Veni's Farewell

Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Veni's Farewell

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

Hi guys,

Why this post you might wonder?
Well, a lot of people have been asking me why I am not as active anymore and what??s going on. I have played AOE for a long time and had lots of fun. Anyone who has played AOE for a long time, especially on a mid or high level, knows that it has a special place and is therefore hard to quit forever. I am busier with other things in my life and as they would say in the great Lethal Weapon movies: ??I am getting too old for this shit?.

For whoever is interested (it turned out to be a bit of a read :P): in this post I wanted to write up a recap from my perspective and thank some people.

When I first started AOE at GR (GameRanger) in 2009, I had good fun and [strike]got owned[/strike] learned a lot from juank_ and @mvp, but soon realized the skill level was limited. I [strike]found out about[/strike] finally clicked on ESO and things really got going! The same fun, but a much higher skill level. I had some experience already so getting Captain wasn??t that hard. To further improve my skills, I read strategy posts on forums, watched recorded games and critically evaluated my own gameplay. I became Lt. Colonel ?? 33! Now things got more serious, as I was then able to join more of the higher ranked teamgames. I somehow still remember this, able to play with people like @challe, @silento and @samwise12 who were all ranked Brigadier or higher. I have learnt a great deal from these people, and they were not the average players. Anyone can take an example of the kindness and modesty of these three. Furthermore, Challe??s British inspired me to take it on as my main for a long time. Silento??s Germany was always interesting, and Sam??s French was, well, Sam??s French. So, three all-round civs to work on.

As I enjoyed the team dynamics more (player talks, coordination &' strategy and bigger battles), that has been my focus for a long time. [strike]When I perhaps should have attended more classes[/strike] I was also getting into the ??jap games?, during EU mornings i.e. the other big community usually [strike]password protected[/strike] a bit closed to other new players. They were very polite and proved to be highly skilled as well with other new tactics. I enjoyed playing with players such as 4s4m, @shmras, Takuman, StSt, Kumruke and @boneng. Even though communication in English sometimes proved to be an issue, and my Japanese is well, eh, non-existent, it??s funny how universal certain things are in multiplayer games. And just remember, you can always signal and people know where to act.

Now, I enjoy traveling and encourage anyone to do so, as it will be a great and never-to-forget experience! So there I went and took a long AOE break. When I got back I had my first live-encounter with the ESO decaying system. Damn this guy who read in some psychology research that you should install certain triggers to stimulate people to play regularly. But well, turns out he was right, and so I started playing to get to my old rank again. And while you have to get up to speed with your mechanics and a bit of the current game-meta, a lot of your skill is still there [strike]except when you play too much LoL[/strike], similar to cycling.

Around this time a tournament was in full swing' always fun to watch. The problem though, there was no live-stream. So we had @zutazuta??s videos from the recs, which were a great inspiration to me (as well as 36drew??s [strike]N3O representin??[/strike] videos). I enjoyed watching the game with their commentary, also to learn from it. However, after the tournament was over, the videos also stopped coming. This triggered me to think about the whole concept. There were more people interested in watching AOE and with commentary as well. Since no one was really filling the gap and I just happen to have an OP MSI laptop (: ? Yes, you guessed it: my Twitch channel was born in mid-2013! I streamed my gameplay for an enjoyable evening watch and later on started to do commentary and some instructional videos as well, for others to improve. I even started to get some regular players tuning in and had a decent amount of views. This all grew as I also casted several tournaments and played regularly myself, spending a lot of time on streaming as well. As of now I see that I have over 700.000 views and 3000 followers for YouTube and Twitch combined, thanks everyone! Especially to my most loyal viewers through the years: @blackbob68, @mcjim, @neuron, @tvtotal, @cometk, @niedhalf, @blackstarop and @koenigerik1. You guys have often motivated me and kept me awake to stream AOE till 3,4,5am or even sunrise, [strike]damn [/strike]good job! It was nice to see that a lot of players followed and started their own streams, and currently we have usually one streamer every night!

