AoE3DE Polish and Balance

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: AoE3DE Polish and Balance

Post by Garja »

3 falcs is 600w and 1200g. And you need to gather the crates, drop the art foundry and produce three falcs.
Image Image Image
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Imagine a scenario where you have sent two falconets already and are pressuring your opponent. Let's say you're France and your British opponent is about to send his two falconet shipment and take the fight. If you then send that additional falconet it could be a big deal. Resource shipments are most cost-effective than military shipments regardless of whether it is a one-falc shipment or a two-falc one. The reason you send military shipments is for immediate returns, and the reason you send bad military shipments is for very immediate returns - which naturally makes them rare shipments. I don't think comparing it to the 1000 coin shipment is relevant.
Pay more attention to detail.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Mitoe wrote:
gamevideo113 wrote:So @Interjection would you favour the "buff or keep anyway" approach to the "remove what's useless and buff what can have some potential" approach in every case? Even with 1 caravel or 1 falconet?

Some would even argue that 1 caravel and 1 falconet are not necessarily always bad cards.

Madmen. 1 falc is literally worse than the covered wagon. It's a 500 res worth shipment in age3.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I never said it was good, only that it may sometimes not be as bad as it sounds.

As Gendarme pointed out, sometimes sending a card like 1 falc could put you in a situation where you change the 2 falc vs 2 falc dynamic into a 3 falc vs 2 falc situation, where you could potentially end up with 2 or even 3 falcs remaining if you play it right, which could set you up to continue to slow push their base without committing unnecessarily under their base (or something similar).

Additionally, to create that situation under normal circumstances, you would have to invest in an artillery foundry and spend time training the extra falc or culv, but sending 1 falc would give you more immediate returns without the need to construct a foundry.

It may not be good on paper, but in very specific situations it may be a decent option. Whether or not that specific situation is frequent enough for you to believe it's worth having in your deck is another discussion, but perhaps the card is not so bad as 500 resources.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

EAGLEMUT wrote:literally worse
:hmm:
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

1 caravel maybe it's bad but what about 1 galleon. Galleons train units and are resistent against buildings fire.
Image Image Image
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Thanks GS, I wanted to dig up that link but was too lazy to type "1 falc" into the search bar. XD

Garja wrote:1 caravel maybe it's bad but what about 1 galleon. Galleons train units and are resistent against buildings fire.

I'm ashamed to say that I lost a game once to a guy who shipped a galleon into a pond that was literally inside my base on Saguenay. He kept it out of TC range but prevented me from hunting and spawned units directly into my base :( It was quite a harsh introduction to ESO.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

It would be cool I think if the 1 falc card came with an artillery foundry wagon.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Darwin_ wrote:It would be cool I think if the 1 falc card came with an artillery foundry wagon.

Play NE then :smile:
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Even if i think we are really stretching it i can give you the 1 falc argument. Problem is, your opponent will have another shipment himself with which he can ship 5 huss or 5 goons or 3 cuirs which are 1) more valuable and 2) more consistent counters to 2 falcs than a third falc in a lot of circumstances. You can't really compare a 3v2 falc fight in a vacuum, artillery fights often are not just determined by artillery vs artillery alone. As a matter of fact i have never seen the 1 falc card in any competitive deck because besides spain, every civ realistically has better shipments to put in a deck than 1 falc. Age3 is often the tightest age for card choices, you have to put in units, crates, mercs, military upgrades, eco upgrades, there is basically never room for bad cards like 1 falc. Goodspeed was rightfully making the case for it for RE spain that has terrible age3 cards in his 2014 guide, but in EP spain already has better cards to send like 9 rods or 5 lancers.
You want to make an argument for 1 falc? Ok, that's fine. Can you really make an argument for 9 skirms and 11 ruyters though?
@Garja mentioned that some cards are weaker because cards are unlocked progressively, but since i believe there is no reason to keep the unlock mechanic in AoE3DE i also believe that there is no reason for some cards to exist. They need to either be brought up to an acceptable value or they might as well just be removed.
There is not an infinite space for cards in a deck, you will always pick the better cards. If a card is too bad you will simply never put it in your deck.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

P i k i l i c wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:It would be cool I think if the 1 falc card came with an artillery foundry wagon.

Play NE then :smile:

That's where I got the idea from :P
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.