Civ rules for next tournament?

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

How about we allow otto and iro, but at the beginning of each series we allow each player to chose 2 or 3 civs which the other player can't play for the whole series? We will see more civ variety. Most people will probably ban otto and iro, so we won't see much of those but we will see them a little bit if both players agree not to ban them. We will also see more of the lower civs since the 3rd civ banned will be something like china or germany.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Bosnia & Herzegovina medinos
Lancer
ESO: AlexBoye,Daddysmurf

Post by medinos »

Yeah it would be pretty interesting like every player can ban 1-2 civs 3 would be too many...
But we would allow all civs...
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

The only thing I don't like is having to see iro mirror, that is boring as shiiiiiiiit but otto mirror is more ok and iro vs otto is interesting
No Flag airgorden
Crossbow

Post by airgorden »

But instead of banning OP civs, would your opponent not just ban the civ or civs that you are best with, in order to gain the advantage rather than for the balancing aspect. Wouldn't that lead to a tourney of a lot of OP vs balanced civs.
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Post by PoniPoika »

airgorden wrote:But instead of banning OP civs, would your opponent not just ban the civ or civs that you are best with, in order to gain the advantage rather than for the balancing aspect. Wouldn''t that lead to a tourney of a lot of OP vs balanced civs.

But the opponent banning the civs you are best at is not a problem. The result would still be Otto and iro being banned most of the time, but would also favour whichever player has a more diverse civ pool. Whether two or three civ bans would be appropriate is a mater of opinion. This would also be a rather elegant solution to people complaining about civs like ger/japs/india etc. In addition it allows for more diversity and player power without creating balance issues.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

These rules are good.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I think it would be fun to see a tournament where each player has to preselect their civs per map. It could lead to some interesting matchups
mad cuz bad
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

It's an awful idea. It is extremely biased towards people who are good with a wide variety of civs, while those who can only play 3 or 4 civs (which is let's be honest most people) will be screwed.
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Post by PoniPoika »

gibson wrote:It''s an awful idea. It is extremely biased towards people who are good with a wide variety of civs, while those who can only play 3 or 4 civs (which is let''s be honest most people) will be screwed.

Which is a good thing lol? Diversity in skillset should be rewarded.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ponipoika wrote:
gibson wrote:Its an awful idea. It is extremely biased towards people who are good with a wide variety of civs, while those who can only play 3 or 4 civs (which is lets be honest most people) will be screwed.

Which is a good thing lol? Diversity in skillset should be rewarded.

So basically you want the tournament to be about who can play the widest variety of civs on average the best rather than who the actual best player is.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

gibson wrote:It''s an awful idea. It is extremely biased towards people who are good with a wide variety of civs, while those who can only play 3 or 4 civs (which is let''s be honest most people) will be screwed.
It doesn''t have to be 3 civs, it can also be only 2. Which would be the same as the previous tournaments.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Meh, some people only main a few civs and would really want to play those over laming otto or iro. I think the civ restrictions are fine atm.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

We don't want to see players who are good at only 3-4 civs to go far in the tournament, do we?
This sounds like a good idea, it can lead to some interesting MU. Imagine your opponent being very good with India and Japan, you can ban them + let's say Iro, so you have an advantage, but he still can play Otto! It's your choice.
About the map poll... Current system works fine IMO, but it would be nice to see some additions, like players' home maps. Let's say we have kynesie vs H2O. The first one picks Indonesia for water, the second one picks Cascade Range for India. The rest would be random :)
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ovi12 wrote:
gibson wrote:Its an awful idea. It is extremely biased towards people who are good with a wide variety of civs, while those who can only play 3 or 4 civs (which is lets be honest most people) will be screwed.
It doesnt have to be 3 civs, it can also be only 2. Which would be the same as the previous tournaments.

well I shouldnt say its an awful idea because its not an awful idea. Like I said I just think it favors players who are more diverse, rather than those who are more skillful.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Civ veto is not happening.
Image Image Image
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

Piroshiki reading these rules and facepalming.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

pecelot wrote:We don''t want to see players who are good at only 3-4 civs to go far in the tournament, do we?
This sounds like a good idea, it can lead to some interesting MU. Imagine your opponent being very good with India and Japan, you can ban them + let''s say Iro, so you have an advantage, but he still can play Otto! It''s your choice.
About the map poll... Current system works fine IMO, but it would be nice to see some additions, like players'' home maps. Let''s say we have kynesie vs H2O. The first one picks Indonesia for water, the second one picks Cascade Range for India. The rest would be random :)

Literally like all players are only good with four civs. Not like their bad with others, but if they played another similarly skilled player with one of their "bad" civs they would loose just about everytime. It makes the tournament about how big the players skill drop off is from their top civs rather than their actual skill.
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Post by PoniPoika »

Well that's not really an accurate representation of the ramifications. I mean, if we assume two civ vetos per person, it would take something pretty extreme for those two not to be iro and Otto. And that just means you are preventing people from just playing a couple of civs until late in the tourney (read: NaturePhoenix in the pk tourney, kynesie in the last one). I would argue that having some civ diversity is a key element in actually being good at the game. If we take the rules from the most recent tourney but add this tweak, players in even a bo9 would only have to be able to play 7 civs max, and that includes iro and otto.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

pecelot wrote:We don''t want to see players who are good at only 3-4 civs to go far in the tournament, do we?
This sounds like a good idea, it can lead to some interesting MU. Imagine your opponent being very good with India and Japan, you can ban them + let''s say Iro, so you have an advantage, but he still can play Otto! It''s your choice.
About the map poll... Current system works fine IMO, but it would be nice to see some additions, like players'' home maps. Let''s say we have kynesie vs H2O. The first one picks Indonesia for water, the second one picks Cascade Range for India. The rest would be random :)

Literally like all players are only good with four civs. Not like their bad with others, but if they played another similarly skilled player with one of their "bad" civs they would loose just about everytime. It makes the tournament about how big the players skill drop off is from their top civs rather than their actual skill.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Fuxkin double post
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

garja wrote:Civ veto is not happening.
Why not?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

That'd be dumb. Imagine me banning a colonel's 3 best civs out of the 4 civs he plays. Should I win that even though he is the better player because he doesn't play enough civs?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

bramboy wrote:That''d be dumb. Imagine me banning a colonel''s 3 best civs out of the 4 civs he plays. Should I win that even though he is the better player because he doesn''t play enough civs?
He can also ban your 3 best civs. And if youre banning his non iro otto civs and he bans your iro otto, he has the option to play a few games with to get the hang of iro and otto before the series and then easily win.

That''s why I think most ppl will just ban each other''s otto iro. Like people would even ban kynesie''s iro probably over a water civ.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ovi12 wrote:
bramboy wrote:Thatd be dumb. Imagine me banning a colonels 3 best civs out of the 4 civs he plays. Should I win that even though he is the better player because he doesnt play enough civs?
He can also ban your 3 best civs. And if youre banning his non iro otto civs and he bans your iro otto, he has the option to play a few games with to get the hang of iro and otto before the series and then easily win.

the point is what if bram can play 7 civs well and the other guy can only play four. Bram wins because he knows more civs, not because he was the better player.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

gibson wrote:
ovi12 wrote:He can also ban your 3 best civs. And if youre banning his non iro otto civs and he bans your iro otto, he has the option to play a few games with to get the hang of iro and otto before the series and then easily win.
the point is what if bram can play 7 civs well and the other guy can only play four. Bram wins because he knows more civs, not because he was the better player.
Still cant win vs colonels otto iro. And a colonel is still quite good even with his bad civs...