Gaming mouse

No Flag 360noob
Crossbow

Gaming mouse

Post by 360noob »

I have been thinking of getting a gaming mouse. Currently Im using a standard logitech mouse from like walmart or something. Is it worth getting a gaming mouse? What brand and model would you recommend getting?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Gaming mouse

Post by momuuu »

I personally wouldnt pay for buttons on the mouse. Maybe if the accuracy is good and you have too much money.

Rather, invest in a dual screen setup so you can be more efficient at streamsniping or browse esoc while playing.
No Flag Wuangaga
Lancer

Gaming mouse

Post by Wuangaga »

It's not worth getting a mouse for aoe imo. You don't rely on mouse accuracy that much and you have enough hotkeys on your keyboard to operate all your stuff.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Gaming mouse

Post by Papist »

Don't buy a gaming mouse unless you play high-apm games like Starcraft.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag Wuangaga
Lancer

Gaming mouse

Post by Wuangaga »

papist wrote:Don''t buy a gaming mouse unless you play high-apm games like Starcraft.
Or even shooters.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Gaming mouse

Post by Metis »

I've got a mouse with two extra buttons at the thumb that are used to move forward and back in web pages. It never has occurred to me to program them for the game. Hmm... I wonder what I could do with them.
Great Britain Method_man714
Lancer
ESO: Therotivator

Gaming mouse

Post by Method_man714 »

metis wrote:I''ve got a mouse with two extra buttons at the thumb that are used to move forward and back in web pages. It never has occurred to me to program them for the game. Hmm... I wonder what I could do with them.

I don''t think it''s possible to program them for aoe, let me know if you can tho
hazzarov: can u fk off callen
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Gaming mouse

Post by momuuu »

Precision isnt that important in aoe given the size of units. I think a ~1-2% uncertainty in mouse accuracy is no problem at all.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Gaming mouse

Post by Aizamk »

I use my mouse quite a bit, and tbh I don't think it really matters that much. For 3 years I had this tiny compact Microsoft mouse, recently had to give that one a funeral and get a Logitech M105, both have worked equally well for me.
oranges.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Gaming mouse

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Imo it is worth, it helps a lot.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Gaming mouse

Post by bobabu »

As long as the mouse isn't too heavy you should be fine with a standart mouse. I don't think that it actually matters if you have one or not since there are no players which play at the lvl where it starts to matter.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Gaming mouse

Post by Papist »

diarouga wrote:Imo it is worth, it helps a lot.

I''m not sure how much an advantage a mouse could give, considering how much of this game is keyboard based.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Howdah

Gaming mouse

Post by Metis »

I tried to use the Setpoint software to program keystrokes for the forward and back buttons on my Logitech mouse but I couldn't get it to work in for AOE III.

Edit:

Just looked at ES_MrMilo's Hotkey Guide for his hotkey mod. Silly me! All you have to do is open the in-game hotkey configuration and then press the mouse button that you want to change the hotkey to, no out of game programming required. No wonder I couldn't get the Setpoint configuration to work -- the forward and back buttons were already mapped!
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Gaming mouse

Post by Garja »

To play any game seriously you need a mouse that let you set the DPI so that you can disable the default acceleration in Windows.
That's the main thing about the mouse. Buttons and all other stuff is not really necessary for a RTS.
Image Image Image
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Gaming mouse

Post by Dolan »

bobabu wrote:As long as the mouse isn''t too heavy you should be fine with a standart mouse. I don''t think that it actually matters if you have one or not since there are no players which play at the lvl where it starts to matter.
This, tbh. People take themselves too seriously playing AOE3 when there''s no reason. It''s an old game nobody in the mainstream media cares about anymore.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Gaming mouse

Post by bobabu »

garja wrote:To play any game seriously you need a mouse that let you set the DPI so that you can disable the default acceleration in Windows.
That''s the main thing about the mouse. Buttons and all other stuff is not really necessary for a RTS.
Isn''t this cheating my good friend garja.., zzz
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Gaming mouse

Post by Garja »

You joking? How is that cheating? You're only setting the speed of your mouse and you do tha natively instead through windows. If that was cheating that every pro gamer would be a cheater.
Image Image Image
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Gaming mouse

Post by DerMaxinator »

aizamk wrote:I use my mouse quite a bit, and tbh I don''t think it really matters that much. For 3 years I had this tiny compact Microsoft mouse, recently had to give that one a funeral and get a Logitech M105, both have worked equally well for me.
But of that what I have seen of you, you don''t use control groups for units right?
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Gaming mouse

Post by bobabu »

garja wrote:You joking? How is that cheating? You''re only setting the speed of your mouse and you do tha natively instead through windows. If that was cheating that every pro gamer would be a cheater.[attachment id="2031" thumbnail="1"]
Attachments
3431683-sarcasm_o_2388861.jpg
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Gaming mouse

Post by Garja »

I know people that would go as far as arguing it is cheating.
Image Image Image
Howdah

Gaming mouse

Post by Metis »

I just played a game where I hotkeyed pens to the "foward" and "back" buttons of my mouse (forward to select the pens control group and back make sheep). I can't say that it worked any better than my normal 7, U. It did keep me from having to reach across the keyboard but it also made my thumb really tired.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Gaming mouse

Post by momuuu »

Mouse buttons are particulary useless. Youre much better off remapping some hotkeys for control groups (like ctrl1 to ctrlf1 or q or whatever suits you).
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Gaming mouse

Post by briowl »

360noob wrote:I have been thinking of getting a gaming mouse. Currently Im using a standard logitech mouse from like walmart or something. Is it worth getting a gaming mouse? What brand and model would you recommend getting?
if you want to follow me down this route (I refuse to use the keyboard when I''m playing because being all hunched up like that just feels too much like work), then a gaming mouse on it''s own isn''t enough. I have a razer naga tartarus combo and I''ve mapped everything (and I mean everything- I never touch the keyboard when I''m playing aoe3) to the keys on both. My ''find'' keys and control groups are on the thumb buttons on the mouse and the actions are on the keypad. It''s a little complicated but my apm increased massively, although mostly that is due to my apm being pretty low in the first place because I dont play that often.
No Flag illmatic
Dragoon

Gaming mouse

Post by illmatic »

briowl wrote:
360noob wrote:I have been thinking of getting a gaming mouse. Currently Im using a standard logitech mouse from like walmart or something. Is it worth getting a gaming mouse? What brand and model would you recommend getting?
if you want to follow me down this route (I refuse to use the keyboard when Im playing because being all hunched up like that just feels too much like work), then a gaming mouse on its own isnt enough. I have a razer naga tartarus combo and Ive mapped everything (and I mean everything- I never touch the keyboard when Im playing aoe3) to the keys on both. My find keys and control groups are on the thumb buttons on the mouse and the actions are on the keypad. Its a little complicated but my apm increased massively, although mostly that is due to my apm being pretty low in the first place because I dont play that often. ?

lol yea i saw those they were like $200.
I never brag how real I keep it, cause it's the best secret
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Gaming mouse

Post by briowl »

illmatic wrote:
briowl wrote:if you want to follow me down this route (I refuse to use the keyboard when Im playing because being all hunched up like that just feels too much like work), then a gaming mouse on its own isnt enough. I have a razer naga tartarus combo and Ive mapped everything (and I mean everything- I never touch the keyboard when Im playing aoe3) to the keys on both. My find keys and control groups are on the thumb buttons on the mouse and the actions are on the keypad. Its a little complicated but my apm increased massively, although mostly that is due to my apm being pretty low in the first place because I dont play that often.
lol yea i saw those they were like $200.
yea if you include the brushed aluminium mousepad :)