Shaping The Development of AoE3:DE

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: Shaping The Development of AoE3:DE

Post by pecelot »

japanesegeneral wrote:I wonder why nobody mentioned the postgame graphs yet. However i do think it would be nice to have graphs like res per secound or something like ressources on the battlefield.

There's a lot of room for improvement in this regard, some cool unit stats (involving, perhaps, even particular unit types) or individual troops' achievements, as well as more transparency: gather rates being displayed live in the UI (I think someone might have mentioned it already) — AoE2, watch and learn!

Rikikipu wrote:Make natives great again

Apart from some obvious ones, like the aforementioned Cheyenne cost decrease, I think they're overall not that bad, but situational. To bring some reference, I'll quote the sempai himself, as it's a spot-on analysis of the natives:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11847&hilit=native%2A#p249679
Aizamk wrote:Nats are usually viable, it's just that nobody ever uses them...

For example, goon type nat in age 2 is a hard counter to mindless cav semi-ffs.
Tiger claws/Rattan with 300/300 upgrade and a few cards are insane.

The thing players tend to get wrong with going nats, imo, is they either over commit to it (i.e. put too many cards/resources into a nat that is situationally useful: see huamincas with high siege early on, nootka with relatively high siege high tanking value, but fairly useless anti-cav) or under commit (e.g. send 1 nat upgrade card then lose their nat post or something, making that card a complete waste for the rest of the game). Unless you're france with a tp, at some point you want to transition over to regular units once nats serve their purpose of pressuring in the early portion of the game, or when you're nearing the build limit.

The build limit is a huge factor especially considering that on some maps you can maybe only get one of a type. This is a tough thing to balance map-wise. For example on saguenay nats aren't mirrored, so you can fully commit to one of them. However, the Huron nat isn't nearly as useful as the Cree one. But on Hudson bay, while it is technically "fair" with mirrored nats, you're now only really limited to ONE cree tp, unless you're fish booming or something (in which case the Huron fishing upgrade is quite nice).

I don't particularly mind the fact that nat tps can be scouted via the score bar; it lends value to little tricks such as timing your nat post completion only once you're about to age. I do like Umeu's build limit idea, but I can see it being too overpowered (for a good nat) if it's 100%. Perhaps 50%. As for reducing the price of the native embassy, I'd say that the build time is more of a problem. As it stands right now, you're going to be very slow if you build your native post far away from both bases, and want to build a nat embassy in base/near your regular fb to make units arrive faster.

Also buffing the native treaties card to nilla stats (i.e. more natives per post) would be ideal, but then again that could make nats too overpowered. Nilla players (at least, old school) should know that a nat rush with that card on Sonora was practically a free win in most situations. TAD players are relatively inexperienced with this, however.

NyxAchlys9 wrote:
TheLUCKYfighter wrote:8. Building rotator - it exists, just not officially yet

Go to 'options' in the EP launcher and it is there :flowers:

The thing is to make it official :!: But I guess when EP becomes the go-to patch, you'll be right... :roll:

bobabu wrote:There should be a download page where everyone can install the most famous scenarios directly through the game and begin playing.

Like Steam Workshop, right? :uglylol: I can't really tell how it's going to be, but one thing for certain is that it'll be on Windows Store, and it can be doubtful whether any modding will be actually allowed. But I'm no expert here! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

_NiceKING_ wrote:I think this thread should be pinned instead of this one :hmm:

Good idea, though why not both? :flowers:

Imperial Noob wrote:4. [...] Fix trample mode bugs for certain units. Cuirs??

Which ones, in particular? Rozmawiasz z Turkiem... ;) Cuirassiers still have 2 splash damage after switching to the trample mode, true, but they're not the only ones with that „feature" and I feel that if we were to fix anything regarding it, there would me more significant issues :!:

Dsy wrote:I dont really like post balance changes ideas since its always the developers decision what they like. They wont probably listen.
So its better just flame then until the bad choices they made.

Right... :uglylol:

HUMMAN wrote:It could be nice if church card would make missionaries cheaper for example.