Flash forward to around 2014, where I played a lot of teamgames with my old mate @fard (who unfortunately decided to go for LoL [strike]and decayed in overall skill[/strike]) from who I learned a lot, some older players who returned such as Silento and Japanese players. Throughout the years I also helped quite a lot of people with general tips and commentary so they could better understand and improve their gameplay. It was also then that I started to get some GR people to ESO. The 2 best known are my boys @ramex12 [strike]who still owns me at chess[/strike] and @blackstarop [strike]with his Spain annihilation streak vs me[/strike]. I am proud to have coached them both to improve in a short period of time. Their motivation, skills and potential allowed them to improve further to the high level players they are now. With ofc @blackstarop earning himself a spot in the top players of AOE of all time in both 1/1 and team. Both of you have been close and nice mates in AOE, in fun ways as well as challenging, which will be a nice lasting memory!

I have to admit that sometimes I might have been [strike]a bit[/strike] annoying (sorry @princeofkabul ')), but honestly it was with the best intentions. I still feel that that through my instructions and coordination in teamgames a lot of players have learned a lot and improved faster.
I have had many good and fun games gaining more experiene with a lot of players throughout the years such as @khorix, @darwingiovanny (yes his Russian is nice and I still remember his OP pause once on the other team ??sorry 1 minute, need to teach them how to micro?), @blackstarop, @ramex12, @spadel, @koenigerik1, @boneng, @princeofkabul, @somppukunkku, @elpistolero, @musketjr, @tibia, @masterchif, @tvtotal, @samwise12, @nagayumi, and @stanleywinston, treaty players Laroda, GGBN, @ajiv, @king_ownage2nd and many others who I might have missed out on here. And I finally claimed the rank of Major General and a top 10 team elo (:

At last, we arrive at early 2015, where @stanleywinston came to me. He and @mitoe came up with the idea of organizing a new AOE tournament, since it has been a while and to get a more active community together. As I obviously was inspired by the idea right away, I joined in as the main caster and overall ??helping-hand??. Spring Championship was on the way and the AOE community more active than before. This was the start of the ESO-Community as you see it now, where a lot of people were and still are, in their free time, working on the great things we can enjoy today. Special thanks to @stanleywinston, @mitoe, @h2o, @calmyourtits, @neuron, @incog, @edeholland, @wickedcossack, @interjection, myself and several more who have spent a lot of time to get ESO-Community to where it is now.

I quickly want to mention that, @musketjr, even though we had some disagreements in the past, you have always been a very good player in my eyes and respected you as such. Same for what I have seen from your casting lately. I really enjoyed how you go in-depth about strategic implications of decisions. I always liked this type of casting as it was what I aimed for as well. Keep an eye on this guy people, everyone can learn a lot from him!

An extra shout-out to @aizamk and @garja. @aizamk for his UI mod and features, which greatly improved both observing and casting. @garja for his work on all the new balanced maps for the community and tournaments' something new to explore yet competitive at the same time.

[a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/venividiviciw"]My YouTube Channel and all its videos[/a] will still be available. When scrolling through the list I came across a lot of nice gameplay, commentary, and tournament videos to re-watch during cold, dark days (:

My AOE journey has come to an end and it has been a hell of a trip. Thanks to everyone who I played with, talked with and laughed with. I wish you all the best in AOE and life!
Through experience I learned to never say ??never?, but for me it is now time to move on and focus on other things.

