Because I just wasted an hour and half...

Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Because I just wasted an hour and half...

Post by edeholland »

InsectPoison wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I don't know and I don't give a shit. Ask some other mod. It's just irritating to see that a post that says "ESOC protects cheaters".

This is exactly the type of behaviour i expected from ESOC mods , they don't care at all about cheaters and how they are ruining the game but will always come out with some stupid "no witch hunt " excuse when there is clear evidance of cheating going on. If you are not mature enough to reply to a serious topic as a mod then i suggest you step down and fuck off.

What makes you think that? Have I not proven that I am trying to work on a solution here? Ideally one that works for everyone? And has Xeelee not explained why we have had the "no witch hunt" policy for so long? I can't say your reply is much more mature. I would love to hear your feedback on the solutions that were proposed here, then we can actually move forward instead of accusing each other (which is precisely the thing that we want to prevent).
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

edeholland wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:
Show hidden quotes

This is exactly the type of behaviour i expected from ESOC mods , they don't care at all about cheaters and how they are ruining the game but will always come out with some stupid "no witch hunt " excuse when there is clear evidance of cheating going on. If you are not mature enough to reply to a serious topic as a mod then i suggest you step down and fuck off.

What makes you think that? Have I not proven that I am trying to work on a solution here? Ideally one that works for everyone? And has Xeelee not explained why we have had the "no witch hunt" policy for so long? I can't say your reply is much more mature. I would love to hear your feedback on the solutions that were proposed here, then we can actually move forward instead of accusing each other (which is precisely the thing that we want to prevent).

Ok my bad, i shouldn't have generalised all the mods togethor like that, my post was aimed at @kami_ryu and the way he responded to gryphoon.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

@gryphoon94

I used coarse language but it wasn't personal or anything. ESOC does care about cheating and you're obviously free to discuss how that's handled. Don't talk to me about it though because I ran out of fucks. I wanted to show zoom what's what, is all.

@InsectPoison

your hurtful words have no power over me
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

kami_ryu wrote:@gryphoon94

I used coarse language but it wasn't personal or anything. ESOC does care about cheating and you're obviously free to discuss how that's handled. Don't talk to me about it though because I ran out of fucks. I wanted to show zoom what's what, is all.

@InsectPoison

your hurtful words have no power over me

I prefered it when you were just Kami_ryu
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

@kami_ryu
It's not productive to write when you are pissed. Stuff like "I don't know and I don't give a shit. Ask some other mod." can potentially degrade the staff's image, which is always a concern. Keep yourself from posting stuff when angry :)

@edeholland
When you come up with something and need a helping hand I'll be glad to make a structure and start the operations.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

ESOC definitely needs to create better rules regarding cheater accusations. The current system just seems to be based on the whims of the administration team. I cannot for the life of me see why SirMusket can be accused publicly, but other people cannot. The moderators might have good intentions behind what they're doing, but from a user-perspective this looks like bias. The idea of a 'report cheater' forum that only the accuser and moderators can see is a great idea. It allows people to make important accusations without any possibility of it being a witchhunt. It also doesn't give off the impression that ESOC is a website for reporting cheaters.

I don't agree with having a separate volunteer team to manage these reports. When you make anonymous reports there's a certain amount of trust you have to have. If I had to reveal my first name while providing evidence; it would look extremely bad if a moderator were to go telling people my name. Accountability for judges is important. I don't think you can trust people who were only chosen because they were popular. If a member of the ESOC team does something unethical; his status is at risk. If moderators are users who have been selected for their administrative abilities then it only makes sense to have them be in charge of reviewing reports. We certainly wouldn't want scenarios where Umeu and Lejend are reviewing reports against each other. If 'judges' are picked solely by their popularity then there's going to be a natural bias against unpopular members. If ESOC is to implement reports then it is essential that the people handling those reports are trustworthy and able to be held accountable. Furthermore, the mods will be the ones administering punishments. This already necessitates their involvement in the process, and requires a complete review of the report. Because of this, having a volunteer team would not save time, and would, in fact, only make the process more bureaucratic and inefficient. It would allow for more possible bias, yet provides no tangible benefit.

I would suggest having moderators review the reports. If they agree that the person is guilty then a vote/poll can be held with a full briefing of the evidence. The users can vote if they think he is guilty or not. If >60% think he's guilty then he can be punished. Although, if someone cheats during a tournament, or something of the sort, then it's obviously up to the mods' discretion, with no need of a vote. I think having the community vote on regular cheaters makes sense, since this is more of a community issue rather than an ESOC one. Likewise, ESOC retains its ability to regulate itself. Having the community decide a guilty/not guilty decision would also help clear up many inevitable accusations of moderator bias. Realistically, voting on the issue would be more of a rubber stamp of whatever the moderator's say. Video game communities despise cheaters, so virtually no one is immune from damning evidence.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

@Ashvin Oh I am more than aware of that. I'm not pissed though, I'm just disgustingly apathetic. I do so little for ESOC anyways these days that I wouldn't mind stepping down from the community team. I should probably just calm my shit and just be a laid back like kami_ryu was though and keep being a part of ESOC. I sometimes forget that my abrasive style should be kept for those who are close to me and not on a public forum (especially if I'm representing ESOC). I don't particularly want to be a dick, it's just who I am and I'm very lazy about not being one these days.