Missionaries — do you mean then the Royal Decree to Claim the New World home-city shipment exclusively? :hmm:
Moreover, EP already achieves it by halving their cost. Combine that with the Russian TEAM Cheap Priests card and you get them for 25 wood & 25 coin trained in 10 seconds! :kinggreen:

HUMMAN wrote:IMO playing natives should be forced

I'm not a big fan of such claims, especially after tough experiences of the past meta :hmm:

HUMMAN wrote:they are part of the map but they only occupy space. I am sure some pro players would say "omg this map is broken it destroys my semi ff build" but whatever.

I don't think that's the case at all, they're treated as a natural obstacle, sometimes even improving your walling capabilities!

EAGLEMUT wrote:
yoqpasa wrote:By the way, can we expect new patches periodically after 1.0 or will they just release DE, get as much $$$ as possible and dump it? Do we have only 1 chance?

Nobody can know for sure, though the latter is more likely.

Is it? Aren't there patches for AoE2: HD? :hmm:

gamevideo113 wrote:Some cards are also overlapping, e.g. advanced mill and avanced plantation with land grab.

I wouldn't say so, they're pretty similar, but have rather different effects. Advanced Plantations, for instance, allow you to build such a structure already in Discovery Age. Not to mention you can combine both :chinese:

Imperial Noob wrote:
HUMMAN wrote:I think weak cards should be tweaked as well, but op cards(boyar, genitour) should not be nerfed since they are unique to civ.

Of course not! The point is to make the game more cool, not less.

So make Vanilla more like TAD? :roll:

Imperial Noob wrote:
HUMMAN wrote:It could be nice if church card would make missionaries cheaper for example.

Additional effects are awkward to implement and hard to justify. I don't think we should lobby for them.

Isn't that basically what you're suggesting? :huh:

Imperial Noob wrote:
HUMMAN wrote:You may buff native cards if natives wont be changed. IMO playing natives should be forced, they are part of the map but they only occupy space. I am sure some pro players would say "omg this map is broken it destroys my semi ff build" but whatever.
Interesting. It would never occur to me that natives can be buffed that way. When you think of it Doylishly, they should be strong soldiers who know the terrain, so perhaps they should be just as an important element of the maps as the trade routes. Then a lot of timings would change, when both players would have to take for example Conquistadors or Tupis into account in their BOs... A lot depends on how much can we buff single cards so that France will still not become OP in age II.

Maybe just give all natives +10 LOS? :kinggreen:
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

pecelot wrote:
Rikikipu wrote:Make natives great again

Apart from some obvious ones, like the aforementioned Cheyenne cost decrease, I think they're overall not that bad, but situational. To bring some reference, I'll quote the sempai himself, as it's a spot-on analysis of the natives:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11847&hilit=native%2A#p249679

I kinda disagree with Aizamk, nats have never been used in tourney at high level game, which tends to lead that they are useless. If they were good, then the 6 or 7 upgrades avalaible until age 3 as France would make them op. So why no one uses them ? Well, dragoon age 2 as conquistador is bad and just not worth it. They are worse than goon, if you hit age 3, they are useless and you got to drop a stable which means 200w more to add.
Usually they got bad stats, they cost wood, there is a low build limit, tps are sometimes far from fb. The techs are great designed though
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

German age-2 play almost never sees any usage at high level, either, but it's not because it's weak, but because their age-3 agenda is much more powerful. You wouldn't really find a reason to buff the former, would you?
What about Apache as the Colonial Age Dragoons? Would you not use them in the Fortress once you made them before or gained access to them? Moreover, nats don't take population space, so once you reach 200/200 limit you should actually always consider making them. At least that's what I've been doing, but some of the big names out here just miss those little details ;) Not to mention that some have quite unique features, as the aforementioned Apache Cavalry (bonus vs vills), Cheyenne Riders (bonus vs hand cavalry), Sufi War Elephants (Asian lancer-/Mahout-type unit), even Cree CDBs etc.
Plus, on top of that, there are the techs, which overall are pretty great.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

pecelot wrote:

Which ones, in particular? Rozmawiasz z Turkiem... ;) Cuirassiers still have 2 splash damage after switching to the trample mode, true, but they're not the only ones with that „feature" and I feel that if we were to fix anything regarding it, there would me more significant issues :!:

1. Such as?

2. Cuirs should get their splash range bigger. Sioux warchief should get some reduction and more splash range. These are blatant bugs, existing for no reason. Other units, as you kindly show in your thread, have problems with damage calculation. Sowars?
Besides, the speed reduction is outright ridiculous in a mix of cavalry pathing problems and lag.
Taking more damage in trample mode is awkward, but if the numbers were more attractive and the speed not reduced, the mode would be in a good spot to become a part of tactics, not an object of 1000 word deliberation best summed up as "It kills minutemen, isn't it enough?"

pecelot wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:
HUMMAN wrote:I think weak cards should be tweaked as well, but op cards(boyar, genitour) should not be nerfed since they are unique to civ.

Of course not! The point is to make the game more cool, not less.

Nilla was passe in 2006 to me. Just make TAD better.

pecelot wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:

Additional effects are awkward to implement and hard to justify. I don't think we should lobby for them.

Isn't that basically what you're suggesting? :huh:

I am merely suggesting buffing what is laughably uncalculated. Sort of... an "ESOC Patch" version of my usual creativity.

pecelot wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:
HUMMAN wrote:You may buff native cards if natives wont be changed. IMO playing natives should be forced, they are part of the map but they only occupy space. I am sure some pro players would say "omg this map is broken it destroys my semi ff build" but whatever.
Interesting. It would never occur to me that natives can be buffed that way. When you think of it Doylishly, they should be strong soldiers who know the terrain, so perhaps they should be just as an important element of the maps as the trade routes. Then a lot of timings would change, when both players would have to take for example Conquistadors or Tupis into account in their BOs... A lot depends on how much can we buff single cards so that France will still not become OP in age II.

Knowledge of the terrain is the usage of the terrain, not merely watching it. Who is the Turk here? :ugeek: Of course, some natives do have stats beautifully showing their unique combat capabilities (Cree HP, Carib damage), but if they, and especially others, are still too weak for their price, it cannot be considered well implemented.
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

A small thing: make dead cows appear dead in fog.

Now they are "alive" again (in the fog) after someone killed them.
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Imperial Noob wrote:
pecelot wrote:

1. Such as?

2. Cuirs should get their splash range bigger. Sioux warchief should get some reduction and more splash range. These are blatant bugs, existing for no reason. Other units, as you kindly show in your thread, have problems with damage calculation. Sowars?
Besides, the speed reduction is outright ridiculous in a mix of cavalry pathing problems and lag.
Taking more damage in trample mode is awkward, but if the numbers were more attractive and the speed not reduced, the mode would be in a good spot to become a part of tactics, not an object of 1000 word deliberation best summed up as "It kills minutemen, isn't it enough?"

I meant that fixing bugs for individual units in trample mode when it feels underpowered entirely is of less importance, but your further concerns can certainly be considered legitimate :smile:

Imperial Noob wrote:
pecelot wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I meant the Vanilla within TAD :geek:

Imperial Noob wrote:
pecelot wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Knowledge of the terrain is the usage of the terrain, not merely watching it. Who is the Turk here? :ugeek: Of course, some natives do have stats beautifully showing their unique combat capabilities (Cree HP, Carib damage), but if they, and especially others, are still too weak for their price, it cannot be considered well implemented.

Perhaps native weaponry may not necessarily match its counterpart from the Industrialised Europe :?

Asateo wrote:A small thing: make dead cows appear dead in fog.

Now they are "alive" again (in the fog) after someone killed them.

That's more of a thing for the Bug Fixes for the ESOC Patch thread :!:
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

pecelot wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I meant the Vanilla within TAD :geek:

Make the most innovative nations of the era more flexible? Yes.

pecelot wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Perhaps native weaponry may not necessarily match its counterpart from the Industrialised Europe :?

