Why 3v3 Deccan?

European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Why 3v3 Deccan?

Post by matty1248 »

The question comes up quite commonly and in various forms (often derogatory) as to why play Deccan 3v3, the answer is not so simple. To answer for myself I guess i would first break the question down into a number of smaller questions:
Why aoe3?
Why 3v3?
Why Deccan?

All that's important in answering the first question with relevance to the fundamental question is, there is no opportunity to play AOE3 in a professional capacity therefore, it should really only be played for enjoyment and relaxation purposes. Being honest, often i also find myself playing the game to while away a few hours on occasion, or to distract my mind from some thing i'd rather not think about.

To answer the second question is more complex. Firstly, why not 1v1? There are many 1v1 players I respect, and often i will watch the 1v1 streams in admiration of the strategy, skill and ability to handle pressure in chaotic situations. And i understand that often a player seeks the clarity of being able to analyse a simpler set of dynamics and not being dependant on a random team mate to ensure they don't suffer a loss.
Primarily, however, i see 1v1 as a game of elitism, proving ones self to be superior to their opponant/proving their opponent to be inferior to them. I am not a fan of elitism, or heirarchy, or idolotry. I find myself incapable of wanting to prove myself better than another or them of being worse than me and, life doesn't tend to work like that in the general sense either. It was put to me in the Khorixt stream chat the other day, 'go play him' followed by 'I believe in you', self belief does not require a person to gauge themselves against another, only to know their own capabilities.
So why not 2v2? 2v2 in set teams can be great, where you know the strengths of your ally and have experience playing and communicating with them, however, in random teams it is prone to being dominated by the individual and the balance of games can often be very one sided unless the players are within quite a limited PR range, which restricts you to playing with a much reduced pool of players.
3v3 i find to be optimal. You are most likely to win very close to 50% on aggregate which keeps you humble. It requires you to respect your team mates and opponents to a larger extent as there can be no 'best player' as such and in the end what goes around comes around. It requires you to communicate to a reasonable degree and to work as a team. It also allows for a far larger set of dynamics and allows for you to always seek to improve your game. The good player will not seek to blame their team mate in the post game after a defeat, rather to simply analyse what they could have done better (and there will always be many many things). It would be great, if extremely unlikely (and hard to accomplish), if the DE made an 'immaculate' bot. I expect a bot who was playing every aspect of the game to perfection could defeat the two best players at once, if not more. It also makes for a great post game chat, on occasion, with so many people to analyse the events of the game.

So... why Deccan? Personally, in games of this format or for instance FPS games, i've always sought out the best map and played it to death. In the case of aoe3 there are just so many dynamics, the APM, the card choices, the team mates, the strategy, and so on, I prefer to limit the dynamics to some degree. I've often made the comparison to chess, a popular game since a long time, where there is a much more limited range of 'units', and the 'map' is much simplified, it's a game which has occupied the minds of far greater strategists than any seen in AOE. In specific, i like the economic aspect of the game and, on deccan the economic aspect is accentuated by greater starting resources and the ability to control the perimeter of your town more easily allowing you to drive home an economic advantage more easily. It is also a map where the aspect of skill in the game is diminished as compared with many maps, also as a result of being able to control your perimeter more easily as well as being able to outscale your enemy through superior macro allowing you the luxury of not having to micro so carefully in fights if you can make an army which dwarfs theirs.

And so i play Deccan, sometimes well, sometimes badly, sometimes being able to give a strong command and good leadership, sometimes allowing others to lead, sometimes playing fairly independanty, sometimes wide awake, sometimes half asleep, sometimes playing rusty, sometimes getting lucky. I do find the team games to be full of more amicable, thoughtful, dignified and respectful types, and I invite anyone who can at the least aim for these characteristics to come and play. If you think me to be an angry type or dissmissive, through spats i have had here or in twitch, you will certainly not find this to be the case in my lobby's, where I promote respect, dignity and enjoyment of the game, which I think has in no small part popularised the format which I enjoy.

I hope this answers the question to some extent and people can just allow games to be games and for people to seek enjoyment where they see fit.
Russia Acolyte
Dragoon

Re: Why 3v3 Deccan?

Post by Acolyte »

:wood:
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Because poeple are noobs and they also love to be Sioux Boxed by me on every game :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Do you really think the world revolves around you? The only thing you’re relevant to is pr19s you do your lame shit to.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Great post, matty1248.

Your points are logically formulated and appeal to my high IQ intellect. There's a lot to say here, a lot to chew and swallow and ruminate on, a lot of truth most of the community will reject (having smaller brains and being susceptible to cognitive dissonance and having just one stomach compartment).

Well, it's difficult being an intellectual on this website. An effort post like this is like a fortuitous cheeto-find when cleaning the mechanical keyboard -- simply divine. I do believe good sir we ought to engage in digital relations.

Yes I added you because you're an intelligent gamer, 'tis and awesome thing to see! 2. I'm Callen. 3. Don't be intimidated, but I'm not like a stereotypical Deccanite. If anything, I'll be the one walling =D
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Why not 4v4
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I get the deccan decision actually. It's got one of the most consistent spawns, even in 3v3. I think Deccan without high crates would actually be an excellent map.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Deccan is chill as fuck. Free TP and early market, never having to fight the enemy team for resources, and no raids to worry about.
Pay more attention to detail.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Gendarme wrote:Deccan is chill as fuck. Free TP and early market, never having to fight the enemy team for resources, and no raids to worry about.

