FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by DerMaxinator »

ivan wrote:
dermaxinator wrote:Whos Jab? Never heard of him...[span] [/span]
You havent really actively played FFAs then. I have played FFAs with Jab since 2008 or so and I dont play that often.
I guess your right ')
Never really played them actively, only for fun once in a while, and then got a bit pissed because the one who doesnt fight wins...
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by gibson »

ivan wrote:
gibson wrote:amen, especially if its Jab..... I cant stand that guy, I think literally the funnest time I have ever had playing age of Empires was meticulously and systematically destroying his base over and over again in an ffa game.
Oh that motherfucker.
Yeah if hes in a FFA game I always go after him first and I do the possible to make sure I kill every last of his villies. The more he whines, the more Im motived to finish him.
I actually managed to piss him off so much and ruined so many of his games - he literally pested all my accounts.

lol that must have been great, I should do it more
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by edeholland »

There should be some tiny FFA map where you have to fight for resources and map control...
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by MCJim »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:I just gotta say, I love FFA (free for all). It is really fun, builds XP for your civ and hones in skills and is a good test area for different strats. [...]

@bramboy
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by Papist »

Lol Jab. Whines about teaming, except when he needs help.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by gibson »

papist wrote:Lol Jab. Whines about teaming, except when he needs help.

ye no one likes jabs.... He''s a racist motherfucker too
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by _RDX_ »

Hmm FFA is quite fun. But it's boring when it goes for a long time. Through FFA, you can learn how to defend two enemy attacks at a time. E.g. if you play 2v2, and your ally has resigned. You can test some of your FFA skills there.
oranges.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I disagree with the statement who ever fights the least wins (though economy does help). I say this because I win over 70% of the time now. FFAs are filled with all skill levels. and some noobs just don't know how to boom but sit there. Skilled players tend to attack earlier on because they are more comfortable and know they don't need tens of thousands stockpiled. A skilled player with fewer resources will know how to manage their eco to sustain fighting and not waste units in foolish battles. And to act with complete intention, i.e. fighting the most important places. Even when i do have a huge economy I rarely even need half of it unless I'm fighting ports a really good france or china that takes all I got. But I've learned to not let those civs boom much and take them out in their weak spots right after age 5. some games I like to get spies and watch the noob battles and be a commentator to help them do better, like telling then what units to make or stop making etc... because noob bashing isn't that fun for me, unless they attack me. then i show them the full power of india. and yes _rdx_ learning to fight and even win in 2v1 is where I gained my skill sets. Learning to set priorities and attack the weaker player first but that's where a healthy Eco really is necessary., it can be quite challenging but also satisfyingly fun.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by Papist »

I used to be pretty friendly with Jab until I resigned at the beginning of a game and saw he had spawned 3 fluffies to get the big xp treasures early on. I don't think he made a habit of using those hacks, but I just don't like playing with people who gain an unfair advantage, no matter how nice they might be in one on one interactions.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by Good ol Ivan »

papist wrote:I used to be pretty friendly with Jab until I resigned at the beginning of a game and saw he had spawned 3 fluffies to get the big xp treasures early on. I don''t think he made a habit of using those hacks, but I just don''t like playing with people who gain an unfair advantage, no matter how nice they might be in one on one interactions.
Fucking knew it, and called it too.
I bet he doesn''t go full moesbar because he knows no one would play with him anymore, and it''s not like he''s precisely well-liked as it is.
Thanks for posting that information, seriously. Now if I can''t convince people not to play with Jab otherwise, this should suffice.