Take care!
VeniVidiVici
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
United States of America Cry4447
Crossbow
Donator 01
ESO: Cry4447

Veni's Farewell

Post by Cry4447 »

:(
No Flag kokiloki
Musketeer

Veni's Farewell

Post by kokiloki »

Thanks for everything! Especially the good commentaries!
No Flag kokiloki
Musketeer

Veni's Farewell

Post by kokiloki »

Maybe you would like to cast the finals? As a farewell?
No Flag hadeskerbecs
Crossbow

Veni's Farewell

Post by hadeskerbecs »

Thats a pitty to hear and a big loss for the community. I always enjoyed all your streamings and also the recs on youtube (learned alot from your video's). I watched all of the video's and I wanna thank you for the effort u have made for the community. Good luck in the future and hope to see u back in the AOE community.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Veni's Farewell

Post by WickedCossack »

Glhf with your journey amico, we all need to leave aoe at sometime tbh. Time to commentate for your own life.

My sincere best wishes, ciao ciao.
No Flag hadeskerbecs
Crossbow

Veni's Farewell

Post by hadeskerbecs »

kokiloki wrote:Maybe you would like to cast the finals? As a farewell?
This sounds like an awesome idea! :)
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Veni's Farewell

Post by Garja »

Aww, best wishes man. Real life comes first, they say.
Image Image Image
France iNcog
Ninja

Veni's Farewell

Post by iNcog »

cya later
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Veni's Farewell

Post by zoom »

I always said you's a bitch.

Bai!
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Veni's Farewell

Post by purplesquid »

kokiloki wrote:Maybe you would like to cast the finals? As a farewell?

I think that would be most fitting. . .
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Veni's Farewell

Post by Aizamk »

I was the first to be tagged in your post :')

(probably alphabetical order, but hey :P)

Gl in whatever you'll be doing. Sorry for never playing those 5/6 3v3s!
oranges.
Switzerland glorious_
Dragoon
ESO: Revan

Veni's Farewell

Post by glorious_ »

reality exists? :) joking good farewell..
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Veni's Farewell

Post by deleted_user0 »

bye
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Veni's Farewell

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Damn that sucks :-(

Stream the finals as a final 'goodbye' stream! :happytomato:

Goodbye, my fellow Dutchman.
No Flag anonymous123
Dragoon

Veni's Farewell

Post by anonymous123 »

Good luck.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Veni's Farewell

Post by Goodspeed »

Well shit. Thanks for your great commentaries and activity streaming! You were a big part of why this community is still as active as it is.

And see you in the winter tournament ')
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Veni's Farewell

Post by Cometk »

gbye buddy
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Veni's Farewell

Post by Marco1698 »

[quote author="@venividivici" source="/post/50904/thread" timestamp="1441829925"]Hi guys,

Why this post you might wonder?
Well, a lot of people have been asking me why I am not as active anymore and what??s going on. I have played AOE for a long time and had lots of fun. Anyone who has played AOE for a long time, especially on a mid or high level, knows that it has a special place and is therefore hard to quit forever. I am busier with other things in my life and as they would say in the great Lethal Weapon movies: ??I am getting too old for this shit?.

For whoever is interested (it turned out to be a bit of a read :P): in this post I wanted to write up a recap from my perspective and thank some people.

When I first started AOE at GR (GameRanger) in 2009, I had good fun and [strike]got owned[/strike] learned a lot from juank_ and @mvp, but soon realized the skill level was limited. I [strike]found out about[/strike] finally clicked on ESO and things really got going! The same fun, but a much higher skill level. I had some experience already so getting Captain wasn??t that hard. To further improve my skills, I read strategy posts on forums, watched recorded games and critically evaluated my own gameplay. I became Lt. Colonel ?? 33! Now things got more serious, as I was then able to join more of the higher ranked teamgames. I somehow still remember this, able to play with people like @challe, @silento and @samwise12 who were all ranked Brigadier or higher. I have learnt a great deal from these people, and they were not the average players. Anyone can take an example of the kindness and modesty of these three. Furthermore, Challe??s British inspired me to take it on as my main for a long time. Silento??s Germany was always interesting, and Sam??s French was, well, Sam??s French. So, three all-round civs to work on.

