AoE3DE Polish and Balance

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

AoE3DE Polish and Balance

Post by gamevideo113 »

Hello ESOCians,
I decided to write this post because of the upcoming definitive edition for Age of Empires 3. One of the hopes that most of us have is that game balance will be improved in the definitive edition from RE patch, so the purpose of this post is exactly that of adressing what we, as a community, think should be changed or what we think should remain the same. I know that it is often hard to come to an agreement in any context, and sometimes when speaking of game balance it is very hard to agree on something; this is why i ask to everyone who is interested to share his opinion and his views on the matter as the community's feedback is obviously very valuable (aka feel free to tell me i have weird ideas :flowers:).

The ESOC Patch surely did a great job at adressing balance. It has a minimalistic approach, as it aims to leave the feeling of the game mostly intact. I totally agree about not altering the original feeling of the game too much because it is the only way to make a patch that can be accepted by the majority of people (in the AoE2 community there have been many attempts at balancing but many patches failed because of too many radical changes). But at the same time, as many others pointed out, the definitive edition is the only opportunity for us to address some unbalances that "a fan patch would not dare to change" for the sake of the original game's integrity and to be able to find consensus. Reading 12 pages of changelog is bothersome and would turn away most people in case of a fan patch. However as we can see from AoE2 HD, enforced patches work a lot better, as they are auto installed and don't need any effort to be implemented. Most of the community wouldn't go out of its way to change/revert the data set of the game and would accept the new balance and keep playing because they don't care all that much.

As we can see from the data collected by pecelot and H2O about the spring championship, some civs (Germans, British) seem to be quite dominant, while other civs instead seem a bit subpar (Spanish, Iroquois) (It should also be kept in consideration though that some civs are played less frequently because of their features, some people might find spain awkward to play because of the lack of Quartermaster and Exiled Prince, so the civ is not played a lot, and this implies a less in-depth knowledge/experience of the civ, which might have an influence on the global win ratio of said civ). However, i think that it is undeniable that the balance has himproved from RE to EP, and i would say that the EP balance team is on the right track. Therefore, the definitive editon should most definitely keep in consideration the work that was done by ESOC, and the hypothetical changelog of the DE should have its roots in the EP changelog. Some things were not changed for the sake of integrity and synthesis, but i think that for example, in regard to cards, a lot can be done to make the card system easier to learn for new players and less confusing (maybe one day aoe2 players will stop bashing it :P). There is plenty of cards that never see any use and just "clump" the whole card selection system of various civs, making it also harder for new players to understand what cards are actually valuable and what cards are not great. No one whould ever send 2 villagers in the discovery age instead of 3 villagers. Does the card need to be there? I don't think so. This issue can be seen a bit everywhere, probably initially the devs thought that more cards were needed in order to make better cards harder to unlock, but since all the cards should be unlocked from the very beginning in the definitive edition, i think that a lot of "cleaning” can be done in this regard.
Some people expressed their fear that making a lot of changes in the definitive edition (thus abandoning the minimal approach) could be dangerous for the game balance, also because we don't know how many times it will be possible to patch the definitive edition again after its release. I think that a lot of changes that can be done to polish the game can do no harm to the game's balance and i wanted to give a shot at this kind of polishing, at least on a theoretical level by finding useless/unbalanced cards and bringing them to everyone's attention so that a judgement about them can be done and later, eventually, pointed out to Microsoft.

In the specific case of an underpowered/useless card the possibilities would be 3:

-Leaving the card untouched;
-Adjusting the card;
-Removing the card.

Just to bring an example of what i concretely have in mind, here i’m going to list the cards available for the Dutch civilization that i think should be tweaked with a short reasoning nearby:

