Risk Europe Revolutionary Population Limit Mechanism

Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Risk Europe Revolutionary Population Limit Mechanism

Post by Cocaine »

Hi everyone,

I have returned to you after a long absence.. Last time you heard from me I wanted to create a Risk Europe tournament.. Now the biggest concern all of you had was population limit/army size/lag/camping/and not microing battles and just sending in armies mindlessly into death because there is no benefit to micro (lose less units than you kill). Now I can assure you the map I made is virtually lag free (no trees, buildings, nonsense, just trade posts and units) BUT.. One big problem remained until tonight. The problem that is, camping, creating huge armies and sitting doing nothing, stale mate, lagging up the game.

A question arose in my mind.. How do I eliminate camping, encourage fighting, and limit population and army size WHILE making the game equally fun if not MORE fun. Yes my fans, my family, my loved ones... I have came up with a brilliant solution I just implemented in the scenario editor.

Imagine a risk map where you have a set population limit of let say 100 to start. That is a horse will be 2-3 pop, a cannon 4 pop.. a infantry 1 pop so on so on sure.. The trade posts you build will generate armies per set time frame UNTIL you reach 100 population. What happens after that? Well that is the brilliance in this idea. In order to increase your population size you have to kill enemy units. YES! By killing 1 enemy unit your population increases by 1.. indicated by a gold resource counter for easy viewing. PERFECT! Now you will not win the game or even gather an army unless you fight! Fight to gain more population space, campers will not go far since they wont be able to mass.. and people who fight and die, will be able to mass huge armies to continue their conquest. Only those who fight will be rewarded. ALSO keep in mind with this mechanic, some players might actually try to micro in a risk game to gain more kills and lose less units.. Can you believe it?:D

Now you must think.. What if player 1 fought for an hour and killed 2000 units, YES their population will now be able to reach 2000 BUT that is where I need your advice. Should I put a higher cap on the max population a player should be able to reach? In my opinion 2000 would be the absolute max. To have a few armies in different places on the map for defense WITHOUT massing too many units that it becomes useless in a real attack/defense scanerio.. OR should I just let the upper limit remain open to keep encouraging more fighting and less camping? :D

(FYI in order to implement this modification I had to download a fan made scenario editor tool pack and install it directly into my files folder to be able to use it in the scanerio editor because the original scanerio editor doesn't allow for this mechanic..)
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Re: Risk Europe Revolutionary Population Limit Mechanism

Post by HUMMAN »

Cool idea, in order to convert exponantial growth to more lineer, you can increase the amount of units should be killed by some paremeter. Like until 200 pop killing one unit grants 1 pop, until 300 killling 2 units grants one pop, until 400 killing 4 units grants one pop etc.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Re: Risk Europe Revolutionary Population Limit Mechanism

Post by evilcheadar »

You on cocaine again?
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums