What's you biggest mis-macro?

Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: What's you biggest mis-macro?

Post by Mitoe »

As Ryan says, market trading is almost always bad unless there's an immediate need. Buying food is awful, selling wood is awful, and buying wood or selling food--while not mathematically terrible--is not ideal as it depletes your coin mines (the most finite resource--usually) and hunts, unless you're playing a civ that's not as reliant on the mines, such as Aztec.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

But when there is an immediate need, its goddamn bliss. And theres almost always an immediate need.

I sometimes see people age with 1800f, 1000c to fortress in streams, while they couldve sold like 200-300f and aged 20-30 sec earlier.

Also when i used to play iro, i would very often just trade in market for gold i needed for ups. Like 1st wood up is 150c, thats 200f. Much easier on macro and hardly economically worse. Even though theres not some immediate need.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah I agree, market trades are underrated. Literally the only reason why you sometimes shouldn't trade is because it depletes your resources. I'm not talking about buying food or selling wood ofc, since these are trash (basically throwing 50g down the drain whenever buying food or selling food) and should be used only in very specific situations, like an important mm pop. But selling food and buying wood are usually worth it. When selling food with steel traps you're literally earning some free resources, and the same applies to buying wood with placer mines and no wood up, to a lesser extent. Plus if you do it early enough, you will get the good trades while your opponent will have shitty market rates. So yeah it shouldn't be used too much since it depleted resources and the trades get less and less interesting, but still can be used reasonably.

And in some specific cases you don't even care about depleting your resources. It can even be the opposite, for example as germany it's quite fine to sell food on most maps, since you usually run out of gold first. If you're iro staying colonial, and stacking useless gold, buying wood is definitely good. Same for dutch with banks and 15% boost for vils on gold. And there's probably other examples
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

You pay an extra prize for the units but sometimes those units are totally worth it. Just imagine that crucial 5 hussar pop that will snowball the entire fight for you, or aging up a tiny bit faster to barely hold off a rush, or buying wood for a house so that you wont be housed for a minute.

In theory market trading is bad. In practise its even worse when you see people lose with 4k food in the bank, where just selling that for 2k coin and then producing units with it would've won the game.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

ive seen people buy food when their macro is like 100f to 1.8k gold, even when mines are out, trading that away seems flatout awful as thats all the gold u have to either produce units, or get to age 4 for factories for gold income
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

If you feel like you can afford to remacro and wait for your stock to drain, it's definitely better than buying food or selling wood
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Like having a brand new pack of Rizla paper but no ingredients.
[Sith] - Baphomet
India guyshir
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: guyshir

Post by guyshir »

Biggest mis-macro (treaty):
Food: 2k
Wood: 25k (thanks to factories)
Coin 300
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

No treaty screenshot yet? I am seriously disappointed.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

I usually mis-macro food with brits in age 2. It`s usually fixed by a double age up. Something around 3k food most probably, ez sell food for coin.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Hazza54321 wrote:ive seen people buy food when their macro is like 100f to 1.8k gold, even when mines are out, trading that away seems flatout awful as thats all the gold u have to either produce units, or get to age 4 for factories for gold income

Or what if you buy 500 food with that gold, complete a crucial batch of units to then win the deciding battle for the last gold mine? Your opponent then has to switch to xbows or plantations and loses the very close game in the upcoming minutes because he couldn't affort to do what switch?

It all depends. I recall a game as Russia vs Ports that went very lategame, and in fortress with upgrade cards like refrigeration available I ended up shipping 13 strelets instead which allowed me to actually push and take control of the game. It felt right. Sometimes playing for the short term if very much viable in 1v1 and that doesn't mean you have to be as efficient as possible.

The way I see it is that units can sometimes gain more value that economy/upgrades and then getting units later. Aging up slightly faster by correcting a mismacro can mean you're stuck in the TC for a shorter amount of time and thus actually be more efficient than not trading. Similairly, trading resources to complete an important batch can end up swinging a fight in your favor and thus gaining more value than that the trade costs, and trading for food in a scrappy situation can sometimes give you a crucial temposwing that allows you to gain much more value than the cost of it was.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

What about buying food and selling wood is just terrible and you should never even come to the point where you need to do that
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

This from miggos stream is in the running for worst mis macro

No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Kaiserklein wrote:What about buying food and selling wood is just terrible and you should never even come to the point where you need to do that

sirmusket does that way too often in his streams
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

tedere12 wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:What about buying food and selling wood is just terrible and you should never even come to the point where you need to do that

sirmusket does that way too often in his streams

Yes but spawning wood crates does tend to leave you with excess wood.
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Post by Kazamkikaz »

alot times when i want buy wood, sometimes click to buy food and vice-versa for example 50 f 0 w 100c i want wood but i buy food and results : no wood, no coin just because fast clicks mistakes
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

100k gold zero food once youve furtraded