[spoiler=Cards]-2 settlers: There is already 3 settlers.
-7 sheep: Does anyone really use a card for lovestock in age1?
-15 sheep: Card for livestock in age3, doesn’t really see any use despite its good value.
-1 covered wagon: 600 resources in age3. Never used.
-Surgeon cards: never used. Could maybe be blended in a single card that both gives you surgeons and lets you train them in the church.
-7 halberdiers: inferior to 8 halberdiers, that doesn’t get sent very often.
-11 halberdiers: inferior to 13 halberdiers, that doesn’t get sent very often.
-9 skirmishers: 1035 resources in age4. Terrible. There is also 14 skirms available.
-11 ruyters: inferior to 13 ruyters, worth 1155 resources in age4.
-13 ruyters: inferior to 17 ruyters, that doesn’t get sent very often either.
-4 grenadiers: 720 resources in age 3 for 4 unupgraded units.
-7 grenadiers: 1260 resources in age4 for 7 unupgraded units.
-1 falconet: 500 resources in age3 that never sees any use.
-Non-TEAM 2 mortars: why ship this instead of TEAM 2 mortars? It’s not likely to ship both.
-Native cards(?): These cards are basically never used (maybe in treaty?). Possible rework?
-Ranching: A card that allows to train cows. Only Aizamk could find a use for it. (Treaty?)
-2 outpost wagons: 500 resources in age2 (some time ago i also saw some people saying that outposts should be reworked)
-Advanced arsenal (?): Worth an age2 shipment+loads of wood and gold to be useful. Does it need a rework?
-Agents: spies are already a niche unit and a card for them is not really likely to be sent.
-Tulip Speculation: worth an extra bank once you already have 7 banks, really pales in comparison to factories that can be sent as well.
-Advanced mill, Advanced plantation: send improved buildings if you want the HP, send Land Grab if you want the cost reduction.
-TEAM Cheap market improvements: not sure what’s the cost reduction but this is probably a bad card.
-Advanced Market: better buy/sell ratio is nice, but not worth a card. Should it be blended with Cheap Market Improvements to make it a worthwhile card?
-Dutch East India Company: Saves you 105 resources per bank and makes them tankier. Not really worth an age2 card.
-Sawmills: Inferior to 20% wood gathering which is also available in age1.
-Colbertism: 1.50 food per second is not even worth 2 hunters. Should it be buffed?
-Medicine: allows you to train 7 villagers in the time it normally takes you to train 6. Takes really a long time to pay off.
-1 caravel: Inferior to 2 Caravels and a bad age2 card anyway.
-Non-TEAM 1 monitor: you can send TEAM 1 monitor, which is better in every aspect.
-Dance Hall: i don’t really see its usefulness…
-Mercenary Loyalty: this has really bad value. It is never used.[/spoiler]

A lot of these cards could just be removed in my opinion. Some others are maybe worth some tweaking. Many of these cards are also shared with other civilizations so this needs to be kept in consideration.

@Imperial Noob was also talking about some sort of card system polishing in the AoE3 DE thread, so he gets the tag :P

There are also other aspects of the game that might need some rebalancing, like for example politicians, but i’m not sure if they should be included in this very thread.
We could have different threads for civ balance (including cards), general balance, map balance and maybe even something else like water or whatever.

Sorry for the wall of text and please share your opinion 

P.S: Sorry for bad format, writing this on an iPad was atrocious :sob:
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Re: AoE3DE Polish and Balance

Post by yemshi »