As I enjoyed the team dynamics more (player talks, coordination & strategy and bigger battles), that has been my focus for a long time. [strike]When I perhaps should have attended more classes[/strike] I was also getting into the ??jap games?, during EU mornings i.e. the other big community usually [strike]password protected[/strike] a bit closed to other new players. They were very polite and proved to be highly skilled as well with other new tactics. I enjoyed playing with players such as 4s4m, @shmras, Takuman, StSt, Kumruke and @boneng. Even though communication in English sometimes proved to be an issue, and my Japanese is well, eh, non-existent, it??s funny how universal certain things are in multiplayer games. And just remember, you can always signal and people know where to act.

Now, I enjoy traveling and encourage anyone to do so, as it will be a great and never-to-forget experience! So there I went and took a long AOE break. When I got back I had my first live-encounter with the ESO decaying system. Damn this guy who read in some psychology research that you should install certain triggers to stimulate people to play regularly. But well, turns out he was right, and so I started playing to get to my old rank again. And while you have to get up to speed with your mechanics and a bit of the current game-meta, a lot of your skill is still there [strike]except when you play too much LoL[/strike], similar to cycling.

Around this time a tournament was in full swing' always fun to watch. The problem though, there was no live-stream. So we had @zutazuta??s videos from the recs, which were a great inspiration to me (as well as 36drew??s [strike]N3O representin??[/strike] videos). I enjoyed watching the game with their commentary, also to learn from it. However, after the tournament was over, the videos also stopped coming. This triggered me to think about the whole concept. There were more people interested in watching AOE and with commentary as well. Since no one was really filling the gap and I just happen to have an OP MSI laptop (: ? Yes, you guessed it: my Twitch channel was born in mid-2013! I streamed my gameplay for an enjoyable evening watch and later on started to do commentary and some instructional videos as well, for others to improve. I even started to get some regular players tuning in and had a decent amount of views. This all grew as I also casted several tournaments and played regularly myself, spending a lot of time on streaming as well. As of now I see that I have over 700.000 views and 3000 followers for YouTube and Twitch combined, thanks everyone! Especially to my most loyal viewers through the years: @blackbob68, @mcjim, @neuron, @tvtotal, @cometk, @niedhalf, @blackstarop and @koenigerik1. You guys have often motivated me and kept me awake to stream AOE till 3,4,5am or even sunrise, [strike]damn [/strike]good job! It was nice to see that a lot of players followed and started their own streams, and currently we have usually one streamer every night!

Flash forward to around 2014, where I played a lot of teamgames with my old mate @fard (who unfortunately decided to go for LoL [strike]and decayed in overall skill[/strike]) from who I learned a lot, some older players who returned such as Silento and Japanese players. Throughout the years I also helped quite a lot of people with general tips and commentary so they could better understand and improve their gameplay. It was also then that I started to get some GR people to ESO. The 2 best known are my boys @ramex12 [strike]who still owns me at chess[/strike] and @blackstarop?[strike]with his Spain annihilation streak vs me[/strike]. I am proud to have coached them both to improve in a short period of time. Their motivation, skills and potential allowed them to improve further to the high level players they are now. With ofc @blackstarop earning himself a spot in the top players of AOE of all time in both 1/1 and team. Both of you have been close and nice mates in AOE, in fun ways as well as challenging, which will be a nice lasting memory!

I have to admit that sometimes I might have been [strike]a bit[/strike] annoying (sorry @princeofkabul ')), but honestly it was with the best intentions. I still feel that that through my instructions and coordination in teamgames a lot of players have learned a lot and improved faster.
I have had many good and fun games gaining more experiene with a lot of players throughout the years such as @khorix, @darwingiovanny (yes his Russian is nice and I still remember his OP pause once on the other team ??sorry 1 minute, need to teach them how to micro?), @blackstarop, @ramex12, @spadel, @koenigerik1, @boneng, @princeofkabul, @somppukunkku, @elpistolero, @musketjr, @tibia, @masterchif, @tvtotal, @samwise12, @nagayumi, and @stanleywinston, treaty players Laroda, GGBN, @ajiv, @king_ownage2nd and many others who I might have missed out on here. And I finally claimed the rank of Major General.

