Supremacy Cup Conclusion & Feedback Thread

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Supremacy Cup Conclusion & Feedback Thread

Post by Goodspeed »

From the few times I did watch it looked great, definitely a big success that should be repeated imo. Some things I think would make it even better:

- Make it 2 days and include a round of 32 which is bo1. Make the round of 16 bo3.
- Introduce a point system where players get points depending on where they finished and keep leaderboards. Then maybe organize some round robin event end of the year where the top 5 battle it out for the final victory. The advantage of round robin besides the increased amount of high level games is that you can have everyone play each other twice and you can alternate having the first pick, making it perfectly balanced.
- The betting event needs a dedicated admin and more exposure. I think it would be very fun to include in an event like this if there are enough participants.

In general I think we should do more small round robin events. It's a very good format when you have few players actually competing.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

yes to round robin for winners
no to round of 16 bo3!
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

princeofcarthage wrote:Thanks for your feedback, but I think it's wrong of you to say we weren't actively looking for casters, considering I personally pm'd over 10 people and mitoe was asking as well. Regarding caster and co-caster, when we first decided to host it, It was decided that I would cast it with rotating co-casters. But later it was improvised to have 2-3 main casters in rotation. After that like I posted in earlier posts I did ask for main casters and yet I had no replies. I think after being asked it's casters responsibility to reply back with preferred timings.

Well I wasn't actually talking about whether you did or didn't look actively for casters. I was mostly replying to what you said: "It was your stuff to figure out how you would cast together and simultaneously play in the series and then reach out to us with a schedule.". But how are we supposed to have a schedule? See, I lost in RO16 so I could have casted, but I might as well have gone to semi finals. I can't know in advance when I'm going to be available, I don't have a schedule.
Imo you either need to focus on the casters. Co-casters aren't a big deal since they can switch easily without needing to restart the stream (which you want to avoid as much as possible). Try to rely on casters that are not participating in the event, or then have several possible players casting, in case some can't. But I know the latter isn't always possible because you may not have enough volunteers.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

I loved the event , there should be more of these :) . The delay in streaming/ scheduling issues could be improved. A lot of times it felt that the streamer was not sure what to do next after a game ended. Ideally the stream shud see back to back matches with like max 5-10 min gaps.

2 days event YES. Everything before semis on Saturday , Semi and Finals on Sunday.
Finals BO5 , Semi BO3 , rest all BO1.
Total 32 players in the tournament seems good.

As far as streaming matches is concerned :
Lets say a standard non-kynisie match takes about 20 mins , 5 mins for players joining , 5 mins misc. So we have a total of 30 mins per game.
Stream around half the games of RO32 , RO16 and all games of RO8. That is a total of 8 + 4 + 4 = 16 games to be streamed on Saturday. (so 8 hrs)
So, if us lazy bunch start the event at 14:00 GMT , then we are done by 22:00 GMT. We can stretch a couple of hours here and there etc.

The bracket can be setup with a scheduled time, with a gap of 30 mins after each game. Thus players know whom and when will they play etc. similar thingy for casters.

If ESOC can pull of 75% of above , next event will be more smooth :D
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

how would you streeam all ro 8 matches if theres only 1 caster ? That would create at least 2 hours of waiting for the last ro 8 match which is very unfair to the players and dragging out the tourney.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Yeah can't stream all ro8 matches for sure, I am also of the opinion of 2 days for the next event, we had discussed the possibility of multiple streams this time as well, one of the main problem is lack of casters
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

princeofcarthage wrote:Yeah can't stream all ro8 matches for sure, I am also of the opinion of 2 days for the next event, we had discussed the possibility of multiple streams this time as well, one of the main problem is lack of casters

I'll do it!
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

never said only 1 caster, 1 person cannot cast for 9 hrs straight. Except Veni , maybe inter :D. Small delay for players is acceptable i feel.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

ssaraf wrote:never said only 1 caster, 1 person cannot cast for 9 hrs straight. Except Veni , maybe inter :D. Small delay for players is acceptable i feel.

define small delays. I had like 5 hours downtime. probably 6 and i played like 3 hours./ If anyone wants to check my replays how long i played infact would be appreciated. :) )
thats pretty fucking bad-
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

deleted_user wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Yeah can't stream all ro8 matches for sure, I am also of the opinion of 2 days for the next event, we had discussed the possibility of multiple streams this time as well, one of the main problem is lack of casters

I'll do it!