[spoiler=Cards]-2 settlers: There is already 3 settlers.
Japan
-7 sheep: Does anyone really use a card for lovestock in age1?
Ports. On some maps. California, Mongolia, etc.
-15 sheep: Card for livestock in age3, doesn’t really see any use despite its good value. yep
-1 covered wagon: 600 resources in age3. Never used. conscripts use it and have fun that way
-Surgeon cards: never used. Could maybe be blended in a single card that both gives you surgeons and lets you train them in the church.
-7 halberdiers: inferior to 8 halberdiers, that doesn’t get sent very often.
-11 halberdiers: inferior to 13 halberdiers, that doesn’t get sent very often.
-9 skirmishers: 1035 resources in age4. Terrible. There is also 14 skirms available.
-11 ruyters: inferior to 13 ruyters, worth 1155 resources in age4.
-13 ruyters: inferior to 17 ruyters, that doesn’t get sent very often either.
-4 grenadiers: 720 resources in age 3 for 4 unupgraded units.
-7 grenadiers: 1260 resources in age4 for 7 unupgraded units.
-1 falconet: 500 resources in age3 that never sees any use.
-Non-TEAM 2 mortars: why ship this instead of TEAM 2 mortars? It’s not likely to ship both.
-Native cards(?): These cards are basically never used (maybe in treaty?). Possible rework?
-Ranching: A card that allows to train cows. Only Aizamk could find a use for it. (Treaty?)
-2 outpost wagons: 500 resources in age2 (some time ago i also saw some people saying that outposts should be reworked)
-Advanced arsenal (?): Worth an age2 shipment+loads of wood and gold to be useful. Does it need a rework?
-Agents: spies are already a niche unit and a card for them is not really likely to be sent.
-Tulip Speculation: worth an extra bank once you already have 7 banks, really pales in comparison to factories that can be sent as well.
-Advanced mill, Advanced plantation: send improved buildings if you want the HP, send Land Grab if you want the cost reduction.
-TEAM Cheap market improvements: not sure what’s the cost reduction but this is probably a bad card.
-Advanced Market: better buy/sell ratio is nice, but not worth a card. Should it be blended with Cheap Market Improvements to make it a worthwhile card?
-Dutch East India Company: Saves you 105 resources per bank and makes them tankier. Not really worth an age2 card.
-Sawmills: Inferior to 20% wood gathering which is also available in age1.
-Colbertism: 1.50 food per second is not even worth 2 hunters. Should it be buffed?
-Medicine: allows you to train 7 villagers in the time it normally takes you to train 6. Takes really a long time to pay off.
-1 caravel: Inferior to 2 Caravels and a bad age2 card anyway.
-Non-TEAM 1 monitor: you can send TEAM 1 monitor, which is better in every aspect.
-Dance Hall: i don’t really see its usefulness…
-Mercenary Loyalty: this has really bad value. It is never used.[/spoiler]
Stopped quite early. Take into consideration that there are
1) Conscripts
2) there is a leveling system.
3) there are already enough good cards for both game modes (see it as 131 good cards with only 25 in a deck)
4) buffing useless cards creates imbalances. Port age I with a 400f, good advanced market, etc. would be strictly superior to Brit Age I. Too much hazzle, too many imbalances.
5) A whole new game with *pages and pages of balance changes*.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

I appreciate the work, however for AoE3 Polish I would ask pecelot and about balance I agree with yemshi
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

@gamevideo113 I agree, removing/polishing many of the terrible cards would be a good thing.

yemshi wrote:-1 covered wagon: 600 resources in age3. Never used. conscripts use it and have fun that way

This card could for example be buffed simply by adding some cords of wood. It's unreasonable to forfeit 400 res for the convenience or fun of having a TC wagon.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
France P i k i l i c
Howdah

Post by P i k i l i c »

The TC wagon can be useful in the rare case you lost your only TC and your explorer is died in the enemy base but you have a tower and sending the card is the only way to build a TC

United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

I think we just dont need 131 cards, way fewer, better cards would get the job done more effectively.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah

Post by P i k i l i c »

There are more than 131 cards because you start with more than 10 cards at level 10 (and more than 1 on nilla). I believe the number is 148 cards iirc

