Rumours of AOE4 closed-alpha/beta

Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: AOE4 beta has been released!

Post by Mitoe »

If true, sounds like we're getting an AoE2 clone. Yay.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

AoE2 sucks its too slow tbh. I'd be pretty disappointed if its an AoE2 clone. I can't really play AoE for long period anymore so AoE2 just isn't for me at all. Looks like im staying with Starcraft.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

ye, sounds like AoEII:2 is coming. Image
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

I know it looks like typical jakey being salty but its ridiculous to influence a new video game to just be a remake. Why can't it have elements from all titles in the series and build on it? AoE3 still sells more copies than AoE2, and is a more popular game from various sources. If a studio can be bullied into making a game by appealing to the popular vote then it simply wont be a good game. Great games are from developers who are unbaised and create what they want to.

I'm not (or should not :!: ) saying that the card system should be in the game but it seems that they are appealing to AoE2 fans only - especially by having only the top players of AoE2 test it. Because people who are that dedicated towards AoE2 to be the best are definitely bias and probably havent even touched 1 or 3 in a long time. Why should they judge what it good?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

I don't think the game is necessarily going to be an aoe2 clone, if you look at aoe online the game plays out quite differently from aoe2 despite having similar mechanics. The speed of the game just depends on numbers, it's not really something to worry about as it can be easily tweaked (hopefully aoe2 players will recognize if the game is too slow and needs to be a bit faster). The fact that cards will not be in aoe4 doesn't worry me that much. I don't want aoe4 to be an aoe2 clone but i don't want it to be an aoe3 clone either. Brand new game mechanics would be the best possible thing. As for the era, many people think it will be in the last two centuries, and many think it will be a jump back to medieval times. If the guy says it is not what "most people expect" then at this point i'm thinking it will go back to ancient times with greeks and stuff :hmm:
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Carlini8 wrote:I think you are also underestimating how much work Microsoft are planning on putting into the DEs. From what I can tell about AoE2 DE they are going to try to build Voobly into the game basically. That's no small feat.
But why would you need top players to playtest things like that? A DE is a remake of an existing game, where there are few changes to the actual gameplay. You would still need people to test it, sure, but they wouldn't need to be very good at the game. You need good players, players with a long history playing the series, if you're making a new game and trying to make the correct decisions when it comes to game design and balance.

[redacted]
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

@Goodspeed , it just happens that top players are usually the ones with long history. They probably felt like they needed someone from the outside of their studio to get the perspective, so why not just fly over the best of the best? Moreover, in AoE2 there is the HD balance and the Voobly balance, which is why choosing the best options for an official DE may not be as straightforward as you seem to imply.

Garja wrote:I dont buy it frankly. Game is like 3 years away from release. There are all the DE to complete and playtest (just look at how long it took for aoe1:DE from the announcement date).
There is probably nothing at all ready to play yet.
[redacted]

How long? https://www.ageofempires.com/news/annou ... e-edition/ The DE was announced in June, in October it comes out. Is 4 months that much? :hmm:

Gendarme wrote:Nice fucking watermark.

One could just, like, cut 10 pixels from the bottom :hehe:

CurassierAndCurassier wrote:My guess/hope is the time period is early post-colonial America, with civs like Brazil, Mexican Empire, Haiti, Gran Colombia and USA joining Britain/Spain/France and various native tribes.

Also kinda suspicious about this timing, but if it's legit it gives me hope that they don't pass over the era between the revolution and ww1 like every other strategy game.

The Official AoE 4 Thread or others may be more appropriate for such posts :smile:

sc wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
Carlini8 wrote:I think you are also underestimating how much work Microsoft are planning on putting into the DEs. From what I can tell about AoE2 DE they are going to try to build Voobly into the game basically. That's no small feat.

That is indeed a surprise to me. A pleasant one.

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one

If you basically agree with the quoted sentences, what's the point of the „but" conjunction :?:

[redacted]

NyxAchlys9 wrote:I know it looks like typical jakey being salty but its ridiculous to influence a new video game to just be a remake. Why can't it have elements from all titles in the series and build on it? AoE3 still sells more copies than AoE2, and is a more popular game from various sources. If a studio can be bullied into making a game by appealing to the popular vote then it simply wont be a good game. Great games are from developers who are unbaised and create what they want to.

I'm not (or should not :!: ) saying that the card system should be in the game but it seems that they are appealing to AoE2 fans only - especially by having only the top players of AoE2 test it. Because people who are that dedicated towards AoE2 to be the best are definitely bias and probably havent even touched 1 or 3 in a long time. Why should they judge what it good?

lol, that's a... far conclusion based on such a poor piece of evidence :hehe: :uglylol:
Great Britain hleung
Retired Contributor
ESO: hleung / cll (DE)

Re: Official AoE 4 Thread

Post by hleung »

There have been rumours circulating across the internet regarding Age of Empires 4 going into closed-alpha/beta phrase just a short while after the announcement in GamesCom. I will quickly summarise what has been discussed in this thread.