At last, we arrive at early 2015, where @stanleywinston came to me. He and @mitoe came up with the idea of organizing a new AOE tournament, since it has been a while and to get a more active community together. As I obviously was inspired by the idea right away, I joined in as the main caster and overall ??helping-hand??. Spring Championship was on the way and the AOE community more active than before. This was the start of the ESO-Community as you see it now, where a lot of people were and still are, in their free time, working on the great things we can enjoy today. Special thanks to @stanleywinston, @mitoe, @h2o, @calmyourtits, @neuron, @incog, @edeholland, @wickedcossack, @interjection, myself and several more who have spent a lot of time to get ESO-Community to where it is now.

I quickly want to mention that, @musketjr, even though we had some disagreements in the past, you have always been a very good player in my eyes and respected you as such. Same for what I have seen from your casting lately. I really enjoyed how you go in-depth about strategic implications of decisions. I always liked this type of casting as it was what I aimed for as well. Keep an eye on this guy people, everyone can learn a lot from him!

An extra shout-out to @aizamk and @garja. @aizamk for his UI mod and features, which greatly improved both observing and casting. @garja for his work on all the new balanced maps for the community and tournaments' something new to explore yet competitive at the same time.

[a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/venividiviciw"]My YouTube Channel and all its videos[/a] will still be available. When scrolling through the list I came across a lot of nice gameplay, commentary, and tournament videos to re-watch during cold, dark days (:

My AOE journey has come to an end and it has been a hell of a trip. Thanks to everyone who I played with, talked with and laughed with. I wish you all the best in AOE and life!
Through experience I learned to never say ??never?, but for me its time to move on and focus on other things.

Take care!
VeniVidiVici

[/quote]
even if I sucked vs bobabu I really was happy you casted my game! (you are my favourite caster) thanks really for what you did for this community. You are a fantastic player and a fantastic person in real life. Good luck have fun, pro player!
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Veni's Farewell

Post by lordraphael »

whos gonna fill the casting void ?
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Veni's Farewell

Post by bobabu »

Are you giving up on gaming completely or are you just giving up on aoe because you found a new game?
Anyways thank you,bb and good luck!

Ps : you still owe me a rematch
No Flag alejandrote
Musketeer

Veni's Farewell

Post by alejandrote »

Damn it! I'm really upset, I remember when I came back to this game of my adolescence and started watching your PK clan tournament streams to learn.

I hope we'll see you soon man, this game is not the same without people like you.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Veni's Farewell

Post by MCJim »

Veni! I wanna thank you for all your effort you put in this community. I liked your streams, as you've seen ') I almost watched every stream and had a great time (or night :p), lying on my couch, watching mobile. It was great to be mod on your channel and to chat to others and to talk about the game. I do have great memories, over years and years watching your streams. You remember that period existing of a bunch of evenings where you kept streaming and playing teamgames until it even became light outside? I watched to the end! (I must have been crazy...)

I'll miss you and the streams you did. Thanks for everything and I hope one day we'll see you back online!
Succes met het niet-AoE leven!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Veni's Farewell

Post by PoniPoika »

Thank you for everything you've done for the community veni! It's sad to see you go, and I think I can speak for many in saying you were a big part of my overall enjoyment of the game. I hope you decide to come back.
No Flag tvtotal
Crossbow

Veni's Farewell

Post by tvtotal »

VENI :(

Thanks for all man! Best guy in that fucking community! Those nights until 6.a.m.... 10 hours teamgames :D

cya and gl for all what u doing! we already miss u :(

no homo

EDIT: u sure u wanna quit now? u dont wanna get a brit mirror revenge first? u know i owned u pretty hard, u cant quit now i guess.