People online hating on AoE3 ?

Turkey Gafur
Skirmisher
ESO: Gafur

People online hating on AoE3 ?

Post by Gafur »

After all the AoE 4 news, pages on social medias started to share it as we all know. But everyone keep saying "please dont make it similiar to aoe3 please bring back medival times AoE 3 was shit dont put the card system" Youtube Twitter Facebook comments everwhere... Which i dont get it at all. AoE3 is a great game and i honestly think its better than 2 HD. What do you guys think about ppl hating on AoE 3 and why ? (+ i would love to play AoE 4 with AoE 3s colonial theme.)
mentally healthy
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Re: People online hating on AoE3 ?

Post by Asateo »

Maybe some people just have a thing for the middle ages. Seems more attractive in their head Iguess.
The card system creates for the more strategical gameplay. I can't understand why RT"S" people would be against that.
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Turkey Gafur
Skirmisher

Post by Gafur »

Asateo wrote:The card system creates for the more strategical gameplay. I can't understand why RT"S" people would be against that.

%1000000000000
mentally healthy
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Shipments are the reason this game never took off. No one wanted to lose just because they played less than their opponent. Nowadays, this has changed a lot and f2p games are very common.

Most people are also nostalgic because they played AoE2 in their youth and they can't see that AoE3 is the better game.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Because people don't want to play a strategy based game instead of a mechanic based game.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

It's because the game was a disaster for balance and features when it was released. By the time it was improved it was too late.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Shipments are the reason this game never took off. No one wanted to lose just because they played less than their opponent. Nowadays, this has changed a lot and f2p games are very common.

Most people are also nostalgic because they played AoE2 in their youth and they can't see that AoE3 is the better game.

Wouldn't go as far as calling AoE3 "the better game" tbh, its great, but its hard to compete with one of the best rts games ever made.
No Flag Kommander
Musketeer

Post by Kommander »

Nostalgia, preferences, ignorance, or all three.

/thread
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Shipments are the reason this game never took off. No one wanted to lose just because they played less than their opponent. Nowadays, this has changed a lot and f2p games are very common.

Home cities, you mean? Shipments are the best thing we have in this game.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

pecelot wrote:Home cities, you mean? Shipments are the best thing we have in this game.
Homecity levelling, actually. You still need homecities if you want decks.
Pay more attention to detail.
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

A deck is too much for their brains

Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

n0el wrote:It's because the game was a disaster for balance and features when it was released. By the time it was improved it was too late.

Id say it also changed a lot. The name age of empires might be a burden to aoe3. I think as a standalone game it's better, but people expected it to be like age of empires 2. Home cities, the entire gathering system with hunts and no drop off points and infinite food and gold resources where a big change and I think many people liked those aspects about aoe2. To be honest, I actually really admire both games as different masterpieces within the genre of RTS, and if aoe3 had been a standalone title and had actual had a good release, good maps and balance (say, if they'd have released ESOC Patch) then this game would've done a much better job competing with the big guns in the RTS market.

All things considered though, I want them to go back to a sort of aoe2 style. I cant stand the old aoe2 engine and the old looks of the UI, while I clearly can stand the aoe3 UI and we're also getting aoe3 DE while we're at it, so if aoe4 is some sort of medieval back to the basics RTS then I'm going to be content because I'll have 2 great strategy games to play. Maybe if aoe2 DE makes the game look somewhat more up to date then I'll actually have 3 amazing games to play.
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

Treasures and Cards are what make aoe3 unbalanced, besides the insanely high number of civilisations. So, if you want to make a more balanced game, eliminating cards, would be a nice idea to balance the game, nothing wrong with it in my opinion.
Turkey Gafur
Skirmisher

Post by Gafur »

DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:Treasures and Cards are what make aoe3 unbalanced, besides the insanely high number of civilisations. So, if you want to make a more balanced game, eliminating cards, would be a nice idea to balance the game, nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Eliminating cards ? You just killed the whole strategy feature of the game.
mentally healthy
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Gafur wrote:
DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:Treasures and Cards are what make aoe3 unbalanced, besides the insanely high number of civilisations. So, if you want to make a more balanced game, eliminating cards, would be a nice idea to balance the game, nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

And the enitre lore...
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

Gafur wrote:

From what I know, on aoe2 there aren't cards.. so the card system is meant for age3 only. I proposed an alternative way to balance the game, why age4 has to be the same of the age3? With cards u eliminate the balance, just saying. On Sc2 there aren't cards or stuff like that, and it's way more balanced than aoe3 (due the fact it also has less races ofc)
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I think first impression is important, just like everyone hates aoeo for beeing a rpg pretendig to be a rts (when champion mode got released it was too late) they also hate that in aoe3 someone who plays more starts at an advantage with the deck. (dont knowing that after the grind for the homecity level, aoe3 becomes a good game).

seriouslly ms, stop hiding you games under trash rpg, thats not what aoe its supposed to be. Its shitty design when the whole community always have to say to every new player "just use this mod that skips this part of the game, then it gets good."