Some of us are slightly worried about the speed of development of a game title that is supposed to have relatively sophisticated mechanics, as the most recent trailer in GamesCom has revealed nothing conclusive yet (and most of us expect the game will be released in a few years, following the release of DEs). Some of course are also concerned about the removal of certain game mechanics such as cards and home cities in Age of Empires 4, which makes the game becoming more like a clone of AOE2. Nonetheless, there are also suggestions that the game is still alright even if it is similar to AOE2, if the good things in AOE3 and other rts games will appear in AOE4, such as meta resources, tech trees, age bonuses, etc.

Although rumours of the new game are being circulated, there has been no solid evidence to back them up (as far as I am aware of) nor has there been any confirmation on what has been said were true - and even if the rumours were true, many things in the game would be subject to change anyway.

While it is almost certain that some well-known AOE2 players will be participating in the beta testing, we hope the developers are going to listen to the AOE3 community as well, as we may also be able to provide some valuable ideas and feedback to the development.

I hope this sums up the discussion we are having, and let us continue as the thread is now re-opened. :flowers:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

pecelot wrote:@Goodspeed , it just happens that top players are usually the ones with long history. They probably felt like they needed someone from the outside of their studio to get the perspective, so why not just fly over the best of the best? Moreover, in AoE2 there is the HD balance and the Voobly balance, which is why choosing the best options for an official DE may not be as straightforward as you seem to imply.
Still seems unlikely to me that they would fly those people over just for the DE's.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Such a statement seems to be correct.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

If 10 aoe people were flown into Vancouver atleast one of them should've been Ryan
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

dietschlander wrote:If 10 aoe people were flown into Vancouver atleast one of them should've been Ryan

+1
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Great Britain hleung
Retired Contributor

Re: Rumours of AOE4 closed-alpha/beta

Post by hleung »

Alright. The thread has been partially restored and unlocked after some quick moderation.

@everyone can resume the discussion now. :flowers:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

pecelot wrote:Such a statement seems to be correct.
What statement? [redacted]
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I heard they are thrashing everything and making the gameplay aoeo based :flowers:
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

lemmings121 wrote:I heard they are thrashing everything and making the gameplay aoeo based :flowers:

It's surely a good base to work on. Inb4 AoE4 is AoEO with realistic graphics.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Goodspeed wrote:
pecelot wrote:Such a statement seems to be correct.
What statement?

The one directly above the post.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

gamevideo113 wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:I heard they are thrashing everything and making the gameplay aoeo based :flowers:

It's surely a good base to work on. Inb4 AoE4 is AoEO with realistic graphics.

Aoeo is the aoe2 essence, fixed for a faster paced game with qol changes.. Its a good base. I would still add some aoe3 elements and prefereably new features, but I like it as a starting point.
(please no 15 minutes long early game aoc style)
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I still don't know what statement you're talking about @pecelot. I assume you mean they did fly people in for the DE's?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

They wouldn't fly people to Relic to play DEs. Makes zero sense. It's obviously for AOE4, but that doesn't mean they played it. Could have been just to discuss it and listen for ideas. Relic was hiring quite substantially in the last few months, this tells me the game isn't near completion.
mad cuz bad
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

dietschlander wrote:If 10 aoe people were flown into Vancouver atleast one of them should've been Ryan

I think zuta with his connections and history has the biggest chance of being involved.

Next is ryan, seems he has been rather busy lately and his lack of progress in divinity original sin 2 is potentially suspicious.

Finally interj is also a possibility and he is conveniently taking a couple of weeks off right now not to mention he took a flight departing from London in the past few days, though he has a supposed cover story for that.

Beyond that I don't think they would be interested in anyone else.

The guy did say 80% were aoe2, which leaves 2 people not. Could be 0 or 1 from aoe3, idk, I wouldn't get any hopes up.
Great Britain hleung
Retired Contributor

Post by hleung »

The community team would like to remind everyone that we should avoid making any NDA-related accusations in this thread. Any further discussions about NDAs in general will be removed by the community team :!:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

benj89 wrote:any reason why they would take AOE2 guys rather than AOE3, or at least a mix of both? I don't get it

because its going to be aoe2 2
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Because AoE2 players are more representative of the entire fan base. We're the "weird ones" who liked the game nobody else liked :P
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

I don't think anyone from the AoE3 community flew to vancouver unfortunately. Most of the AoE2 players that went there are relatively open minded when it comes to different games though (aka they aren't AoE2 purists) so i think we can still hope for the best. Assuming they will be asked their opinion, they probably won't push excessively for mantaining some AoE2 characteristics which might be out of date.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?