Also is it just me or the vast majority of cheaters play treaty?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by momuuu »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:I disagree with the statement who ever fights the least wins (though economy does help). I say this because I win over 70% of the time now. FFAs are filled with all skill levels. and some noobs just don''t know how to boom but sit there. Skilled players tend to attack earlier on because they are more comfortable and know they don''t need tens of thousands stockpiled. A skilled player with fewer resources will know how to manage their eco to sustain fighting and not waste units in foolish battles. And to act with complete intention, i.e. fighting the most important places. Even when i do have a huge economy I rarely even need half of it unless I''m fighting ports a really good france or china that takes all I got. But I''ve learned to not let those civs boom much and take them out in their weak spots right after age 5. some games I like to get spies and watch the noob battles and be a commentator to help them do better, like telling then what units to make or stop making etc... because noob bashing isn''t that fun for me, unless they attack me. then i show them the full power of india. and yes _rdx_ learning to fight and even win in 2v1 is where I gained my skill sets. Learning to set priorities and attack the weaker player first but that''s where a healthy Eco really is necessary., it can be quite challenging but also satisfyingly fun.

have you ever attacked before reaching imperial?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by gibson »

ivan wrote:
papist wrote:I used to be pretty friendly with Jab until I resigned at the beginning of a game and saw he had spawned 3 fluffies to get the big xp treasures early on. I dont think he made a habit of using those hacks, but I just dont like playing with people who gain an unfair advantage, no matter how nice they might be in one on one interactions.
Fucking knew it, and called it too.
I bet he doesnt go full moesbar because he knows no one would play with him anymore, and its not like hes precisely well-liked as it is.
Thanks for posting that information, seriously. Now if I cant convince people not to play with Jab otherwise, this should suffice.

Also is it just me or the vast majority of cheaters play treaty?

Yea he spawned riderless elephants in a ffa koth with me once.....
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

of cource I have and do... its often way more efficient to kill someone in age 3-4 catching them off guard or under prepared than after they have time to get all upgrades and everything. I use tactics from the art of war as to who and when and why I attack someone. But I've gotten pretty OP with india so I don't tend to get stuck in long drawn out battles. But even if I do its still fun whether I win or lose in the end. like in game earlier today, 6 player on deccan. I was next to a spainish guy and he raided 2 villies. The rest made it to safety. we were both age 3. I stopped his 2nd TC from going up on the edge of map and made an army of 2 seige eles, 3 mahouts and a bunch of sepoy and gurka. his army was mass skirms and gerhocristas, Instead of engaging where his army was i flanked his base and made a FB. his army finally got to me after he lost 1 baracks and stable, my sepoy went on hand attack and mahouts target to skirm mass. it was close i had about 1 mahout, 1 seige ele and a few sepoy left and he lost his other barracks, I sent in reinforcements to kill base and scout out his running villies. After my explorer followed his and killed him he went out. i aged up 4- and as hit 5 then this port guy was taking out my TP so i wen to attack him too. I couldnt directly engage his units because i didn't have upgrades but i took a defensive position and got my imperial upgrades to match his. hif him i had 7 mahout ele, 9 utumi, some sepoy a seige ele. he was using inf and jinetes. but the hand attacks killed his army, I then took out his wall and walked in built another FB. and after some more fighting took out his base. there were still 3 players left at that point but my score was 200 points above the rest. then the game went OOS. btw my pr is 24.98 on treaty right now.
No Flag 360noob
Crossbow

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by 360noob »

It fun until after you destroy their base they rebuild behind someone elses base and the person allows it. Then they all team against you for rushing. Ive had 4 people go for me. Imo teaming in ffa is bullshit. ?t free for all every man for themselves. If i want teams ill just play a team game. The reason why i rush is because if you let the person beside you build up they will team with another person and attack you. Happens in every ffa match ive been in. Another situation one guy on the otherside of the map ignores the two person beside them then go for me on the opposite side of the map. Teaming is lame in ffa it ruins the purpose of it.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Agreed teaming is lame. If a player teams the person I am fighting I will go help them out and serve them the same justice by attacking them instead until our battle can resume. But I think u must attract it in some way because its not in every game. I have tons of great ffa players i know who don't do that, and players who do get on my pest list. having peaceful neighbors is fine but no double attacks. When that happens I realize I've already won because these people too cowardly to fight and then give it my best shot to see how long I can defend from. that's when you bunker behind your walls and defend one army and then do all u can to harrass and kill the weakest player. Hopping u have some economy to delete a few villies and use NATs
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by momuuu »

