Civ rules for next tournament?

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ovi12 wrote:
gibson wrote:the point is what if bram can play 7 civs well and the other guy can only play four. Bram wins because he knows more civs, not because he was the better player.
Still cant win vs colonels otto iro. And a colonel is still quite good even with his bad civs...

well it probably wont make a difference between a colonel and a 1 lt but it might between a major and a colonel or a 1 lt and a major.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

gibson wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Still cant win vs colonels otto iro. And a colonel is still quite good even with his bad civs...
well it probably wont make a difference between a colonel and a 1 lt but it might between a major and a colonel or a 1 lt and a major.
But still otto iro lol
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

just allow otto iro dats all but i like the banning idea.... but then i wont play japs once in he tourney.....
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

We would kinda want to see high level games. I think itd be bad for the level of the games if you could be banning people's favorite civs.

Plus its still kinda for fun, and Id be sad if someone banned my dutch. Very sad.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

ovi12 wrote:
garja wrote:Civ veto is not happening.
Why not?
Because you dont host a 1k $ tourney just to have players play their offciv.
Image Image Image
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Post by PoniPoika »

gibson wrote:
ovi12 wrote:He can also ban your 3 best civs. And if youre banning his non iro otto civs and he bans your iro otto, he has the option to play a few games with to get the hang of iro and otto before the series and then easily win.
the point is what if bram can play 7 civs well and the other guy can only play four. Bram wins because he knows more civs, not because he was the better player.

Tbh if diversity in civ knowledge is not a relevant factor in player skill we might as well just ban everything except french mirrors.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

Nein !
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Allowing iro and otto is such a stupid idea
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

ponipoika wrote:
gibson wrote:the point is what if bram can play 7 civs well and the other guy can only play four. Bram wins because he knows more civs, not because he was the better player.

Tbh if diversity in civ knowledge is not a relevant factor in player skill we might as well just ban everything except french mirrors.
One may argue that being the best within a one civ environment means to be the best player overall. And actually it has been that way for years in the past.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ponipoika wrote:

civ knowledge is obviously a relevant factor since one player cant play the same civ every game. It is not the most important factor, however, which is why players shouldnt have to know 7 civs in order to compete in the tourney.
No Flag Hagi
Dragoon

Post by Hagi »

I'll be disappointed if I don't see H2O playing Japan and Sam not playing French. Aren't you?
Otto mirror should be allowed. Iro is just boring imo.
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Post by PoniPoika »

garja wrote:
ponipoika wrote:Tbh if diversity in civ knowledge is not a relevant factor in player skill we might as well just ban everything except french mirrors.
One may argue that being the best within a one civ environment means to be the best player overall. And actually it has been that way for years in the past.

I certainly think thats a reasonable argument to make, though I would not consider it as clear cut as that. Another factor is that for a tourney with a prize pool to be viable in the long-term, the tourney will need to be entertaining' ultimately these kinds of rules will centre around finding a balance between that and finding the most skilled player in the pool.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player

Post by KINGofOsmane »

adv wrote:I''ll be disappointed if I don''t see H2O playing Japan and Sam not playing French. Aren''t you?
Otto mirror should be allowed. Iro is just boring imo.
allow otto good idea bro
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player

Post by KINGofOsmane »

hazza54321 wrote:Allowing iro and otto is such a stupid idea
bann russ
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

I find civ-vetoing interesting, but I much prefer properly executed picking-order.
No Flag cohenski
Musketeer

Post by cohenski »

I think it should be Aztecs are the only civ allowed, Garja is banned from participating, and nobody is allowed to practice.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

zoom wrote:I find civ-vetoing interesting, but I much prefer properly executed picking-order.

you can do a hearthstone-type format. You bring 5 civs, and can play them as often as you want until you win with them.

Maybe you can mold that into this format in a succesful way. Not really sure how thatd work out in detail yet.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

That's nothing to do with picking-order. Picking-order by definition involves one player picking his civilization before the other, adapting accordingly.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

zoom wrote:That''s nothing to do with picking-order. Picking-order by definition involves one player picking his civilization before the other, adapting accordingly.

I guess so. I was mixing two formats, where in one you have to knock out certain decks of your opponent, so your opponent keeps playing those decks untill they lose with them.

Thatd fix the ordering, but is very problematic for variety.

Maybe a loser picks last system? Its really tough because counter civving is a real thing.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

Rules of spring / summer tournaments are fine. So keep them instead of trying to change them
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

jerom wrote:
zoom wrote:Thats nothing to do with picking-order. Picking-order by definition involves one player picking his civilization before the other, adapting accordingly.
I guess so. I was mixing two formats, where in one you have to knock out certain decks of your opponent, so your opponent keeps playing those decks untill they lose with them.

Thatd fix the ordering, but is very problematic for variety.

Maybe a loser picks last system? Its really tough because counter civving is a real thing.
So pick intelligently in a way that minimizes (likely even eliminates) the potential of counter-civing. It only adds to the beauty and ingenuity of the thing by benefitting civilization, map and player knowledge.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

marco1698 wrote:Rules of spring / summer tournaments are fine. So keep them instead of trying to change them
They aren''t fine. They are lacking in terms of civilization variety and underprivileging game knowledge. I also find the handling of civilization selection disputes idiotic, and the section on civilization availability throughout a series is clearly in dire need of consensus and clarification (I can say as much after inquiring about it with the various responsible parties).
No Flag airgorden
Crossbow

Post by airgorden »

Pre set civs for the maps beforehand seems like a solid idea. But don't you think players would get lucky with matchups? I do however like the idea of only being able to use a civ once per matchup. But it does screw people that love/play strong with 1-2 civs.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

we should ban india. it's as lame as iro otto.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

cohenski wrote:I think it should be Aztecs are the only civ allowed, Garja is banned from participating, and nobody is allowed to practice.

those would work good for me :D. Aztec is my least played civ. I''ve actually never played them actively I believe.