reverse smurfs on ESO

Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

reverse smurfs on ESO

Post by jgals »

Lately i've gotten back into AOE3 online. I fell a few points in rank when I first started, but am now back up to low MS. One thing I've noticed around this PR range is there are a lot of what I would call reverse smurfs, that is people who are way worse than their rank. Back in my day, an MS basically had a grip on the general strategies of most civs at least. I knew back then that I couldn't let my guard down with an MS and though they may make some micro or card errors they would not be an easy target. Now a days I play MS games and a lot of the MS seem like they just started last week. Strange enough the low level games I played often have surprises in the forms of corporals or even lances. WTF is going on with PR right now? Has the ESOC patch fucked it all up? Is it just not as competitive a game anymore and so higher PR means less than it used to? I like to say that I am a smurf becuase I play a lot of team games and there is always a reverse smurf to fuck it all up. I've had enough of this shit! I try to only play 1v1s to up my PR since I almost always win those, but few people ever want to play.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Re: reverse smurfs on ESO

Post by Hazza54321 »

ask @WickedCossack if you have any queries around the ms level as he has alot of experience playing with them
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'd imagine that as overall active player counts have decreased, ranks have tended to consolidate more towards the middle. This means 2010 major is captain today, and 2010 MS is 2nd lt today, or so.

There is also how the horrendous PR algorithm treats new players and low level home cities. It is laughably easy to get an account with inflated PR.

ESOC Patch has no bearing on it.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

deleted_user wrote:I'd imagine that as overall active player counts have decreased, ranks have tended to consolidate more towards the middle. This means 2010 major is captain today, and 2010 MS is 2nd lt today, or so.

There is also how the horrendous PR algorithm treats new players and low level home cities. It is laughably easy to get an account with inflated PR.

I dont buy it. skill wise imo the game improved a lot. maybe there are more players in the mid tiers today, but they are better then before. (I used to think the oposite, then I watched some old recs in agesanc and jpcommunity not long ago.... wtf, those colonels would be capitain tier today)
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

I can’t believe these Smurfs are not Butifle
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Why does people sometimes ask me "are you grunt" ?
I consider myself to be pretty happy.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Indeed, i think OP's issues with reverse smurfs were occasional misplays by his teammates because the whole spectrum of players shifted towards low pr levels because of the reduced number of players. A today's captain would have been a major 8 years ago, exactly as a today's colonel who would have been brigadier back then. That is why there is practically no one between pr 40 and pr 50. To make an extreme example, if you had only 2 top level players in the whole ladder they would probably settle below PR10.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Well, there is nothing strange with
a lot of the MS seem like they just started last week
. You literally get that PR if you nail a 5 win streak at the beginning.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lemmings121 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:I'd imagine that as overall active player counts have decreased, ranks have tended to consolidate more towards the middle. This means 2010 major is captain today, and 2010 MS is 2nd lt today, or so.

I dont buy it. skill wise imo the game improved a lot. maybe there are more players in the mid tiers today, but they are better then before. (I used to think the oposite, then I watched some old recs in agesanc and jpcommunity not long ago.... wtf, those colonels would be capitain tier today)

nah. you confuse knowledge of the game with skill. skillwise this game is pretty daed lol. there is a lot more knowledge, obviously, strategies are more fleshed out etc.

don't know if what callen says is true though. on one hand yes, less players means less fish to eat, so ranks should gravitate towards the middle, but, it also means less sharks to get eaten by, so ranks aren't curbed as they would be with more active players.

then there is also the difficulty of smurfs and pr reset.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

umeu wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:

nah. you confuse knowledge of the game with skill. skillwise this game is pretty daed lol. there is a lot more knowledge, obviously, strategies are more fleshed out etc.

ok I think i see what you mean, in the old days probably there was a lot more skilled people with micro/macro, but game knowledge is miles ahead today.

But taking everything into account, it stands as a increase in skill, at least in the middle tiers (cpt-ltcol) where i have most of my games, but i would say across the whole board it improved. Try watching some jpcommuny games from 2010-2013 era. those pr40 players wouldnt reach 30 today.

For an earlier game, i found a rec of myself in 2009 on agesacntuary, I was major in that rec... in theory pretty much the same rank as today, but watching that, there is no way that game is above today's 2lt level

(but I do concede that if you go back to the time where aoe was an active game, like wcg times, people where really good in the top tiers..)
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

umeu wrote:nah. you confuse knowledge of the game with skill.
On the contrary; game knowledge is a mental skill that you are for some reason discarding. Physical skill is not everything, especially in a game with such rich possibilities as AoE3 has. Having superior game knowledge can mean you are more skilled than some guy with just high APM and no idea what he's doing. An overall skill in this game is a combination of both physical and mental skills.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

It's EP, alright!
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
On the contrary; game knowledge is a mental skill that you are for some reason discarding. Physical skill is not everything, especially in a game with such rich possibilities as AoE3 has. Having superior game knowledge can mean you are more skilled than some guy with just high APM and no idea what he's doing. An overall skill in this game is a combination of both physical and mental skills.

the thing is that "mental skill " is a lot easier accesible nowadays via streams and youtube videos etc. which makes it a lot less valuable becasue its quite easy to obtain. Just htink about how fast people adopted the pull trick ( its not hard to execute, but back in 2006 you oculd have probably get an edge just by knowing such things, whereas nowadays everyone is aware of it)
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Japan mmTakezo
Crossbow
ESO: mmTakezo

Post by mmTakezo »

Garja wrote:Well, there is nothing strange with

you're right I have bought the steam game last week and to win xp I played against private ,and I won everything and now I am a second lieutenant but my level is sergeant and nobody wants to play against me and who wants to play has too much level for me so...............this is bullshit.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

mmTakezo wrote:

you're right I have bought the steam game last week and to win xp I played against private ,and I won everything and now I am a second lieutenant but my level is sergeant and nobody wants to play against me and who wants to play has too much level for me so...............this is bullshit.