I should find you and beat you in an ffa. It is my next goal in life.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by momuuu »

360noob wrote:It fun until after you destroy their base they rebuild behind someone elses base and the person allows it. Then they all team against you for rushing. Ive had 4 people go for me. Imo teaming in ffa is bullshit. ?t free for all every man for themselves. If i want teams ill just play a team game. The reason why i rush is because if you let the person beside you build up they will team with another person and attack you. Happens in every ffa match ive been in. Another situation one guy on the otherside of the map ignores the two person beside them then go for me on the opposite side of the map. Teaming is lame in ffa it ruins the purpose of it.

yes, its actually borderline impossible to kill someone on your own if the rest is just booming. The map is so large its simply impossible to effectively find and eleminate them.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by gibson »

If I played ffa on large maps regularly it would drive to get map hack for sure.....
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by Papist »

FFA is very reputation and psychologically driven. People like Jab, Phoneutria, Narkus, etc. have bad reputations, and usually get rushed for this reason. I have had a lot of success by adopting a North Korean bluffing style (e.g. Threatening over minor things like a tp or explorer, threatening an attack in age 3 when we are both booming, glamourizing victories, etc.).
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Well Jerom your welcome to join any one of my FFAs, Im sure you will use one of your practiced OP rush strats. I will run and u will get mad about it and I will come back and kill you or you will resign early and say you did your job and then I will still go on to pobbibly win the match. Its certainaly not the first 2nd or third time its happened and I've come back from worse. But since I know u have some kind of grudge vs me it would also change my strat as well. But I don't want to sound too cocky here I am beatable, its just not easy.

and yeah I agree Papist I have a pretty good reputation among the players I tend to play with over and over (hey you look familair!) having an early high score to intimidate. just be sure to follow up on your bluffs, even if it takes you a little more time to prepare to have a large army to get the job done right.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

btw jerom what is your gamer name?
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by MCJim »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:btw jerom what is your gamer name?

My long search ended on his signature: "ESO: Jerom_ and Jerom_the_brave"
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by momuuu »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:Well Jerom your welcome to join any one of my FFAs, Im sure you will use one of your practiced OP rush strats. I will run and u will get mad about it and I will come back and kill you or you will resign early and say you did your job and then I will still go on to pobbibly win the match. Its certainaly not the first 2nd or third time its happened and I''ve come back from worse. But since I know u have some kind of grudge vs me it would also change my strat as well. But I don''t want to sound too cocky here I am beatable, its just not easy.

and yeah I agree Papist I have a pretty good reputation among the players I tend to play with over and over (hey you look familair!) having an early high score to intimidate. just be sure to follow up on your bluffs, even if it takes you a little more time to prepare to have a large army to get the job done right.

I played an ffa game and did indeed leave when it became treaty. Its a very boring gamemode, and you can only be good at it if you can stand the boredom. I prefer ruining the day of some people and then leaving the game again to do something useful with my life.

In ffa there is barely any reason to attack if you want to win it.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Ironic that I don't care for games that never really get out of age 2 -3 and prefer to fight with the full power of a civ. To me when i see players complain about it being boring that really means they know they got a crumby deck for longer games and don't want to admit the choice to attack age 2 cost them the ability to win it in the long run. being able to play in battles continuously vs different players doesn't seem boring to me.... having to wait in a lobby to find another game to play and then starting all over seems boring to me. fighting at 7 mins Is like trying to breaking the legs of someone and then wanting to fight a cripple. I prefer good honest fair battles between equal players.