Maybe if from day one when aoe3 got released they had this mentality and made eso with everything unlocked from the start, the whole card system could have had a better response from the comunity.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Gendarme wrote:
pecelot wrote:Home cities, you mean? Shipments are the best thing we have in this game.

Naturally, I meant it — but one can differentiate home cities from decks, just like I distinguished them from cards, even though in order to get the latter — you need the former.

Insanely high? And you take AoE2 as a good example?
Furthermore, just have a look at the EP Patch Notes and tell me how many of the changes affect cards? I'd say way less than a half.

DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:From what I know, on aoe2 there aren't cards.. so the card system is meant for age3 only. I proposed an alternative way to balance the game, why age4 has to be the same of the age3? With cards u eliminate the balance, just saying. On Sc2 there aren't cards or stuff like that, and it's way more balanced than aoe3 (due the fact it also has less races ofc)

Proper logic here :maniac:
You know what AoE3 has and both AoE2 and SC2 don't? Bison. From what I know, on aoe2 there aren't bison.. so the bison system is meant for age3 only. With bison u eliminate the balance, just saying.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

pecelot wrote:You know what AoE3 has and both AoE2 and SC2 don't? Bison. From what I know, on aoe2 there aren't bison.. so the bison system is meant for age3 only. With bison u eliminate the balance, just saying.

Well, this is a known fact. :!:
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

pecelot wrote:
Gendarme wrote:

Naturally, I meant it — but one can differentiate home cities from decks, just like I distinguished them from cards, even though in order to get the latter — you need the former.

Insanely high? And you take AoE2 as a good example?
Furthermore, just have a look at the EP Patch Notes and tell me how many of the changes affect cards? I'd say way less than a half.

DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:From what I know, on aoe2 there aren't cards.. so the card system is meant for age3 only. I proposed an alternative way to balance the game, why age4 has to be the same of the age3? With cards u eliminate the balance, just saying. On Sc2 there aren't cards or stuff like that, and it's way more balanced than aoe3 (due the fact it also has less races ofc)

Proper logic here :maniac:
You know what AoE3 has and both AoE2 and SC2 don't? Bison. From what I know, on aoe2 there aren't bison.. so the bison system is meant for age3 only. With bison u eliminate the balance, just saying.
You can't read, I've taken aoe2 as example because it doesn't have cards, from what I know, not because of civ's count. And don't pretend ep is balanced, because it's not, not because the team is not good to balance it, just because there are too many civs to balance. I am sure, some cards were patched, because too strong (5 mams to 4 mams or Yumi card for example). So, either cards get balanced as well, otherwise it's just one of the unbalanced things you find in the game. More than cards, the problem is the number of civ, and as I said before, is insanely high.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

treasures is what makes aoe 3 alone unbalanced...
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag enjoy2play
Dragoon

Post by enjoy2play »

treasures is why this game sucks in 1v1
Acergamer wrote:Well, that's it for me fellas haha. Anyways I just want to say good luck to Samwise12 ,and hope he beats Lordraphael since he's basically a piece of shit idiot combination of Garja and Umeu.
N3O_Jerom wrote:and huh the balance is actually pretty good
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Treasures are a great addition to have interaction in age1. Other RTS game actually envy a feature of that kind and have to speed up the game to make early game not too boring. Like Sc2 players used to complain about boring early game and that lasts like 2 min max.
The fact that treasures bring imbalances is totally situational (e.g. too many nat treasures or very unlucky treasure placement).

I think the bad thing about AOE3 is unit shipments popping out during a battle and snaring other stuff. Snare itself is such a non forgiving feature that makes the game hateable.
Civ and map imbalances also contributed a lot to make AOE infamous.
Image Image Image
United States of America loquacioushoneybee
Crossbow

Post by loquacioushoneybee »

:hmm:
Ask not for whom the timer ticks, it ticks for thee.