Well that's the thing, you have to play a few games against people on your level so that you will drop down to sergeant. You can't expect to play against sergeants when you are still a lieut.

Also, for farming XP, I recommend the XPMOD, it instantly makes all your home city levels over 100.
Japan mmTakezo
Crossbow
ESO: mmTakezo

Post by mmTakezo »

edeholland wrote:
mmTakezo wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well that's the thing, you have to play a few games against people on your level so that you will drop down to sergeant. You can't expect to play against sergeants when you are still a lieut.

Also, for farming XP, I recommend the XPMOD, it instantly makes all your home city levels over 100.

for xp I've done it with another account and I have reached 117 xp but with sergeant rank,and I had the same problem they told me that I have too much level that's why I bought another steam license, and now I'm a second lieutenant I do not understand anything ,maybe it's just that I play with Japan???I do not know how to play with another civ :chinese: I am a I know :P
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher
ESO: Yvan_Le_Bon

Post by bigsmoke »

Googol wrote:I can’t believe these Smurfs are not Butifle

Its not like Butifle to smurf on other accounts.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

mmTakezo wrote:
edeholland wrote:
Show hidden quotes

for xp I've done it with another account and I have reached 117 xp but with sergeant rank,and I had the same problem they told me that I have too much level that's why I bought another steam license, and now I'm a second lieutenant I do not understand anything ,maybe it's just that I play with Japan???I do not know how to play with another civ :chinese: I am a I know :P

Dont worry too much about beeing a 2lt if you think you arent that good yet, just try to play some 1v1s vs other 2lts, if you arent in their level yet you will quickly decay back into your ranking.
Zimbabwe PeachTree
Skirmisher

Post by PeachTree »

I can second this, after a 10 win streak at beginning playing as indians, i reached rank 24, but now i have lost more games and equalized at rank 14 (sgt).
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

PeachTree wrote:

I can second this, after a 10 win streak at beginning playing as indians, i reached rank 24, but now i have lost more games and equalized at rank 14 (sgt).

Its just at the beginning really. I reached PR27 after like 7 games but then went down a tiny bit.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Somehow aft r many games my rank is only pr27 while my real rank is pr43. How did this happen!?
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

gibson wrote:Somehow aft r many games my rank is only pr27 while my real rank is pr43. How did this happen!?

ok vane
~~ pecelot rip ~~
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

gibson wrote:Somehow aft r many games my rank is only pr27 while my real rank is pr43. How did this happen!?

They wanna hold u down
They wanna make you think you need z move or hotkeys

stay strong!
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:

sure, we can argue about the semantics of it, but the point is, he's confusing 2 different things. I'm not discarding it. I don't see how you reach that conclusion. But, it's obvious that once a strat is used, that it becomes public knowledge, and everyone who wants to do it can copy it and have the same success with it, provided they have similar mechanical skill. Take player 1 from back then, lets say he has mechanical skill, but doesn't know the current meta. He will only have to learn some of the strats, and he will be a top player. Take a player from now, with all the mental skills of today, which means he knows all the strats/bo's (even though it's not a skill, because it's just knowledge, but whatever. The ability to come up with new strats is a skill, but tbh, very few people do that, most are just copy cats). and put him back in the time the game was active, he might be a top player for 1 or 2 months, then everyone has caught up with his strategy, and he will be just a mediocre player.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lordraphael wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:

the thing is that "mental skill " is a lot easier accesible nowadays via streams and youtube videos etc. which makes it a lot less valuable becasue its quite easy to obtain. Just htink about how fast people adopted the pull trick ( its not hard to execute, but back in 2006 you oculd have probably get an edge just by knowing such things, whereas nowadays everyone is aware of it)

things like that arent even a skill. We use the concept of skill specifically to contrast with knowledge in many cases. Strats, bo's, and in general the meta, they are just knowledge. Things such as adapting, predicting your opponent's moves etc, sure, those are mental skills. But I wasn't talking about that. And there's no reason to assume ppl back then didn't do that either. There's also little reason to assume that on average, the best players back then were a shit tone better, if any better, than the best players now on average. Just that there currently are a whole lot less of them, and thus competition is less intense, and ppl can get away with lazier play. which is a negative spiral pretty much. In sc2 pro scene you can't get away with clicking ur units from barracks with mouse. If aoe3 scene was as intense as sc2 scene, perhaps you couldnt here either. But because it isn't, and it probably has never been, you can easily get away with it. In fact, you can dragbox yourself to 3rd place spot ez.