Kynesie's Approach

No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Kynesie's Approach

Post by abbadan »

I''m going to start this with the embarrassing admission that most of you are MUCH better than I am at the game. Even so, I really love AoE3, and have been playing since the start of AoE. I have ADD and lose focus, I micro like crap, I can''t memorize troop stats and such, but I love playing and watching good players. Maybe you feel that way about tennis or something, idk...

Anyway, it''s bothered me that every time I hear commentary on Kynesie''s games there is a lot of "yada-yada" about the water, the walls, the turtling, etc. From my point of view - and I play a LOT of sports and competition - beat the man or just shut up.
I played competitive chess and I can tell you that a strong defender who wins end games is just as respected as any devil-may-care attacker. The analogy is that Kynesie offers his queen to sucker you into a mate' by the time you''ve broken down those walls to lay waste to his TCs (Portuguese) or whatever, he''s gotten to Imperial and you''re cooked, left to wonder "WTF?!!"
I even came up with a name for his strat: YODO: you only die once. All the YOLOers out there can kiss his behind (after you get through the walls he builds around them) if you can''t take him down.
Personally I''d like to see a match between him and that guy who is awesome as Russia (I''m really bad w names, sorry), just to see if Kynesie could keep up with a super hot rush...

Your thoughts are always welcome...
AbbaDan
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Kynesie's Approach

Post by Goodspeed »

That font size caught me off guard but yeah, walls are pretty broken

Kynesie is certainly good at the style though, there's no denying that.
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Kynesie's Approach

Post by Einfein »

I'm just happy that Kynesie is showing a new and viable way to play the game. If more people begin playing this way (I'm sure some will) new strategies may be created that defeat this play style etc. It just adds another element to the game which means more possibilities and possibly an evolving meta. That said, I can sympathize with players who feel frustrated by mass walls or simply prefer faster games.

@GS
Yes, that font size surprised me a bit as well...
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Kynesie's Approach

Post by Good ol Ivan »

Fuck walls
No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Kynesie's Approach

Post by abbadan »

Very sorry about changing the font size. Meant nothing by it...
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Kynesie's Approach

Post by SoldieR »

I think people dislike kynesie games because he is clearly not as good on land as other top players, but on water or turtling land jap, he uses things like fish and monitors, which can be considered op, and that's how he wins games.

Maybe that's a skill, but not in the traditional sense. I kinda like it tho. It makes the game more than just "balance res to spam more units at x:xx time to win"
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Kynesie's Approach

Post by momuuu »

Well, part of kynesies succes was indeed laming the water, and water is nothing short of stupid in my eyes.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Kynesie's Approach

Post by gibson »

I feel like especially on land maps his play style is just inferior. I mean all you have to do is control the map and eco, force him to move from behind his walls and then just win.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Kynesie's Approach

Post by _H2O »

I like kynesie. I think we need people with different styles. My frustration is from the other high level players who don't know how to play against the style. I want to see games where kynesie wins by playing his style so well that he out plays his opponent more so than the community just not getting how to play vs him. I think we are getting there though. Acergame showed that people are learning more.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Kynesie's Approach

Post by momuuu »

Is there any chance though that kynesie would have gotten as far as he did in the tournement if we had had more land maps?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Kynesie's Approach

Post by deleted_user0 »

Acer was his first real challenge and he lost, while 4 out of 7 maps had viable water
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Kynesie's Approach

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Kynesie has no problem vs a land rush. To kill walls, you have to timing.
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Kynesie's Approach

Post by adderbrain5 »

einfein wrote:Im just happy that Kynesie is showing a new and viable way to play the game. If more people begin playing this way (Im sure some will) new strategies may be created that defeat this play style etc. It just adds another element to the game which means more possibilities and possibly an evolving meta. That said, I can sympathize with players who feel frustrated by mass walls or simply prefer faster games.

@GS
Yes, that font size surprised me a bit as well...

h2o wrote:I like kynesie. I think we need people with different styles. My frustration is from the other high level players who dont know how to play against the style. I want to see games where kynesie wins by playing his style so well that he out plays his opponent more so than the community just not getting how to play vs him. I think we are getting there though. Acergame showed that people are learning more.

such a refreshing opinion to come from the ESOC community. Amen brother !Aoe3 lives!!!
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Kynesie's Approach

Post by _venox_ »

What the Yada-Yada shows is the frustration of the people who are unhappy in a way, unhappy about the balance of warships against land units, unhappy with the cost and "abuse-ability" of walls etc... and they show their frustration that they can't beat it and that it takes a lot of time.

About Yodo: I wouldn't want to kiss his behind because Yolo also implies that you live just once and not twice or more than once. Living once means that you should value your one life you got and that you should do the things you want to do in your life. Yolo doesn't mean to do stupid and really dangerous stuff (aoe3 related: all ins for example against a strategy where an all in will never work against).

With "the person who is aswesome as Russia" you might have had Darwin_Giovanny in mind, was it him you meant?

It's funny that I feel the same way about chess that you feel about aoe3, but I'm not sure if I really am a good aoe3 playah where you're a professional chess playah.

To be a so called "noob" at the game is nothing bad, after all people who are considered to be "noobs" are the basis of this game and make up a large part of the community. GG Dan
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Kynesie's Approach

Post by bobabu »

I like to watch kynesie's games because they are interesting. But playing against him is a different story. I prefer short games but that's just me (I'm not a very patient person). You have to accept his play style and learn to live with it. Maybe some of you play dota. If feel like kynesie is a techies player who is forcing long games. But if you know how to counter it, you can win. It's still gonna be a long game.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Kynesie's Approach

Post by fightinfrenchman »

To be completely I honest I feel like half the reason that walls got nerfed in the EP is because many high level players did not want to adapt against the kynesie playstyle, they often have problems adjusting to different styles.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Yesh!
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

also, according to the famous wookl, "wall makes a player lazy. that's why he lost to aiz."
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

walls and frigates are indeed broken. think of RE games, on indochina, he just build 8 layers of wall (240000hp lol), and boom boom boom go age 4: is that really balanced?
yeah on EP 1500hp walls are less op, so no one blames kynesie for that.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Couprider wrote:walls and frigates are indeed broken. think of RE games, on indochina, he just build 8 layers of wall (240000hp lol), and boom boom boom go age 4: is that really balanced?
yeah on EP 1500hp walls are less op, so no one blames kynesie for that.

Yeah it's balanced, just age up yourself. If he's hiding behind walls you can do it without fear. There's nothing wrong with going into late game, the game has 5 ages for a reason.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

wood walls are far too strong. it was a good nerf. a few cannon balls should blow apart wood walls. They handles it in the right way.

Lets hope they did the same with the new TR patch iteration. Where walls will build 20% slower once upgraded... lets hope thats enough I feel like it needs a 50% minimum increase build time.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

howlingwolfpaw wrote:wood walls are far too strong. it was a good nerf. a few cannon balls should blow apart wood walls. They handles it in the right way.

Lets hope they did the same with the new TR patch iteration. Where walls will build 20% slower once upgraded... lets hope thats enough I feel like it needs a 50% minimum increase build time.

Wood walls are up now, they were fine before. It's a change just to make a specific style of play unusable.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

walls are still good, and with stone wall upgrade still get to regular stats so this style can still work. But for some reason walls are just too OP in this game and can be abused not like in other AOE games. where you had to macro for stone a limited resource and could not spam them the same way.

they are just palisade walls if you think about it why should it be harder to siege down a bunch of post rather than a building. It makes sense they are weaker
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

The wooden walls can be taken down fairly easily on RE, just make some flail elephents, grenadiers and such
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

for the cost and time to build they are Pretty OP. still good at lower HP and gives incentive to age up