Gun-toting natives should be as good as or better than Europeans.
Average dudes from the forrest, on the other hand, should be fairly weak but hireable for a bottle of cheap wine and a steel knife.
Colombia Jjtuxtron
Crossbow

Post by Jjtuxtron »

I think ESOC patch balance mentality, is not necesary for Aoe3 DE, they should make more things viable so there is more diversity.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Jjtuxtron wrote:I think ESOC patch balance mentality, is not necesary for Aoe3 DE, they should make more things viable so there is more diversity.

It's tough to say. If they randomly buff a ton of stuff we might end up with an even more unbalanced official patch than we have now, for another decade.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

I was almost forgetting, AoE3DE needs to fix tashunke prowlers for the love of god.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

How?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Give them standard upgrades and make them heavy cav with stealth (and/or splash damage).
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

pecelot wrote:German age-2 play almost never sees any usage at high level, either, but it's not because it's weak, but because their age-3 agenda is much more powerful. You wouldn't really find a reason to buff the former, would you?

I've seen plenty of high level tourney games with germany staying age 2. Also buffing germany's colonial was considered (as long as you nerf their fortress of course).

pecelot wrote:What about Apache as the Colonial Age Dragoons?

Those guys are special, because they don't cost wood and have exactly the same stats as goons. So they're good, though the build limit is annoying, as always. But most other nats are not very cost-efficient.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Denmark jonasnee
Crossbow
ESO: jose96

Post by jonasnee »

i wished they would buff some of the worst units a bit, like most single target melee infantry is pretty shit in the game (like why are rodeleros more expensive than musketeers if they have the same melee dmg the same health but no range attack, the speed and resist doesn't remotely make up for that).

also some other units like grenadiers i wish would be buffed a bit, at least to a point where i wont be called a lunatic for saying i like them :P

then there are the obvious ones like anti cheat, graphical updates etc.

also i would like some more tailor made maps, treaty fx could use a good map to play on cause atm it is pretty much just andes and deccan that are used, something made for that would be nice. some of the factions ofc needs to be toned down a lot more than others but overall i think they should take a look at each factions and ask themselves "is x doomed in the early game and if not is it worthless in the lategame".
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Jjtuxtron wrote:I think ESOC patch balance mentality, is not necesary for Aoe3 DE, they should make more things viable so there is more diversity.

It's tough to say. If they randomly buff a ton of stuff we might end up with an even more unbalanced official patch than we have now, for another decade.

Thats why you buff with calculations instead of pure ideas and game feelings.
I made unit cost effective calculator for example. Using it just shows some intresting balance apsects of the game which everyone feels and noona really wants to fix.
For example most of civs can produce musks and halberdiers also. However lets just check their cost effectivity for combat.
Vet musk has: 196 x3 vs cav, ability to shoot
Halbs has: 178 x2 vs cav

These are the melee scores. Basicly musk not only can shoot from distance but also kill halbs in melee.

Basicly with some game knowledge its possible to buff useless units and dont ruin the balance system. Its actually easy if you ask me.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

You forgot to mention that you want walls to be nerfed
r]
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Yes i want. But that isnt a part of a calculation. Its an idea.
An outpost cost 250w has some attack ability, cover x long distance but enemies can move in.
I think wall should be the same with cover x long distance, has a bit more hp, it can stop enemy movements, no shooting abilites and in the end cost 250w overall aswell as an "alternative" outpost.
Denmark jonasnee
Crossbow

Post by jonasnee »

ocemilky wrote:Havent read all the posts here but my suggestion would be, if possible, to have seperate balance for sup, tr, dm. If it's impossible then I hope they just focus on sup.