For what it's worth (probably very little) I do legitimately appreciate you all. Even people I'm rude to. I love this community. Take it or leave it, believe me or don't, but you guys are wonderful. Me being rude doesn't mean I think any less of whomever I'm talking to (unless I specifically say so, right?).

Anyway. carry on
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Amsel_ wrote:I don't agree with having a separate volunteer team to manage these reports. When you make anonymous reports there's a certain amount of trust you have to have. If I had to reveal my first name while providing evidence; it would look extremely bad if a moderator were to go telling people my name. Accountability for judges is important. I don't think you can trust people who were only chosen because they were popular. If a member of the ESOC team does something unethical; his status is at risk. If moderators are users who have been selected for their administrative abilities then it only makes sense to have them be in charge of reviewing reports. If ESOC is to implement reports then it is essential that the people handling those reports are trustworthy and able to be held accountable. Furthermore, the mods will be the ones administering punishments. This already necessitates their involvement in the process, and requires a complete review of the report. Because of this, having a volunteer team would not save time, and would, in fact, only make the process more bureaucratic and inefficient. It would allow for more possible bias, yet provides no tangible benefit.

Okay I tell you the reason I had when I proposed a team besides the staff. The staff does a plenty of work, maintains the forums, checks the posting standards on the forums, maintains the patch, maintains the stream quality, checks on the tournament quality, makes sure tourneys don't take long, uploading the recs/videos on yt, schedules casters, schedules players, makes new maps, makes sure there's less idle time between two tourneys. And in the process, the staff exposes itself to a lot of criticism. Couple of days back someone criticised Rikikipu for his maps and claimed it was because of Riki that his team lost. Almost round the clock, the community team takes the heat for biased moderation, banning people for no reason and stuff. Media team sometime takes the blame for some games not being played at all (reason can be anything from bad timing of tourney to not making efficient brackets).

In short the staff has been taking the blame for anything that happens in the community, being a former member of ESOC Staff I realize the importance of maintaining a good image before the entire community a little bit more than you. While I understand your concern of sharing information with "popular players" of community and responsible staff members, I'd assure this qualities- "popularity" and "responsibility" are not mutually exclusive. All of these staff members were once ordinary but now they wear colors doesn't mean other regular users are not responsible. I suggested the names because I believe they have the knowledge to find anything which is beyond the possibility of happening in the game because they have experience of so many years that they can be sure.

We certainly wouldn't want scenarios where Umeu and Lejend are reviewing reports against each other. If 'judges' are picked solely by their popularity then there's going to be a natural bias against unpopular members.

This is one of the reasons why a team is preferred over a single person judging players. Do you think other members of the team will not do anything if they see Umeu blaming Lejend for no reason at all? (First of all, Umeu won't do it at all I know, but lets for the argument's sake suppose he does.) Also in the proposed system they need to give the explanation of all the weird things that they noticed in the game, do you still think your agrument is valid? I think not.

I would suggest having moderators review the reports. If they agree that the person is guilty then a vote/poll can be held with a full briefing of the evidence. The users can vote if they think he is guilty or not. If >60% think he's guilty then he can be punished. Although, if someone cheats during a tournament, or something of the sort, then it's obviously up to the mods' discretion, with no need of a vote.

Do you know why they were chosen as mods? Not because they were good at the game but because of their interaction with the community. This is also a reason why a separate team should be made because the people for this will be chosen on their abilities required for this task.

I think having the community vote on regular cheaters makes sense, since this is more of a community issue rather than an ESOC one. Likewise, ESOC retains its ability to regulate itself.

Okay so now, what happens to the argument of p1 hating p2 so he claims him to be a cheater? You can have multiple polls asking about the credibility of any X player. But a smart person won't believe it until he sees some proofs. So I do not simply believe this quote.

Having the community decide a guilty/not guilty decision would also help clear up many inevitable accusations of moderator bias.

This is far-fetched, I believe you do not have much experience on this forums/in this community but this community has seen what happens when names are not redacted and the accused comes on ESOC just to take the drama on the next level. This doesn't even save the mods, because when the shit hits the fan, mods have to step in and then they take the heat.

PS: I don't know you man, so I do not post it to demean you or anything, just putting arguments so the staff can consider this before they create a system. All these points lead to efficiency of it. Peace.

EDIT: Also another team means a level of heirarchy, if a person is not happy with the result, he can always connect to community team and then community team takes the matter in their hands in SCC so that distributes the workload and brings more robustness in the system.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

kami_ryu wrote:
zoom wrote:
Show hidden quotes
True. Let's go with "fostered" "harbored" or "sheltered".

you act like we're trying bring up cheaters or something. the idea behind not discussing cheating accusations on the forums isn't based on esoc wanting cheaters to be protected, fostered or sheltered. you know this and so does everyone else. there are different reasons for not having cheating discussions on esoc, which can be discussed obviously. but saying that cheaters are protected is just disingenuous
"Act" is the key word here.
Croatia gryphoon94
Skirmisher
ESO: GRYPHOON

Post by gryphoon94 »

But I feel the root problem that generates the negative discussion is due to the hackers themselves. Legitimate players are tired of playing with hackers. This game is not fun if a player spawns 4vills or 600w randomly throughout the course of a competitive ladder game or tourney match. Right now, legitimate players know hacking is a thing in the community, and I cant tell you how much it sucks to reflect on a game and question whether you have been playing a hacker who spawned. I feel that one of the major benefits of this community is that it acts are a forum where legitimate players can congregate and generate discussion which improves people's experience on aoe.

