Official AoE 4 Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag willhaversham
Crossbow

Re: Official AoE 4 Thread

Post by willhaversham »

I would like the game to be set in Imperialism Age, mainly set in Africa. I don't know a massive amount about this period of history but that's part of the appeal, Age of Empires was always a useful means to learn new information in a fun way. Might need to be careful in a politically correct sense regarding exploitation of Africa/genocide events but it's not like that stopped the Native American civs being introduced to AoE3. Also is a means to avoid 'modern' warfare and also keep elements of melee in the game.

Civilization ideas:
European - British, German, Portuguese, Belgian, Italy, France
African Tribes - Zulu, Maasai, Tutsi, Hutu, San, Berber
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Discussion about the historical accuracy of Age of Empires incoming in 3... 2... 1...
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America illusioNtEk
Skirmisher
ESO: illusioNtEk

Post by illusioNtEk »

May this thread reach 1000 pages it will.
Brazil borg-
Crossbow
ESO: atlas_peido

Post by borg- »

If it is in modern times, I have no idea how the game will behave.
Need some drastic changes in gameplay, since collecting resources to flying planes. I do not know how far they have managed to keep the game faithful.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

borg- wrote:If it is in modern times, I have no idea how the game will behave.
Need some drastic changes in gameplay, since collecting resources to flying planes. I do not know how far they have managed to keep the game faithful.

was there any anouncing about the time period it is going to be?
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Gichtenlord wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote: we could even ask for other game modes like a TR DM to speed things up a little bit.

Do you mean...blitzkrieg? ;)

well that seems more like a in game scenario because that historically was the more prepared germans made such advances as to put the enemy without time to react. Think being on opposte sides of trenches and being able to supply large battles and movements to cross no mans land. lots of melee in cav and in trench war. Could have special trench fighters etc...

the world wars were filled with huge battles that seem to need a full economy rather than a small band of units, well both are good.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

sebnan12 wrote:atleast we master lt colo in sup ^^

tbh I'm not really happy with how far I got playing aoe3 supremacy. Mechanics were there but too many of my games were plagued by downright idiotic decision making and I felt like my ability to learn from my mistakes wasn't that great (maybe being top1-top3 in treaty contributed to this). Like for example back in 2014-2015 kingownage would win like 75% of his games against me. Then he left for a year and when he came back my winrate against him was 50%. Like it took me an entire additional year of playing the game to catch up to his level in supremacy (though he played supremacy a bit more than I did when he was active in 2015, but I was also playing a decent amount. I have a total of 2k sup games on dicktator_, and I haven't played sup on dicktator_ since early 2016). I look at some of my losing streaks against king and I just cringe at the fact that I couldn't adapt and figure something out. There are other examples as well, 10-1 losing streak against prince etc...

I told myself "I'm just focusing on treaty that's why I'm doing so bad" but that was probably just an excuse.

Part of the reason I'm so excited for aoe4 is because it's a chance for me to do better.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

dicktator_ wrote:

tbh I'm not really happy with how far I got playing aoe3 supremacy. Mechanics were there but too many of my games were plagued by downright idiotic decision making and I felt like my ability to learn from my mistakes wasn't that great (maybe being top1-top3 in treaty contributed to this). Like for example back in 2014-2015 kingownage would win like 75% of his games against me. Then he left for a year and when he came back my winrate against him was 50%. Like it took me an entire additional year of playing the game to catch up to his level in supremacy (though he played supremacy a bit more than I did when he was active in 2015, but I was also playing a decent amount. I have a total of 2k sup games on dicktator_, and I haven't played sup on dicktator_ since early 2016). I look at some of my losing streaks against king and I just cringe at the fact that I couldn't adapt and figure something out. There are other examples as well, 10-1 losing streak against prince etc...

I told myself "I'm just focusing on treaty that's why I'm doing so bad" but that was probably just an excuse.