Hopefully the devs have ties to the community - I would say it's impossible for them to not be on this forum if they are commited. Even if they havent really played the game, they would investigate the community and hopefully not just stick to their official forums.

i don't think it is impossible to make a treaty and sup patch in 1, sure not everything would be great for both but in general the things treaty needs wouldn't effect sup to badly, like would it really effect a sup game if you cant insta spawn gendarmes? or would russia be OP because they get an age 4 card that makes strelets have extra dmg and range? because i don't think those would break supermacy at least not 1 vs 1 and it would probably be a good thing for 3 vs 3 etc.

sure there might be some niddybiddy details each mode might want different but you have to remember most people who play AOE plays teamgames, 1 v 1 is only played at the higher levels really, most of my games are 3 v 3 and 2 v 2 seems around as popular. if anything the game should actually be balanced for team games.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Kaiserklein wrote:
pecelot wrote:German age-2 play almost never sees any usage at high level, either, but it's not because it's weak, but because their age-3 agenda is much more powerful. You wouldn't really find a reason to buff the former, would you?

I've seen plenty of high level tourney games with germany staying age 2. Also buffing germany's colonial was considered (as long as you nerf their fortress of course).

Or maybe you just remember them. If we were to count the overall appearance of both strategies, I'm sure what would come out on top. My sentence might have been a bit of an exaggeration, but only to illustrate the point. Nevertheless, the

U H L A N | S E M I - F F
meme exists for a reason :chinese:

jonasnee wrote:(like why are rodeleros more expensive than musketeers if they have the same melee dmg the same health but no range attack, the speed and resist doesn't remotely make up for that).

Speed is a very significant factor in terms of anti-cav units. Also, both of the aforementioned troops serve a different purpose, rodeleros allegedly aren't that bad at what they're doing, but for me they're just nothing special, to be honest, I suggested their siege attack to be buffed a while ago, and I still stand by that!

Gichtenlord wrote:You forgot to mention that you want walls to be nerfed

Well, with PAUSE MICRO ABUSE, that's actually a legitimate concern :!:

jonasnee wrote:i don't think it is impossible to make a treaty and sup patch in 1, sure not everything would be great for both but in general the things treaty needs wouldn't effect sup to badly, like would it really effect a sup game if you cant insta spawn gendarmes? or would russia be OP because they get an age 4 card that makes strelets have extra dmg and range? because i don't think those would break supermacy at least not 1 vs 1 and it would probably be a good thing for 3 vs 3 etc.

sure there might be some niddybiddy details each mode might want different but you have to remember most people who play AOE plays teamgames, 1 v 1 is only played at the higher levels really, most of my games are 3 v 3 and 2 v 2 seems around as popular. if anything the game should actually be balanced for team games.

I agree. Furthermore, it's not like you can't make some changes [u]in the game itself[u] to balance out both game modes. By that I mean that you can, for example, have a 50-settler limit for the Dutch regularly, but once you turn on the no-rush mode, it automatically increases to 65. :smile:
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

The proposal I was working on is now finished,

I have created a new thread so that discussion can be more focussed surrounding it

It is available here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12366
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Rikikipu wrote:I kinda disagree with Aizamk, nats have never been used in tourney at high level game, which tends to lead that they are useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FSkecQEzrw#t=46m08s
from my personal experience they have 100% success rate in tournament finals though
oranges.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

^savage
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

I fear that the forgotten empires team still lacks a real management team. They are just a bunch of aoe fans without any knowledge in the gaming industry. 5 days before the release of Aoe 1 de, the game is still unplayable and they aren't even capable of providing a definite release date. Aoe 2 HD still faces a lot of problems. No wonder they didn't get the do aoe 4 which is a blessing
Denmark jonasnee
Crossbow

Post by jonasnee »

forgotten empires almost certainly wont touch AOE 3, AOE 3 is a 3d game which is beyond the usual scope for people with no program experience if it is truly to be made up to date.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

jonasnee wrote:forgotten empires almost certainly wont touch AOE 3, AOE 3 is a 3d game which is beyond the usual scope for people with no program experience if it is truly to be made up to date.
Note that they did touch AoM:EE, so there is some precedent there. Nothing is certain, though.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player