Why was the age of empires series abandoned?

United States of America cedarfarms
Dragoon
ESO: Cedar_farms_

Post by cedarfarms »

I dont get why everyone is fighting and arguing, i mean we all want the same thing here. So instead why not try if together with everyone in the community we can somehow do something maybe get someones attention that there is still thousands and thousands who love this game, and with a real sequel with some advertisement, 15 years of pass age of empires players will come back to purchase the new game. I always thought lack of advertising was a big reason this game didnt reach its full potential, this game is really like nothing else i have ever played just in the way that you can sit and think about it for hours without even playing. But in reality, no matter what our community of 2000 does, whatever microsoft has planned is what is going to happen, and sitting here typing this 8 years after TAD came out, i sadly think its going to be nothing but turn off the servers sometime in the future.

But IMO we should still try, we organized a 256 person tourney, we could def organize some kind of event or something right?
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

When aoe3 came out there was a LOT of complaining about computer requirements to run. The graphics on max were absolutely insane but veerrrry few could run it.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Yeah, I remember they wanted to revolutionize water graphics back then. The problem is, nobody with average computers would play water online because the game lagged a lot (talking about average people)

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Water maps still lagg quite a bit honestly.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

for me as well, but hell, my notebook is so bad that it lags on land maps sometimes :v

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Try hiding the particles, that helps the lagg a little bit.
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

incog wrote:people who work for the government are the last people in the world who know how to actually run anything

free money stolen from the people, nothing useful is done with it. look at the state the world is in LOL

companies need to work well to survive. governments can just parasite the populations they terrorize

criticizing the way microsoft does things about a video game is laughable at best
I''d say it''s pretty damn good, tauntamont to a historic high point. Claiming anything else is pretty uncalled for, not to say historically incorrect.

Why does everyone on this forum have so much sand in their vayay.
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

The age of empires series wasn't abandoned. They made AoE:O. It flopped. That was it.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

oxaloacetate wrote:
incog wrote:people who work for the government are the last people in the world who know how to actually run anything

free money stolen from the people, nothing useful is done with it. look at the state the world is in LOL

companies need to work well to survive. governments can just parasite the populations they terrorize

criticizing the way microsoft does things about a video game is laughable at best
Id say its pretty damn good, tauntamont to a historic high point. Claiming anything else is pretty uncalled for, not to say historically incorrect.

this bait is so boring im a bored fish look at this

the world is in a crap state
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

In some ways ?? certainly! In others, it is in historic high-points...
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

incog wrote:
oxaloacetate wrote:Id say its pretty damn good, tauntamont to a historic high point. Claiming anything else is pretty uncalled for, not to say historically incorrect.

this bait is so boring im a bored fish look at this

the world is in a crap state
The world only seems worse because of better media coverage. I think less and less people die from murders/wars every year, while people around the world have a better life expectancy and become richer and richer. This economical crisis we are talking about is bad in some countries, but I know that many countries experience a crisis if the economical growth isnt that big. Its crisis in china when the economy only grows with 7% every year lol.
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Post by Einfein »

Blizzard did offer to buy the AoE series many years back. At the time they wanted additional IP to develop, but MS decided not to. I'm not a MS fan at all (quite the opposite), but I suspect they have a plan. The AoE franchise is well known in the RTS world even to people who never played it. I would imagine they are waiting to develop the series further when it financially makes sense for them (whenever the heck that may be).

Someone mentioned earlier that they thought it was pretty sad that so many people bought the Forgotten expansion for AoE2. I bought it simply in the hopes that with enough cash flowing in MS might decide to green light a new Age game sooner rather then later. MS will show up wherever there is easy money to be had.

Also (and most here will probably disagree), but AoE3 did not meet the high expectations of being the sequel to AoK. It's a great game, but I still remember vanilla when very large portions of the community were upset about the card system and felt it wasn't a true AoE game. Sounds kind of like AoEO's reception. It did sell well, but many community members went back to AoK or AoM. The community was never huge (compared to say AoK or Brood Wars) and I suspect this had a lot to due with the AoE series being semi abandoned.

A few years back I was able to speak to a few former ES employees and at least from an internal stand point the closure of ES was very sudden and unexpected to them. I thought Robot entertainment might be looking to develop a new Age game, but based on their own press releases and statements they are entirely focused on their own newer IP.

Bottom line there is no definitive answer to the OP's question, just lots of guesses and theories (like mine).
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Post by Good ol Ivan »

The RTS age is dead, it's all about MOBAs now.
I wouldn't expect an AoE4 any time soon.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

ivan wrote:The RTS age is dead, it''s all about MOBAs now.
I wouldn''t expect an AoE4 any time soon.
Unfortunately that''s probably true. But there hasnt been any big RTS title lately, only sc2.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

ivan wrote:The RTS age is dead, it''s all about MOBAs now.
I wouldn''t expect an AoE4 any time soon.
you never know :D
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish