Why did the community leave the official AoE III forums?

No Flag RadiatingBlade
Crossbow

Post by RadiatingBlade »

Hi guys, I''m rhrmn (redhrts) who used to play Age of Empires Online and still occasionally plays Age of Empires II HD.

Anterior2 asked the following questions on the official forums:

"When did the AoE3 community leave these forums and go to ESO-C? The AoE3 section here is a wasteland and ESO-C has suddenly turned into a really active website overnight! It''s like somebody took the old RTSanctuary, HeavenGames, and AgeCommunity communities and put them all together! What was so bad about these forums that it drove everyone away?"

If someone from the AoE III community could kindly answer Anterior2''s questions, it would be greatly appreciated. I believe it has to do with tournaments and recorded games hosting. However, since I have never been active in the AoE III community, I wanted to ask you guys directly.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The official forums look bleak and like shit. Alot of big name players are admins here which attracted other big name players which attracted everyone else. Also, the tournaments.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Those forums, idk. They're ugly, annoying and terrible. The switch from agecomm to those actually made me quit aoe3 for more than a year. This one is cool and good looking, easy to use and amazing though. It made me get back into the game.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

[video src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2eH3vYbdGo&'t=12m32s"][/video]
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Everything was fine until AgeCommunity closed. The new forums looked ugly and were buggy. Still, I've been there until ESOC launched, I was always optimistic but in the end, really nobody posted there anymore... When I saw this forum I actually stopped being active on the official forum and switched to here.
One thing you have to remember is that the admins really listen to the community. I can't remember seeing much changes on the official forums if people asked for it.

But it's nice to see you here redhrts! I really have to visit the official forums again. Like I did half a year ago, a couple times a day xD
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
No Flag RadiatingBlade
Crossbow

Post by RadiatingBlade »

Thanks for the replies. The draw of well-known players and hosted tournaments makes sense to me. For what it''s worth, the AoE community proposed an AoE forum theme (icons, skins, backgrounds, etc.), but doing so is probably more work than Microsoft is willing to invest right now.
No Flag RadiatingBlade
Crossbow

Post by RadiatingBlade »

Hi MCJim, I feel you on listening to the community.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

It sort of happened all at once for some reason. A few people ran a successful tournament, some people then decided to build on that and then stuff just kept growing until what we have now.

Agecomm was a good place back in the day, as was AgeSanc.

I've been thinking of posting more on official forums but there's a dire lack of activity there which makes it hard to come back.

We also have Metis posting here. Can't top that
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag RadiatingBlade
Crossbow

Post by RadiatingBlade »

There is currently a lot of activity on the official AoE forums, but it is mostly related to AoE: Castle Siege. ')

Metis is a great member of the AoE community.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

The old forums are buggy, shitty-looking, and have no useful content (no replays).

They are also run by a staff that does not care about AoE 3, and therefore doesn't do anything for it. The issues that members of the community cited back in 2013 have STILL not been dealt with. This site on the other hand is run by fans who are actually motivated to make the community better.

This site also doesn't have a restricting censor, and doesn't administer bans for reporting cheaters.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag RadiatingBlade
Crossbow

Post by RadiatingBlade »

Hi Papist, They launched a new forum and website this summer. Are you talking about them or the old website and forums which launched in Fall 2013 alongside AoE II HD: The Forgotten Expansion?
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

rhrmn wrote:Hi Papist, They launched a new forum and website this summer. Are you talking about them or the old website and forums which launched in Fall 2013 alongside AoE II HD: The Forgotten Expansion?

I am aware that they launched new forums, but many of the issues with the old ones remain, sadly. There is still no section for replays or custom files, for instance.
No Flag RadiatingBlade
Crossbow

Post by RadiatingBlade »

Did Age Community ever have the feature to upload replays or custom files?
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

When MS took away the off topic section they rang the first death knell for the old forum. An off topic section is important to a forum as people who get to know each other usually have more things to discuss than those limited to the forum's main theme. After the off topic section was removed, the Agecomm moderators' rather heavy-handed quashing of everything not directly pertaining to AOE did the community a great disservice. Even though off topic discussion was reinstituted in the new official forum it came too late. Most of the Agecomm community had already left for other venues.

The slow, buggy nature of the new official forums also made it difficult to post, which lead many of the few Agecommers who moved there to abandon them. Even now, the response of the official forum site seems slow.

This is not to say that the MS moderators didn't try, at least at first. However, as the AOE III posts dwindled their interest in that part of the forum also waned. Combine this with the abandonment of AOEO and there soon was little posting at all on ageofempires.com. Posting came back with the advent of Castle Siege but few AOE III players even took a look at that game. And, for all the work MS did with AOE II HD its forum is more dead than the one for AOE III. Essentially, the official forum is just for Castle Siege now.

Kudos to the creators and maintainers of this new "Agecomm." The work here, not only with the forum but also with tournaments and videos, has breathed new life into this old game and its dwindling community. While I don't necessarily agree with all of the decisions made here (mainly regarding the locking of posts about the rash of cheaters we are now experiencing), you are to be commended for putting in a lot of work keeping the community alive. Good job.

We also have Metis posting here. Can't top that...

If I could fine a "blush" emoticon I'd add one here.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

metis wrote:Kudos to the creators and maintainers of this new "Agecomm." The work here, not only with the forum but also with tournaments and videos, has breathed new life into this old game and its dwindling community. While I don''t necessarily agree with all of the decisions made here (mainly regarding the locking of posts about the rash of cheaters we are now experiencing), you are to be commended for putting in a lot of work keeping the community alive. Good job.

We also have Metis posting here. Can''t top that...
If I could fine a "blush" emoticon I''d add one here.
[img style="max-width:100%'" src="http://www.weerwolvenvanwakkerdam.nl/forum/Smileys/default/azn.gif" alt=""]
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

rhrmn wrote:Did Age Community ever have the feature to upload replays or custom files?

No, it was an issue there as well.

But that was just an example. I was frustrated by MS''s failure to act in a general sense.
Bosnia & Herzegovina medinos
Lancer
ESO: AlexBoye,Daddysmurf

Post by medinos »

They don't even do they job when we report cheaters THEY CAN JUST FUCK OFF
It would be good to make here aoe 2 forums too
This forums are really good made and make this forums official pay this people for their job..
And most importanly the forums were always thrash the official ones..
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

medinos wrote:They don''t even do they job when we report cheaters THEY CAN JUST FUCK OFF
This forums are really good made and make this forums official pay this people for their job..
I agree with the AoE2 suggestion. Perhaps it could be a trial run and, if successful, be turned into a full forum.
No Flag RadiatingBlade
Crossbow

Post by RadiatingBlade »

papist wrote:
medinos wrote:They dont even do they job when we report cheaters THEY CAN JUST FUCK OFF
I agree with the AoE2 suggestion. Perhaps it could be a trial run and, if successful, be turned into a full forum.

Most of the active AoE II community resides on AoCZone. It may be difficult for a new online community to compete.
Greece TomGR
Musketeer

Post by TomGR »

jerom wrote:Those forums, idk. They''re ugly, annoying and terrible. The switch from agecomm to those actually made me quit aoe3 for more than a year. This one is cool and good looking, easy to use and amazing though. It made me get back into the game.
Pretty much this. Agecomm was like counter strike 1.6. It was very simple but hell it was fucking addictive. This new forum as well as the treaty tournament made me return to the game since it seems like the community has been revived.
I would like to take the chance to thank everyone who contributed to the creation of this forum, the admins and everyone who is helping to make all these tournaments.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

The new official forums look dope as fuck
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

We're goobers that's why. If a link to this site hadn't showed up somewhere I was looking I may have gave up on aoe and community. I looked at the main forums---> nobody there for no reason really. They worked fine for me.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Im not sure what it was, but there was something with those new forums that made me leave. I dont quite know what it was exactly.
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Post by Einfein »

I can't speak for the community, but I personally came to this site because it was active, all about AoE3 and was running the Winter Tournament (best finals ever!). I was on the official forum for a short time, but AoE3 felt extremely neglected on it, all the admins seem to post only things about AoE2 and AoT.
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

rhrmn wrote:
papist wrote:I agree with the AoE2 suggestion. Perhaps it could be a trial run and, if successful, be turned into a full forum.

Most of the active AoE II community resides on AoCZone. It may be difficult for a new online community to compete.

Ah, I had forgotten about that. Nevermind, dumb idea.