Which makes me wonder why you even are posting here to begin with, I had hoped this thread would bring some awareness and brotherhood for the love of FFAS they really are fun and they are what you make it to be. but instead its filled with troll like comments on how boring it is if basically they cant kill everyone before imperial. I am happy for SUP and TR and DM players and playing their game types. I don't go on to those threads and start trashing it. I would just move on rather than trying to diminish players for a valid game type that is good for SUP player for the previous stated reasons, It builds Xp for your low civs and builds skills while not effecting your PR. Allowing you to try different strats to see how they pan out. Any newb would benefit from playing a lot of FFA. But if you want to win if that is your aim, then yes you do not want a rush deck with units and too many crates. but that does not mean you cannot rush with that either because the best time to rush is late age 3 or early 4. deciding when to attack is part of the stratedgy.

like the game I played today on sagunaey. I did my regular boom and saw that a dutch player had taken the sea, he was in a lower age but had a higher score, So I knew that i need to get to imperial first because if i had attacked he would have out produced me and still aged up. But I also knew once in imperial i would have an army that would match his but I could not wait long. I aged first be he was constantly aging too finishing right behind me (i hot imperial around 17 mins) and still had about an extra 150-200 points, I also counted on that a dutch on sea had a smaller army thus making them weaker and india already does very well vs them. I had the most basic upgrades i needed to fight dutch and got through his walls and took out his houses and factories and banks. since he controlled the sea he landed a bunch of halbs on my side (we were at opposite ends) he goes for my karni and other wonders and does get them but leaves my eco intact, his base is pretty well shredded now. I then start to make boats to take on the water front and within some time he resigns. Immediately afterward a 1st lt attacks my 2 layer wall and gets in. I have no army or FB there. So I make a few men and assign many villies to put up FB. I lose a lot of men becasue im trying to constantly produce to catch up but eventually break him back to a line, while also sending a small scout party of sepoy to look for his base. He is 700 points ahead of me. Once I find his base I see he has no walls because he was fighting a sioux player earlier on. Once I start to attack him he resigns saying " I don't like fighting your india, you always seem to beat me anyways GG" honestly had he tried he still could have won because ports own india but guess he got bored too saying he likes the early fights. I like persevering through all odds.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

FFA FFA FFA FFA FFA

Post by Good ol Ivan »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:To me when i see players complain about it being boring that really means they know they got a crumby deck for longer games and don't want to admit the choice to attack age 2 cost them the ability to win it in the long run.
Lol its not that hard to make a deck for treaty. Just make one where you use nats and one where you dont. In the other hand I sometimes need ~8 different decks for the same civ for 1v1 sup.
And yes, obviously attacking in age 2 greatly impairs my boom, aging time, etc... - and makes it easier for other players to take me out once they finish booming. I doubt anyone would argue otherwise...
You see, we dont actually care as winning implies wasting ~2 hours playing treaty. And thats gay and boring as fuck.

howlingwolfpaw wrote:being able to play in battles continuously vs different players doesnt seem boring to me.... having to wait in a lobby to find another game to play and then starting all over seems boring to me.
But it is. You make the same unit combo for a lot of time until your resources run out and/or someone manages to get a cav box inside the enemys base.
Having to wait at lobby is boring indeed, I just text/play with my cell most of the time. For 1v1s you can QS to get a game going within a short time after ending the last one (unless there are less than 600 players online).

howlingwolfpaw wrote:fighting at 7 mins Is like trying to breaking the legs of someone and then wanting to fight a cripple. I prefer good honest fair battles between equal players.
The hell am I reading.

howlingwolfpaw wrote:Which makes me wonder why you even are posting here to begin with, I had hoped this thread would bring some awareness and brotherhood for the love of FFAS they really are fun and they are what you make it to be. but instead its filled with troll like comments on how boring it is if basically they cant kill everyone before imperial.
Well, FFAs can be really fun if there are no treaty noobs involved.[span]
Most FFAs in Andes or Mongolia are awesome.
We arent trolling, we are just being honest.
[/span]And indeed we play FFAs for fun. But theres little fun if everyones trying to win by booming and keeping low profile.