Part of the reason I'm so excited for aoe4 is because it's a chance for me to do better.

i hope ur kidding because whenever u played sup for quite a while u were always able to kick really high lvl players asses..
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

NEED MORE XP
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It takes a lot of experience to be good at the game, especially if you want to be able to play every civ, and treaty skills don't really transfer. 2k games is not that many. Most high level players have played many more than that. Myself I'm probably at around 15-20k at this point. So for having played only 2k you did fine.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

sebnan12 wrote:
borg- wrote:If it is in modern times, I have no idea how the game will behave.

was there any anouncing about the time period it is going to be?

No.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

willhaversham wrote:I would like the game to be set in Imperialism Age, mainly set in Africa. I don't know a massive amount about this period of history but that's part of the appeal, Age of Empires was always a useful means to learn new information in a fun way. Might need to be careful in a politically correct sense regarding exploitation of Africa/genocide events but it's not like that stopped the Native American civs being introduced to AoE3. Also is a means to avoid 'modern' warfare and also keep elements of melee in the game.

Civilization ideas:

The Belgians were pretty good in genocide (Kongo)
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Would be cool to have a Belgian civ, honestly. Would like to play as Dutch vs Belgians there :hehe: :hehe:

(@chrisie)
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

willhaversham wrote:I would like the game to be set in Imperialism Age, mainly set in Africa. I don't know a massive amount about this period of history but that's part of the appeal, Age of Empires was always a useful means to learn new information in a fun way. Might need to be careful in a politically correct sense regarding exploitation of Africa/genocide events but it's not like that stopped the Native American civs being introduced to AoE3. Also is a means to avoid 'modern' warfare and also keep elements of melee in the game.

Civilization ideas:

Other ideas: Boer, Ethiopian
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

it shud feature asian history imo.

NEED MORE XP
Great Britain Lake_69
Crossbow

Post by Lake_69 »

Waited so long for this, my wife and life's gonna suffer! oh well shit happens ;)
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Lake_69 wrote:Waited so long for this, my wife and life's gonna suffer! oh well shit happens ;)

don't worry you might not have a wife or a life when this game comes out
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

MCJim wrote:Would be cool to have a Belgian civ, honestly. Would like to play as Dutch vs Belgians there :hehe: :hehe:
(@chrisie)

But we love our dutch neighbours. :love:
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon
ESO: VooDoo_BoSs

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

dicktator_ wrote:

I think losing skill is a serious thing too with time off. In 2011 I was top 10 1v1 ELO, beat all the best players regularly, yet last summer I was losing to majors. Maintenance of skill is a tough, and in general the quality of players has gone up every year.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Asateo wrote:
MCJim wrote:Would be cool to have a Belgian civ, honestly. Would like to play as Dutch vs Belgians there :hehe: :hehe:
(@chrisie)

We should annex you.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Asateo wrote:
(@chrisie)

We should annex you.

Certainly not :hmm:
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Flanders should be added to The Netherlands and Wallonia to France :p

(sorry offtopic)
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

I give you guys a quite obvious tip: Expect AoE 4 to be shit so you dont get disappointed and also are happier if it comes out...better than have high expectations and then get disappointed cause that might happen (I hope not though).
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
United States of America loquacioushoneybee
Crossbow

Post by loquacioushoneybee »

Mameluke wrote:I give you guys a quite obvious tip: Expect AoE 4 to be shit so you dont get disappointed and also are happier if it comes out...better than have high expectations and then get disappointed cause that might happen (I hope not though).

Ofc it's going to be bad with no halberds and no pikemen XD
Ask not for whom the timer ticks, it ticks for thee.
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Asateo wrote:
(@chrisie)

We should annex you.

:ohmy:

We kicked you out in 1830.
So you see, any Belgian - Dutch match up is doomed to be BE OP. ^_^
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

^I believe you guys even had plans to annex souther parts of NL earlie ~1900.

btw, I believe we withdraw back to our superior nation instead of chasing you guys fleeing army?

heres a piece flower :flowers:
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98