New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

-2 settlers: There is already 3 settlers. well yeah
-7 sheep: Does anyone really use a card for lovestock in age1? Russia has a use for it
-15 sheep: Card for livestock in age3, doesn’t really see any use despite its good value. agree
-1 covered wagon: 600 resources in age3. Never used. new players use this
-Surgeon cards: never used. Could maybe be blended in a single card that both gives you surgeons and lets you train them in the church. If you have high hp stuff like cannons this can be cool
-7 halberdiers: inferior to 8 halberdiers, that doesn’t get sent very often. yesh
-11 halberdiers: inferior to 13 halberdiers, that doesn’t get sent very often. well who sends halbs
-9 skirmishers: 1035 resources in age4. Terrible. There is also 14 skirms available. Terrible. Never send this. Waste of card. SAD
-11 ruyters: inferior to 13 ruyters, worth 1155 resources in age4. ditto
-13 ruyters: inferior to 17 ruyters, that doesn’t get sent very often either. well noh
-4 grenadiers: 720 resources in age 3 for 4 unupgraded units. Who makes grenadiers as Dutch
-7 grenadiers: 1260 resources in age4 for 7 unupgraded units. Like unless you are gren rushing
-1 falconet: 500 resources in age3 that never sees any use. 1 < 2 falc so simple
-Non-TEAM 2 mortars: why ship this instead of TEAM 2 mortars? It’s not likely to ship both. Could be useful potentially. I ship 2x2 Heavy cannons as Russia
-Native cards(?): These cards are basically never used (maybe in treaty?). Possible rework? :hmm: I think they are champ.
-Ranching: A card that allows to train cows. Only Aizamk could find a use for it. (Treaty?) Not with Dutch
-2 outpost wagons: 500 resources in age2 (some time ago i also saw some people saying that outposts should be reworked) Could be fun for an FI but really i'd send the fort
-Advanced arsenal (?): Worth an age2 shipment+loads of wood and gold to be useful. Does it need a rework? It's pretty nice already
-Agents: spies are already a niche unit and a card for them is not really likely to be sent. well wow
-Tulip Speculation: worth an extra bank once you already have 7 banks, really pales in comparison to factories that can be sent as well. I'd really only make 4 banks in supremacy and this card is a must in treaty
-Advanced mill, Advanced plantation: send improved buildings if you want the HP, send Land Grab if you want the cost reduction. Essential cards
-TEAM Cheap market improvements: not sure what’s the cost reduction but this is probably a bad card. Very high IQ
-Advanced Market: better buy/sell ratio is nice, but not worth a card. Should it be blended with Cheap Market Improvements to make it a worthwhile card? hot doggie
-Dutch East India Company: Saves you 105 resources per bank and makes them tankier. Not really worth an age2 card. It can be fun cause they are much better than EP walls
-Sawmills: Inferior to 20% wood gathering which is also available in age1. They stack
-Colbertism: 1.50 food per second is not even worth 2 hunters. Should it be buffed? If you want a buffed trickle play VP, otherwise use this card in treaty
-Medicine: allows you to train 7 villagers in the time it normally takes you to train 6. Takes really a long time to pay off. You don't need this for Dutch because 50 villagers.
-1 caravel: Inferior to 2 Caravels and a bad age2 card anyway. yeeah
-Non-TEAM 1 monitor: you can send TEAM 1 monitor, which is better in every aspect. Could be useful potentially. I ship 2x2 Heavy cannons as Russia
-Dance Hall: i don’t really see its usefulness… Renegado need imperial upgrade :hehe:
-Mercenary Loyalty: this has really bad value. It is never used. Nah no point in this card. Cool for new players though.

Pretty much i'd keep these cards in as it makes for people to explore the possibilities - however some cards are just precursors to ones that are meant to be unlocked.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Take into consideration that there are
1) Conscripts
2) there is a leveling system.
3) there are already enough good cards for both game modes (see it as 131 good cards with only 25 in a deck)
4) buffing useless cards creates imbalances. Port age I with a 400f, good advanced market, etc. would be strictly superior to Brit Age I. Too much hazzle, too many imbalances.
5) A whole new game with *pages and pages of balance changes*.

1) exactly because there are new players we should try to avoid letting them even think abouy picking stupid cards like 9 skirms. 90% of the people who don't play aoe3 don't even understand the whole card system and the purpose of this rework would be that of making it more simple so that it is easier to get into the game without getting lost in 150 cards when they could very easily be 100 or less.
2)there shouldn't be a leveling system, to be honest leveling homecities is just bothersome and if it was in aoe3 DE as well i don't think i would even buy it, because it would mean that MS didn't really understand at all what AoE3 needs to become more popular and better in general.
3)there are good cards, but there are also cards that don't need to exist in neither sup nor treaty
4) obviously buffing useless cards is the thing that needs more care to be handled, but some cards can be fixed without really risking to break the game. For example bringing 12 cassadores up to the standard of 14 for an age4 skirmisher card wouldn't really break anything, yet you would end up with one more option as portuguese in industrial.
5) to be fair you wouldn't even notice many of the changes, removing useless cards wouldn't alter your gameplay at all. Do you ever look for the 2 vills card while making a deck with euro civs? No, so it might as well not be there. And no, noobs should not be allowed to send it because it is just a bad card and it doesn't realistically increase the amount of fun they are having. You can make an argument for covered wagon but this still does not mean that the card should not be adjusted to be at least usable in a more competitive context. (covered wagon+200 w)
@yemshi
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Removing cards simply because they're not viable competitively (at the moment) is not a good reason to remove them. It removes the potential to try out more unorthordox strategies or just plain troll a little bit.

Even bad cards can be fun.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Here I thought the thread was about the Polish civilization.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Mitoe wrote:Removing cards simply because they're not viable competitively (at the moment) is not a good reason to remove them. It removes the potential to try out more unorthordox strategies or just plain troll a little bit.

Make all the cards great again! (or good enough to be used unconventionally)
mad cuz bad
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Mitoe wrote:Removing cards simply because they're not viable competitively (at the moment) is not a good reason to remove them. It removes the potential to try out more unorthordox strategies or just plain troll a little bit.

Make all the cards great again! (or good enough to be used unconventionally)
mad cuz bad
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

@pecelot how will the AoE3DE Polish be?

(Thats how I read it sorry OP lol ;) )
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I fail to see how cards like 2 vills or 1 caravel can ever be fun. It's just clutter that only serves to confuse newcomers.
Of course care needs to be taken to not remove potential unorthordox strategies, but there are definitely cards with no potential. Particularly many of the leveling cards should be ripe for removal at the same time leveling itself is.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

EAGLEMUT wrote:

I fail to see how cards like 2 vills or 1 caravel can ever be fun. It's just clutter that only serves to confuse newcomers.
Of course care needs to be taken to not remove potential unorthordox strategies, but there are definitely cards with no potential. Particularly many of the leveling cards should be ripe for removal at the same time leveling itself is.

2v isn't clutter tho. I've done brit builds where u get a tp and go 3v 2v 5v 700w 4v and age with 2v. Sure it was vs japan and I knew he wasn't gonna b aggressive but it's a little bit more fun than going tp VC all the time ya know
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

I didn't say "here's a list of cards that i want to be removed". I specifically asked for everyone's feedback because many of them could potentially be fun and viable if only they were a little bit better, but in 90% of the cases those cards are just bad and will never be sent, even in niche moments. Advanced mills and plantations do not open room for unorthodox strategies, and are not even fun to send in my opinion when compared to land grab. Some of those cards probably need to stay in the game like livestock cards but they get sent in 1 game out of 1000, so i think that we need to evaluate the benefit of having more ultra-niche card versus having a more clear and polished card system.

rsy wrote:2v isn't clutter tho. I've done brit builds where u get a tp and go 3v 2v 5v 700w 4v and age with 2v. Sure it was vs japan and I knew he wasn't gonna b aggressive but it's a little bit more fun than going tp VC all the time ya know

This actually feels like sending a bad card for the sake of sending it, waiting a bit to reach colonial and adding 600w would very probably be a better alternative. Even sending the wood gathering age1 card would possibly be better because you need to have at least 10 villagers on wood and it will already be as good as 2 vills. Would you rather have the possibility to send bad cards or have a well polished game that is more noob-friendly and less confusing for new players? Of course you know 2 vills is not a card you should ship every game, but should it be there just because it gets shipped 1/20 times (suboptimally) when a japan-brit matchup happens?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Card balance/reworks is definitely a discussion the community needs to start having soon. So thank you @gamevideo113 for getting things started, you are right that there are many civs with several objectively bad cards that never see play (not to mention, politicians!)

I hope this changes for the sake of re-interesting players that stopped playing long ago. I honestly think this is the single most important factor with regards to getting people to come back and actually try the game out again. It's also very marketable.

[spoiler=Explanation]
certainly cheat protection, bug fixes and balance tweaks would be very welcome but this Definitive Edition is an opportunity to make something a fair bit more substantial. Due to the relatively small competitive player base, EP was developed around the ideology that those players were still here for the game they know and that deviating too much from it would result in a lack of interest. This is obvious though. Of course they’re here for the game they know – they’re not signed into ESO for anything else! Unless it’s to play 40+ new civs on WoL or something. No, everyone else left years ago because they grew tired of the stale unchanging metagame. They went off to play new games that do provide a fresh experience. There’s nothing left to explore now, AOE3 has been figured out. The game has lost its novelty and if DE launched with only the small tweaks made by EP then there wouldn’t be much reason for players to bother trying it out again (at least not for very long). Nor would there be anything worth covering for new (and existing) content creators to get on board with. Sure, there’d be an initial boost, but the game would lack longevity and quickly return to what it is today.

