How to block an ip

No Flag jack123_
Crossbow

How to block an ip

Post by jack123_ »

if i have someone's ip how can i block it so i wont face him in qs and the guy cant join me with smurfs.
this gonna make qs more safe and fun.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: How to block an ip

Post by Gendarme »

You can't block IPs on ESO, but you can detect their IPs and quit the game the first second. They can change their IP though, so if the person is targeting you there is not much you can do other than smurfing yourself or not playing in QS.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag jack123_
Crossbow

Post by jack123_ »

Gendarme wrote:You can't block IPs on ESO, but you can detect their IPs and quit the game the first second. They can change their IP though, so if the person is targeting you there is not much you can do other than smurfing yourself or not playing in QS.

i cant block an ip to connect me ? are u sure ?
@Dolan @musketeer925
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Yeah ok my bad. You can probably make them FTJ you somehow.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Yeah there is a option somewhere in windows firewall
shit juice :hmm:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You can use windows firewall, or your router's firewall if you want to stop them before even getting to your PC
https://superuser.com/questions/1159401 ... windows-10
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

The good side of teaching people how to ip block on qs: fuck cheaters
The bad side: "Oooh I hate this mercs guy. block. damm ATP? block."
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Block everyone except your friend and point-trade without having to wait 2 minutes!
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Step 1: IP block all other active players
Step 2: Embrace the "ded game" meme
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Step 1: IP block all other active players
Step 2: Embrace the "ded game" meme

ded
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I doubt using the firewall to block an IP will also block the player in the ESO matchmaking service. I'm curious, though, if that works.

Because when you block the IP in your OS or router, you block a direct connection with that IP (over any protocol), ie you connecting with an IP via the browser/terminal/etc, or that IP connecting to you directly over the WAN (aka, what we call public internet).

But when you connect to ESO, you connect to another IP and inside this connection to ESO, which is white-listed in your firewall, you connect to yet another IP, but this happens beyond the rules you set in your firewall/router. It's not a direct connection, you're meeting over an external IP service which does the matchmaking. It's like using a VPN to bypass an IP block.

So, if the game interface doesn't offer this option to block specific IPs, I doubt this can work. But again, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

P̶S̶.̶ ̶I̶m̶a̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶L̶o̶L̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶W̶e̶s̶t̶e̶r̶n̶ ̶E̶u̶r̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶b̶l̶o̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶I̶P̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶F̶r̶a̶n̶c̶e̶.̶ ̶D̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶F̶r̶e̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶e̶w̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶u̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶n̶-̶F̶r̶e̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶s̶?̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶'̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶l̶a̶r̶i̶o̶u̶s̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶.̶
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You can block the IP in this case because for quicksearch it will try to set up a p2p connection. It may find a match but will then fail to set up the connection. The result is you won't match with them. In theory at least.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, if it does a P2P connection, it might fail. But if it does a connection over ESO, it's basically like a VPN.

PS. I realised my LoL example is not so relevant, because LoL games are hosted on a server, so any player IP block will fail.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well, anyway, this is an interesting technical problem and if any suggestion works or fails, we'll understand something about how AOE3 does networking.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I think buckethead made a tool that can detect known cheaters and then automatically skip them in quicksearch. It ended up not being endorsed because of esoc maffia.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

It probably detected them after the connection was made by ESO and dropped the game. I don't see how it would detect the IP before the connection was made.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Yea of course, once you match with someone in qs you have their ip and a few seconds before the countdown starts. A tool could detect the ip and compare it vs cheaters ips in milliseconds and cancel the game if it was a positive match before the countdown starts.