Moving the Covered Wagon shipment to the Colonial Age

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Moving the Covered Wagon shipment to the Colonial Age

Post by momuuu »

oxaloacetate wrote:
Garja wrote:RIP port unique feature

I've noticed that you like to use your perspective of what the developers intended as an argument (which is problematic in itself, since you can only deduce it), and in this case it is really obvious that they did not think it ruins the uniqueness of the portuguese civilization bonus, based on the count that it actually is a part of the game.

Addendum: It may very well be the case that it does interfere with the porto civilization bonus. It most likely does exactly that, I am just tired of faulty logic being made to further ones own point.
Add. 2: This is a general statement, not some vendetta against Garja specifically.

I think this opinion eventually results in a vendetta against Garja after reading the forums for long enough.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Moving the Covered Wagon shipment to the Colonial Age

Post by Garja »

oxaloacetate wrote:
Garja wrote:RIP port unique feature

I've noticed that you like to use your perspective of what the developers intended as an argument (which is problematic in itself, since you can only deduce it), and in this case it is really obvious that they did not think it ruins the uniqueness of the portuguese civilization bonus, based on the count that it actually is a part of the game.

Addendum: It may very well be the case that it does interfere with the porto civilization bonus. It most likely does exactly that, I am just tired of faulty logic being made to further ones own point.
Add. 2: This is a general statement, not some vendetta against Garja specifically.

You're making your own deduction on what I meant. I never said the devs thought it would ruin Port uniqueness. I just said it does ruin Port uniqueness, period. And btw their unique feature is having one TC for free per age which most importantly means having 2 in colonial when none other civ can.

Now if you really want to dive in the dev argument, I don't see how you can say for sure that 1) they did consider this possibility and let alone 2) they did consider it and they thought it would be fine (why they didn't adopt it themselves then?). There are in fact many points that would suggest they wouldn't like such change:
- firstly, they designed AOE3 with an intentional big gap between pre fortress and post fortress. Not only 1 to 3 TCs but also artillery, and most of techs. I guess that has both to do with history/accuracy and gameplay (to allow fast teching strats);
- secondly, they gave more TCs (and one extra vill) to Ports early on to compensate for no vill cards. Then in third age other civs can build more TCs because 1) otherwise game would suck with just one TC for the whole game and 2) at that point Port are supposed to catch up with other civs' economy so from there they all start on even ground. The 4th an onesd 5th are mostly to be consistent with the civ bonus.
- thirdly, the TC wagon is actually closer to the value of a fortress card than one may think. The fact that it moves and builds by itself can occasionally be very valuable. If it wasn't for 1k wood card then the TC wagon would be a must have with most civs. Also just read the in game description of the card that points out how most civs (all but Ports) can only have one town center until the fortress age.
Image Image Image