Map control still required
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

Go Portuguese and spam 2 carded, bastion walls on Deccan. 5 layers is a start but id go more for 10
c0ns!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

3 Vs 3 RE Master Sergeant lobbies as hosted by MattyB himself is the pinnacle of both balance and skill.

Edit: [sees OP]
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

@Hazza54321, 4v4 has a few issue's i would say. Mostly, the lagg gets too heavy, even for me, and the chances of a drop get to be too high. Cause of these issue's i've never really played enough to work out whether i like it or not, but every time i did it just turned into pure chaos, pretty unmanageable and uncoordinated.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I played a 3v3 Deccan today with matty1248. He flamed me for being a 2nd lt Japan player making yumis but then I won the game and he gave me a smiley face. 3v3 Deccan games are little tragedies and comedies, with conflict and resolution and irony. It's a genuine human experience, more wrapped in the web of personal interaction than 1v1 and 2v2.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

deleted_user wrote:I played a 3v3 Deccan today with matty1248. He flamed me for being a 2nd lt Japan player making yumis but then I won the game and he gave me a smiley face. 3v3 Deccan games are little tragedies and comedies, with conflict and resolution and irony. It's a genuine human experience, more wrapped in the web of personal interaction than 1v1 and 2v2.

Oh you filthy little Japan laming noob!
:smile:
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

rsy wrote:
deleted_user wrote:I played a 3v3 Deccan today with matty1248. He flamed me for being a 2nd lt Japan player making yumis but then I won the game and he gave me a smiley face. 3v3 Deccan games are little tragedies and comedies, with conflict and resolution and irony. It's a genuine human experience, more wrapped in the web of personal interaction than 1v1 and 2v2.

Oh you filthy little Japan laming noob!
:smile:

much agreed. the deccan 3v3 is a microcosm of life and it's many questions/hidden meanings
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

matty1248 wrote:@Hazza54321, 4v4 has a few issue's i would say. Mostly, the lagg gets too heavy, even for me, and the chances of a drop get to be too high. Cause of these issue's i've never really played enough to work out whether i like it or not, but every time i did it just turned into pure chaos, pretty unmanageable and uncoordinated.

its also really hard to coordinate any sort of strategy with 4 players of varying levels(which it always is in 4v4 and usually a broad range) one team is usually OP and it's basically the team that can get every player to participate in a rush that wins.Sometimes they go the other way and get played out as TR games which kind of sucks because at least a few players probably didn't pick TR desk

in fact another problem is often its a group of 4 friends who are either smurfs or regs who know OP team strats like Indian team cards aka The_filosopher and friends. lol
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

Just to be clear, i didn't flame anyone today on Deccan, my friend Selena sometimes gets frustrated and i encourage her to work on it (she is quite young), i don't know if that's where the confusion came from. I do remember a stream of standard 1v1 garbage coming from a certain unknown smurf at the end of the game. If i remember right, i was quite quick to point out that the person was a smurf, i wasn't under any illusion that they were second luitenant. You can perhaps smear me to people who neither know me or you, and take enjoyment in that if it bears value to you.

Watching the way you treated khorix the other day was however entirely disgusting and far short of someone who claims to have any genuine interest in philosophy, or has any respect for their fellow players. Khorix is about as nice a guy as you will find and the type of streamer we should encourage for his explicit values of enjoying the game and respecting the opponent, i refuse to believe he gave you any reason to behave this way.

Glad you enjoyed the game, but you seem to have missed the point, as is often the case @deleted_user4
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

PS. didn't realise you were just a cheap liar :D
United States of America charlemango
Musketeer
ESO: 2ndLastKnight

Post by charlemango »

jgals wrote:
matty1248 wrote:@Hazza54321, 4v4 has a few issue's i would say. Mostly, the lagg gets too heavy, even for me, and the chances of a drop get to be too high. Cause of these issue's i've never really played enough to work out whether i like it or not, but every time i did it just turned into pure chaos, pretty unmanageable and uncoordinated.

its also really hard to coordinate any sort of strategy with 4 players of varying levels(which it always is in 4v4 and usually a broad range) one team is usually OP and it's basically the team that can get every player to participate in a rush that wins.Sometimes they go the other way and get played out as TR games which kind of sucks because at least a few players probably didn't pick TR desk

in fact another problem is often its a group of 4 friends who are either smurfs or regs who know OP team strats like Indian team cards aka The_filosopher and friends. lol

I see you have been victim to a team flail elephant rush :hehe:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Dang, matty, I thought we had an understanding :'(
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

Thought i did, pretty sure i do now, if there's no actual integrity there then i'm done.
Croatia gryphoon94
Skirmisher
ESO: GRYPHOON

Post by gryphoon94 »

You're awesome Matty!
"I only used Moesbar for 2 years, that's not even long" - SirMusket
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

@matty1248 I played with you more than once, earlier you used to kick for I was a 2lt but when I became 1lt you started to let me play with you. You're a nice guy!
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

Thanks guys, @gryphoon94 @Ashvin, i always try my best :). Gryphoon i look forward to you return!!
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Pahahaha
Pay more attention to detail.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

hey if you need more peoples to play 3v3 deccan, I suggest @LONEWOLF123 . Quite a badass in 3v3s I would say.