, never looked into it.
Perhaps @Dolan would know something more about it.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

I've run into that area a few times as well.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I've never seen that, but it could be because I never played TAD with the default UI, I made my own UI. So I assume the non-clickable area is caused by an UI bug. There is something peculiar about how Ensemble programmed the buttons in the Command Panel area, where unit orders and building commands are. It's possible that I may have removed the bug, when I made my custom UI.

If someone could demo that bug and screencapture it, it might help.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Dolan wrote:I've never seen that, but it could be because I never played TAD with the default UI, I made my own UI. So I assume the non-clickable area is caused by an UI bug. There is something peculiar about how Ensemble programmed the buttons in the Command Panel area, where unit orders and building commands are. It's possible that I may have removed the bug, when I made my custom UI.

If someone could demo that bug and screencapture it, it might help.

Actually, on your UI is where I first encountered this issue and imo it makes the issue stand out the most. The minimalistic UI feels so open and then you get caught off-guard because several of the "open" parts aren't really open and won't allow any interaction.

I'm attaching a screen with some of the blocked parts. This is not extensive but it should give you an idea.
Attachments
ui invisible overlay bug.png
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The top right side, next to the Menu, is not clickable because that's where I put the units & shipment queue. It wasn't the best place, it was a compromise solution until I would get a better idea. I did say my custom UI wasn't really finished.

The score gadget is hard-coded, there's not much you can modify in it. That's why you can't click through it.

The non-clickable area on the bottom-center covers the icons you see when you select units; it's called "unitselectionpanel-stackQueue".

The right-side bottom area is the command panel and it does have some weird issues. The command panel bugs are due to how Ensemble programmed it, not because of the UI.

The others are caused by z coordinate issues (it's like z-index layering in CSS). When UI gadgets areas conflict with each other (because they're not properly separated and the game can't "decide" which one has precedence) this can lead to buggy behaviours. I tried to avoid and mitigate these issues, but it's possible on some screen resolutions, my solutions (developed for an HD resolution) may not work the same.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

EAGLEMUT wrote:I can confirm this non-clickable area exists. Not sure how hard it is to fix, never looked into it.
Perhaps @Dolan would know something more about it.

Yeah it does exist. Especially close to the building command era's it's possible to get hard time of clicking.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

old newsh, but I've just seen it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/ ... nd_aoe2de/
As for which company is involved in which game of the franchise. AoE:DE is done by Forgotten Empires. AoE2:DE is probably expected to be handled by FE as well. AoE4 is currently in the hands of Relic Entertainment. Little news has been shared on AoE3:DE but I'm sure that'll come when the time is there.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

In order of my personal priorities:
- moesbar exploit removed from the game
- esoc maps made to be the new mappool for quick search
- EP implemented
- eso update to make it less clunky, especially with regards to ftj and other weird errors
- observer mode added
- improved graphics
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

pecelot wrote:old newsh, but I've just seen it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/ ... nd_aoe2de/
As for which company is involved in which game of the franchise. AoE:DE is done by Forgotten Empires. AoE2:DE is probably expected to be handled by FE as well. AoE4 is currently in the hands of Relic Entertainment. Little news has been shared on AoE3:DE but I'm sure that'll come when the time is there.

There are some guys from Ensemble Studios that work at Forgotten Empires. One of them worked on graphics/optimization/etc for AoE3. So I'm pretty sure AoE 3 DE is gonna be done by FE.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

That'd be a very educated and reasonable guess, true.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Pakistan MaJoOorchEf_GaZa
Musketeer
ESO: majooorchef_gaza

Post by MaJoOorchEf_GaZa »

what can they do that can't be done by ESOC? i mean EOSC aoe3 as a new game there are so meany map and they can change units cost building cost and units states isn't it enough for DE?
Do you know what kind of creature waits for its own slaughter?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Attila_The_Hun wrote:what can they do that can't be done by ESOC? i mean EOSC aoe3 as a new game there are so meany map and they can change units cost building cost and units states isn't it enough for DE?

What they can do is take these changes and release them as the official patch for all players, ESOC cannot do that.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Jerom wrote:In order of my personal priorities:
- moesbar exploit removed from the game
- esoc maps made to be the new mappool for quick search
- EP implemented
- eso update to make it less clunky, especially with regards to ftj and other weird errors
- observer mode added
- improved graphics

Solid list. One issue that I see missing and consider very important, perhaps even above all of these, is to make the game actually run with ease on modern operating systems and fix all the compatibility errors that have piled up throughout the last decade. When a new player attempts to install this game, it's currently almost assured they will not even be able to launch it out of the box, and that is a really concerning state of things.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Indeed, pretty saddening — not to mention potential FTJs, low-level HCs... Gosh, those conscripts on ESO are actually so determined to play this game :o
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

pecelot wrote:Indeed, pretty saddening — not to mention potential FTJs, low-level HCs... Gosh, those conscripts on ESO are actually so determined to play this game :o

Not to mention the Steam version does its best to hide that the game has any expansions. It only creates a shortcut to play vanilla and requires players to find out themselves how to launch the actual latest version of the game with the complete content. Likely one of the top reasons we still see people on vanilla today after all these years — many people don't know how to launch TAD or that it even exists and they have it bought.

The barrier for a new player to join AoE3 and play it in its full glory with the rest of the community is really, really high in 2017.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

mad cuz bad