Authenticity through minimalism worked for ESOC Patch. Given that we could not ‘magic’ everyone onto our patch, for the sake of adoption - and tournaments that resemble what viewers remember; it was important EP remained compatible with the existing metagame. Otherwise, nobody who still plays would play it – since for most of those people, learning an entirely new meta/game without everyone else onboard is just too much of an investment. Microsoft though does have the magic wand which can get everyone on board. They can also do what we never could: bring back millions of eyes - thousands of new/returning players. ESOC did what made sense in the context our remaining community… hundreds of thousands of hours of making maps, fixing bugs, balance changes, playtesting, spectator UIs, tournaments, shoutcasting, YouTube, kicking back in Twitch chat and watching it all come together. We made something brilliant and to be proud of. We came together and formed our own little corner of the internet. However, the development of the ‘Definitive Edition’ sits within the realms of an entirely different design space with very different goals and circumstances. This is the time to fix so many things, from useless politicians to never used cards.

For the Definitive Edition to be successful, it must appeal to a much broader audience than EP. Microsoft are obviously looking to sell as many units as possible, the primary audience presumably being old fans of the game (and the franchise more broadly). Simply reselling the same product without anything new isn’t too likely to harbour results, surely something a bit more substantial with regards to content is needed. From a competitive standpoint, Age of Empires III has an astounding amount of dead content seeing no play. For example, it seems a shame that 50% of some civs Colonial Age politicians e.g., The Naturalist (4 cows) & The Bishop (2 settlers) are always objectively terrible choices, the same goes for an assortment of Age III & IV politicians as well as countless cards, natives and more. It feels like a missed opportunity that the devs never bothered to patch them. That opportunity though can be exploited now, doing so for AOE3:DE would effectively create thousands of hours of new content to explore without changing any mechanics or adding any new assets. Done well, such changes could even feel ‘authentic’; each change would have to fit the style and flavour of each civ – they would have to make sense. Ultimately, bringing more existing content into the realms of competitive viability would shake up the stagnant meta and pave the way for new exploration, strategies, build orders and ultimately, longevity. Done well this could be very exciting and interesting for fans who if are to return for any length of time, the game needs to feel like not so much a remake/refresh, but like a brand-new game again.
[/spoiler]

I'd love to get some changes together as a community and then see a Microsoft backed beta to test them out. That would honestly get me fully back into playing this game and making videos. Currently there's not really much to make videos about and our tournaments are starting to get real samey. I truly hope that there is a beta, and if there is, that they use it for more than just making sure everything works fine on different hardware etc etc.

I agree with @Mitoe - removing content would't feel very definitive! But also, it's not necessarily bad to let new players mess around with sub-optimal cards. It's all part of the learning curve - which is important for understanding why 'good' cards are indeed good and to actually feel a sense of progression/getting better. When I first picked up the game I was just messing around with my school friends, I played British and did something similar RSY. I rightly decided that sending cards as soon as they became available was the best thing to do so I used to send 3v & 2v in age 1 - sometimes 300w too! (I built a lot of manors before aging) A better player though would know to age up faster and save their shipments for Colonial. I came to see this and started getting the edge over my friends. It was fun. I had that experience from 'bad' cards.

Personally I think the solution is not to remove cards, but to just buff where it is appropriate.

(EDIT: I'm sure there's a fix for advanced plantations lol)
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Post by yemshi »

There is a cool 3v,2v,2v,5,700w,700c FF for spain.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

So @Interjection would you favour the "buff or keep anyway" approach to the "remove what's useless and buff what can have some potential" approach in every case? Even with 1 caravel or 1 falconet?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Bear in mind there is a order to unlock cards, that's why some are weaker than others. The only cards that deserve some thoughts are the unique ones.
Image Image Image
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

I think bad cards should be at least situational, most of them are not because of game design and standart map desire of players, for example explorer dog card may be valid in a map with so many treasures, but there is no map like that except rockies and yukon in re as far as i know; and its not so much either.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

gamevideo113 wrote:So @Interjection would you favour the "buff or keep anyway" approach to the "remove what's useless and buff what can have some potential" approach in every case? Even with 1 caravel or 1 falconet?

Some would even argue that 1 caravel and 1 falconet are not necessarily always bad cards.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Hmm, that's interesting. Two falcs vs two falcs leaves you with no falcs, but three falcs vs two falcs leaves you with two falcs of which one is damaged. It can in other words potentially be a second two-falc shipment. Wowsh!
Pay more attention to detail.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Post by yemshi »

You could just send 1k coin and make three falcs. Saves 30secs and shipment.