Second, I feel the approach that eso-c admins take in regard to hacking evidence actually causes adverse effects, and further fuels hate towards hackers. What I mean by this is now that @SoldieR 's post was removed, people do not know who specifically he caught, and now there is a sense of feeling uncomfortable to ladder knowing that there is a hacker on QS. In cases such as @SoldieR 's , he provided evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, which is why I ultimately feel that it should remain on the site.

By removing legitimate evidence on eso-c, what is an adverse effect?Where does cheating accusation/discussion go when it cant be done on eso-c? It gets pushed into different forums, such as discord/skype or eso lobbies where witch hunting can really occur, and conclusions can be made with no sound evidence. What my recommendation is for eso-c is to allow these types of discussion but with sound and real evidence only. All meritless accusations should be immediately removed based off admin discretion. Nobody should ever be blamed for hacking without proper evidence such as recordings/post game graphs.

So overall, @XeeleeFlower @kami_ryu I see the arguments that you're making, but i feel that it actually fuels the problem further. By attempting to sweep it under the rug, the process generates suspicion and a sense of feeling that hackers are actively on QS/on eso in general. Now when I QS I cant quit immediately against the guy who cheated @SoldieR . Instead I must play a full game with them, then after I might recognize cheats were used, or I will continue to play against them being completely oblivious to the hacks they used in the game. And to be honest, this completely kills the motivation for a player to play the game. What's the point of eso-c if there are no legitimate players? Why should I play this game against a person who spawns 600W at will? I feel that that this is the type of question legitimate players are asking themselves.
"I only used Moesbar for 2 years, that's not even long" - SirMusket
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

@Ashvin You make really good points, but I'm still not completely sure. Some suggested that they be volunteers, and others seem to imply that it would be its own 'team', like the media/map/etc teams. I just really don't like the idea of volunteers handling something so sensitive. What are your thoughts on how it would be structured? How would team members/volunteers be chosen?
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

How do you think this team will be different from staff? Do you know how staff members are chosen?
Howdah

Post by Amsel_ »

@Ashvin Other users seemed to be suggesting that the people reviewing reports be a group separate from the regular staff. That's the only thing I had a problem with.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

@Amsel_ But tell me how do you think the staff is different from other people? This is a community. The staff members were also regular users once before they were chosen to be staff based on their skills/qualities. So we are making a new team. What's the problem?
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Ashvin wrote:@Amsel_ But tell me how do you think the staff is different from other people? This is a community. The staff members were also regular users once before they were chosen to be staff based on their skills/qualities. So we are making a new team. What's the problem?

Putting this burden on staff aswell would be too much to ask considering how much they do already, so a seperate hacker investigation team should be made imo.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

follow up please? @edeholland
Great Britain hleung
Retired Contributor
ESO: hleung / cll (DE)

Post by hleung »

Alright, I guess the community team should clarify the current situation.

There has been a thorough discussion within the community team on how to handle cheating accusations. Ideally we want to avoid having multiple threads and discussions about potential cheating behaviours from some individuals all over the place. Factors, including but not limited to potential 'witch-hunts', the difficulty for community team to moderate, and how detrimental it could be to the entire community, are difficult to estimate and these are valid concerns for the community team to consider before we can put forward a solution to the problem.

It is not like we do not care about the situation with cheating behaviours; in fact, we care more about it than most community members (the silent majority) do. Surely we can always bring a solution to the table, but it might not be an effective one, or that there is potential for detrimental effects. The original policy of "no cheating accusations" on the forum has been going on for quite a while and proven to be effective to pull the community together. We showed our first step towards a policy change when we allowed sircallen's thread to go up and remain unlocked, but it was a rather exceptional case at that point and we have been trying to redefine our policy since then.

As of now, I can mention two things. When and if we make a policy change to cheating accusations, there will be a SCC-type forum set up specifically so that players can report to and communicate with staff in private; as for the 'jury', it will be consist of a number of current ESOC staff and a renowned member of the community chosen by lot for a certain period (i.e. a rota system), and all decisions must be made unanimously within the jury.

When and if we are ready for a policy change, we shall make an announcement about it.

I hope I have made things a bit clearer to everyone. Thanks.

hleung
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

edeholland wrote:Do you not realise we don't do witch hunts on this forum? You have been on esoc long enough to know the rules now...

They cheaters not witches
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

evilcheadar wrote:
edeholland wrote:Do you not realise we don't do witch hunts on this forum? You have been on esoc long enough to know the rules now...

Thank you captain obvious
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

evilcheadar wrote:

Don't be a pain
The function of man is to live, not to exist.