Recap of the first "1 day" tourney

Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Recap of the first "1 day" tourney

Post by lordraphael »

So with this finished at last. I think we should evaluate what has been good /bad and how to improve the next 1 day tourney. First of all it was a great initiative, sth I and many others have been advocating for a long time and im glad we finally got what we wanted.
Now what has been good? The planning beforehand seemed to be nice. Rules and mappools were already set and the discord scheduling channel was also nice and pretty easy to navigate. However there are a few things that could be improved I think.
First I think it would be wise to have a check in a few hours before the tourney starts, this way we avoid unforeseen dropouts. Players that cant check in at that time for w.e. reason could message the staff about it beforehand so that they could still play.

Furthermore I felt like the tourney dragged on for to long, the point of having such tourneys is to have them as short as possible so that as many players as possible can participate. Now I dont think further shortening the bo series per round is necessary. I think its fun to have bo 1 in earlier rounds, which allows upsets as there have been quite a few this tourney but there also should be longer series eventually which we currently have. I would try to minimize the downtime between rounds more. I had a lot of downtime inbetween my series and I could have played them much faster. This was mainly due to how casting was done.
I think lots of players including myself were hesitant to start games because it was unsure if it would be casted or not / if you needed games to cast. To shorten this downtime id emphasise the necessity to play the games asap more. This also means that you dont get to always cast the games you want but it drastically reduces downtime inbetween series and the overall length of the tourney. A similar approach was being done in sc2 back when those weekly tourneys still existed. Casters would take the best series that they could cast atm and not force players to wait for their games to be casted. Now I know that this kind of sucks for the viewer but imo its better that way. To avoid losing out on potentially good series you could also try to get more casters which just reccord their casting so that you could upload it on youtube or do another stream with those castings.

Of course there are still things about which we have no influence like this annoying nolifekid that is the invitespammer :)

Could have forgotten sth but those are my thoughts about it. Well done guys!!
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Recap of the first "1 day" tourney

Post by edeholland »

Congratulations again :)

I'm glad you actually post quite a bit, I have never seen the badge of Blackstar on the forums :(
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

You really need an avatar now, Rapha. The badge looks fucking stupid without one.
Pay more attention to detail.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Gendarme wrote:You really need an avatar now, Rapha. The badge looks fucking stupid without one.

that is my avatar
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

Maybe try to talk about it a bit earlier, bc diarouga told me he would have like to play but didn't know there was a tourney (that's not only for him ofc but that mays have been the case of other players aswell)

I agree on everywhat rapha said, I wonder if that would be possible to have like 2 casting channels working at the same time on early rounds to speed up the process ?
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

bwinner1 wrote:Maybe try to talk about it a bit earlier, bc diarouga told me he would have like to play but didn't know there was a tourney (that's not only for him ofc but that mays have been the case of other players aswell)

I agree on everywhat rapha said, I wonder if that would be possible to have like 2 casting channels working at the same time on early rounds to speed up the process ?

Nobody contacted him? weird
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

I offer not to cast games until ro16 or ro8.
1st. players will finish their games faster 2nd. in ro16 or 8 there will be high pr players so those games should be more interesting to cast
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

You can always have the players record their matches with a third slot and stream a cast of the replays
De Funk
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Raphael cheated by using the campaign Aztecs civ and gaining an unfair advantage. Remove his badge and ban him from all tournaments forever!

/s
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

still big tourneys are better but here and there a weekend tourney isnt bad
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Are big tournaments better? Insane amount of forfeits, delays, generally low quality streams, impossible to follow the storylines and tournaments if you're somewhat less active, seemingly puts a big weight on the shoulders of top players and other negative aspects make me doubt that. As someone that's not really watching streams much, I think I'd generally be more likely to tune into a 1-2 day tournament that's well managed and quick than the dragging shitfest that the ASC's have been lately.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

momuuu wrote:Are big tournaments better? Insane amount of forfeits, delays, generally low quality streams, impossible to follow the storylines and tournaments if you're somewhat less active, seemingly puts a big weight on the shoulders of top players and other negative aspects make me doubt that. As someone that's not really watching streams much, I think I'd generally be more likely to tune into a 1-2 day tournament that's well managed and quick than the dragging shitfest that the ASC's have been lately.

I think one day tournaments are better, or one week-end tournaments.
Big tournaments are really exhausting for players, and probably less exciting for viewers.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Big tourneys are just more competitive though, since not everyone can play in a 1-day tourney because there is no scheduling. It also usually means streams several times a week for a few months, instead of having one super long stream (that most people probably won't watch entirely) every few weekends. But yeah there are definitely some advantages for the 1 day format too
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

Kaiserklein wrote:Big tourneys are just more competitive though, since not everyone can play in a 1-day tourney because there is no scheduling. It also usually means streams several times a week for a few months, instead of having one super long stream (that most people probably won't watch entirely) every few weekends. But yeah there are definitely some advantages for the 1 day format too

big tournaments in aoe 3 are not very competitive cause tournament shouldn't last 3-4 months. It's hard to maintain your level thru out the tournament. I even had such brakes from aoe that i just came to eso to play my tournament match, and im not the only one.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Argentina AraGun
Lancer
ESO: AraGun_OP

Post by AraGun »

How bout get more casters to cast games simultaneously?
So people can choose which games to watch or watch 2 at the same time.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Raphael cheated by using the campaign Aztecs civ and gaining an unfair advantage. Remove his badge and ban him from all tournaments forever!

/s

i know its a joke, but is there a difference?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

princeofkabul wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Big tourneys are just more competitive though, since not everyone can play in a 1-day tourney because there is no scheduling. It also usually means streams several times a week for a few months, instead of having one super long stream (that most people probably won't watch entirely) every few weekends. But yeah there are definitely some advantages for the 1 day format too

big tournaments in aoe 3 are not very competitive cause tournament shouldn't last 3-4 months. It's hard to maintain your level thru out the tournament. I even had such brakes from aoe that i just came to eso to play my tournament match, and im not the only one.

Yea I agree with this. You can't just play 20h/week during 4 months, so at one point you end up being rusty.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Not even rusty, just motivation goes away pretty quick.
Weekend tourney makes scheduling much easier, even more if it is hosted at set dates .
Image Image Image
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

umeu wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Raphael cheated by using the campaign Aztecs civ and gaining an unfair advantage. Remove his badge and ban him from all tournaments forever!

/s

i know its a joke, but is there a difference?

XPAztec is the regular civ... Campaign civs have “SPC” in the name.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I'd imagine he wanted to know if anything was changed apart from the name.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

pecelot wrote:I'd imagine he wanted to know if anything was changed apart from the name.

Well if there no differences I'd imagine the devs wouldn't have bothered putting in a second civ