Ah callen, you are a good caster but don't make promises you'll not want to live up to. It's a bad habit. "An honest man never promises anything"
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

momuuu wrote:
deleted_user wrote:

I'll do it!

Ah callen, you are a good caster but don't make promises you'll not want to live up to. It's a bad habit. "An honest man never promises anything"

I've never once backed out of a casting gig that I'd said I'd do, and I've casted a lot of matches. But I do appreciate your concern! I'm only talking about casting a couple of the later series when they get good so a match isn't missed. That's very appealing to me.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Just highlight couple games per round on saturday and let players know in advance that the game will be streamed.
Image Image Image
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

momuuu wrote:About the seeding: At some point it was decided that developing an automated seeding process would vastly improve the efficiency of the seeding process and release the burden on staff. I think that in practise unforseen circumstances fuck up the seeding system and create more work than that manual seeding would. If just one guy could quickly export the details, check them, use challonge or something, and then easily enter them into the system, I think that would be about as efficient as having someone with enough expertise (relatively rare in the staff at least back when I was part of it) run the seeding programm multiple times to correct all mistakes that will inevitably happen.

This event was seeded manually, pretty much as you describe.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Australia Timba
Skirmisher
ESO: Timba_

Post by Timba »

Starting these at 15 GMT is a really bad time for me. Maybe if the starting time was varied by a few hours from event to event more people could participate?
The best moment I've ever seen in AoEIII: youtu.be/LuMcFUjt6zQ?t=12m
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

I greatly appreciate the feedback here and also the praise. Here is my takeaway for improving the event:

- Multiple streams will allow for almost all of the games to be casted
- Event might be better if spread over 2 days (however, if time allows it and players are open to it, it could be completed in 1). This makes a BO3 RO16 very feasible (however, there is also a lot of demand for BO1 games!)
- There is interest in a season-style event (like earning points for how far you go in a tour, tracked throughout the entirety of the season's run)
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Keep bo1 ro16. More fun!
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

wouldnt a tournament like this benefit from recorded games being casted till round of 8? i mean ye u give away the winner in advance but that would speed up the earlier rounds quite well.
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Some extra feedback:

- Show the state of the tournament in text small below. Like "RO64", "RO32" etc...
- For next time a thumbnail for on YouTube is useful. I can help with that.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

some extra feedback: give me my money. I wanna buy chucks but im broke so give me ma money
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Mitoe wrote:Sorry for making you wait so long, by the way :(

I like this stuff very much, bowing for somebody else, sir Mitoe you have my respect
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

lordraphael wrote:some extra feedback: give me my money. I wanna buy chucks but im broke so give me ma money

Beavers ran away with your money. Good luck finding them!
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

When I first heard about this tourney I thought it was a great idea. As I have a relatively busy real life, the idea of being able to play a few games on a (for me) Sunday afternoon, without commiting to days or weeks of games, was great. I love the idea in principle.

As I see that this is a less formal (perhaps more speed run) tournament, that requires less commitment, I also feel it is important to keep the time span to a minimum. This would mean BO 1 RO 16 and being more fluid with the streaming schedule to keep to a shorter tourney length.

Obviously this may result in upsets. But, as this is a more casual tournament, I think this isn't a problem and actually adds to the viewing experience.

In order to allow greater accessibility to the tournament, the schedule needs to be kept to more strictly (meaning more fluid choice in casting of games) and best of one series for the round of 16.

Thanks for taking the time to read. :)