Boat Risk Europe Tournament Info

Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Re: Boat Risk Europe Tournament Info

Post by Cocaine »

edeholland wrote:Let's assume Russia and Germany are the best civs again.

Player 1, 2, 3 and 4 pick Russia. Player 5 and 6 pick Germany.
Player 4 thinks "if everybody is Russia, it's better to pick another civ. Player 4 goes Germany.
Because of this, player 5 thinks "too many people are going Germany, I pick Spain"
Next player 3 goes Germany, because only people 2 playing Germany.

Etc etc

Basically, what happens when not all 8 players can agree on the civs?

Lol okay now this is a crazy occurance. Like. What happens if the game goes oos everytime it’s played and thus the tournament never concludes like? Lol. I never had this happen. And Russia or Germany are not over powered civs. No civ is over powered.
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

These are screenshots from last nights game 8 player. Some quit some got beat, I won.

Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Yeah bc you always take the side and camp :hmm:
shit juice :hmm:
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

queenofdestiny wrote:Yeah bc you always take the side and camp :hmm:

Check my latest post about the game I just played and tell me I'm camping

Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Cocaine wrote:

Player 4 thinks "if everybody is Russia, it's better to pick another civ. Player 4 goes Germany.
Because of this, player 5 thinks "too many people are going Germany, I pick Spain"

Etc etc

Lol okay now this is a crazy occurance. Like. What happens if the game goes oos everytime it’s played and thus the tournament never concludes like? Lol. I never had this happen. And Russia or Germany are not over powered civs. No civ is over powered.

In a tournament setting with 8 competitive, high-level players, it's not out of the question they can't agree on a matchup. Your want everything to be as fair and clear as possible, so I still think you should have a rule for when players can't decide on a matchup.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

edeholland wrote:
Cocaine wrote:

Etc etc

In a tournament setting with 8 competitive, high-level players, it's not out of the question they can't agree on a matchup. Your want everything to be as fair and clear as possible, so I still think you should have a rule for when players can't decide on a matchup.

Sure, let’s say the player changing civ in lobby postponing start of the match is disqualified. It will literally come down to who is purposely delaying the start of the match. Just like in a 1v1 tournament hosted here by ESOC. Somehow players don’t have a problem picking civs

Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Thank for your comitment great and fun concept! My feedback would be:
i like choke points and sea play, however game becomes too laggy because of unit spams. So it kills unit control because of mass.
To prevent this:
1. You can make soldiers slowly die like minuteman. (like die in 5 minutes)
2. Add pop cap by tp. (1 tp 100 pop, 2 tp 200,pop ... so on)
3. Make units pop out slower.
4. Make units pop out slower as games on ( lets say 1x speed at min 1:00, x0.5 speed at min 5:00 x0.25 speed at min 10:00 so on).
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Etc etc

I understand how this could happen in theory, but in practice it just doesn’t. There’s no civ that’s so powerful it would merit wasting the entire portion of the game fighting for control of its territory. That would leave you weakened and vulnerable to your neighbors to the point where it’s better to just choose a different civ.

Keep in mind that this tourney, from what @Cocaine said, is about having fun, rather than competing, first and foremost. The people who play this aren’t going to be obsessed with extracting every last advantage like you would in a 1v1 tournament with $1100 on the line.

@Cocaine. If I were you, I would remove the explorers. Most balance issues (no game is perfect) can be overcome, but that gives too much of an advantage.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

Papist wrote:

Etc etc

I understand how this could happen in theory, but in practice it just doesn’t. There’s no civ that’s so powerful it would merit wasting the entire portion of the game fighting for control of its territory. That would leave you weakened and vulnerable to your neighbors to the point where it’s better to just choose a different civ.

Keep in mind that this tourney, from what @Cocaine said, is about having fun, rather than competing, first and foremost. The people who play this aren’t going to be obsessed with extracting every last advantage like you would in a 1v1 tournament with $1100 on the line.

@Cocaine. If I were you, I would remove the

You would have me remove which exactly? And precisely that! This tournament would bring together everyone who just is not that great at 1v1 lets say including myself. LOL I remember I did a tourney like 2 years ago lost to giveyouanxiety and never came back :p that being said, this map does allow for strategic thought on a wider scale, and lots of fun too.

As for the lag comments. Once again this map DOES NOT LAG. How the hell do you think I play a 3:30 hour map (my most recent post under general game recap) And thanks for already stating what I done with the map. I reduced unit spawn times enuffffff that it's gucci now. There is no lag. there is no problems. Why can't people just believe me. Queenofleila confirmed there is no lag, as can anyone that played this scanerio with me. I appriciate the comments and ideas about pop limit per trade post yes it is genius but I don't see a point of doing that when there is no lag. If the game lagged, yes I would implement that pop limit idea based on trade posts but as of right now, its lag free. Trust :)

Ultimately there would be money on the line, I pledged 20$ US. Fundraising is welcome. We could have a prize pool.. But I made the map as fair and balanced as possible. Look at my latest game recap. I won the game by only owning Cuba at the start and strategically taking pieces of land one by one like a cockroach rat LOL.. (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13514) So the tournament is open to all and anyone that just wants to have fun, given a competitive setting to ensure people don't just quit for no reason like often happens in a longer risk game..

I would also have to update this toruney info after doing adjustments to the map but I will do that this weekend hopefully :)

Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer

Post by HUMMAN »

If you are so sure maybe it is not lag but my computer couldnt handle it and 2 people dropped. Either way i could not control my units, so many units weakens game mechanics such as kiting and positioning. 200 unit is optimal for me, >400 no more fun. All in all thanks for your new game mode!
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

A pop limit is good because
-micro and counters are not important when using 500 units
-there is more incentive to push out when you get pop from trade posts
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

@Cocaine. Sorry, seems I nodded off while writing my response :P. I was going to say that you should remove the second explorer that some civs get, because it gives too much of an advantage.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

edeholland wrote:A pop limit is good because
-micro and counters are not important when using 500 units
-there is more incentive to push out when you get pop from trade posts

Fine I’ll implement a pop limit based on trade posts but how? Is there a way to stop units from spawning based on time if a limit is reached? I’m fairly new to scanerio editor

Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

yes you can using modify proto unit select tradpost population limit + 10 I think
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer

Post by Cocaine »

princeofcarthage wrote:yes you can using modify proto unit select tradpost population limit + 10 I think

Yes okay but the units keep spawning past the standard 200 unit limit. My questing is how do I stop those units from producing if it’s timer based. Right now it’s like for example a unit per 1 minute indefinitely

Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer

Post by HUMMAN »

Maybe auto kill extra spawning units.