Which of these do you consider cheating?

Which (if any) of these do you consider cheating?

Transparent UI mod
10%
Non-transparent UI mod
5%
Brown fat cow mod
12%
Blue culverin mod
14%
Multiple-click macro
13%
Auto-cowing macro
24%
Metis's quick delete pillars hotkey
6%
Agra Fort hotkey
4%
Hotkey file bug fixes
4%
Other not ruled on by a moderator (specify)
7%

Total votes: 208

India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

metis wrote:I would consider Agra Fort hotkeys to be a bug fix

Exactly! They''re an improvement to the game.

I fear getting banned for using Agra Hotkeys after I heard bobabu''s story and curse of the idiotic ms moderators who ban people unnecessarily and allow moesbar hackers.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

yemshi wrote:Everything that is not part of the original game is a cheat.
FP''s, NE and so are not a cheat.
Can''t say that your logic works here, what you have done is present a syllogistic fallacy.

If ~P then Q
~P
Therefore, ~Q

Everything that is not part of the original game is a cheat.
Fanpatches are not part of the original game.
Therefore, fanpatches are not a cheat

If your initial premise is true, then fanpatches, as they are not part of the original game, also should be considered cheats.

I have no idea what "NE" is.
No Flag spear
Crossbow

Post by spear »

1. Yemshi is correct. Here, AoE3 released by Microsoft is THE ORIGINAL GAME including official patches etc. The matches played on ESO are rated also. Any modification to the original game to benefit someone is a cheat.

2. If I take source code(suppose officially released) of AoE3 and make another game and called it ABC, now this ABC is the ORIGINAL "DIFFERENT" GAME. Any modification to this original game is a cheat. Similary FP/Scenario etc are not a cheat because they provide different platform for users to play and ALL USERS who want to play FANPATCH/SCENARIO must have the patch/scenario installed. If I modify this fan patch/scenario game to benefit me then it is cheating.

The First Part is called official Original game.
The Second Part is called CUSTOM MAPS/SCENARIOS/GAMES. And many original games(Aoe3, Crysis etc) allow this.
No Flag jaype22
Musketeer

Post by jaype22 »

Everything that isn't changeable in the options.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

Nothing serious, but whats blue culverin mod?
And what it actually do?
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Fan patches might be considered the ultimate cheat if those who create the patch also play. As I've said before, not only will the creators of the patch know it inside and out, they are going to be modifying the game based on how they, themselves, play the game, which may overtly or inadvertently give them an advantage. Time and again ES and RE developers have told fan patchers that, while their intentions might be good, they are oftentimes just causing more imbalance to the game. Furthermore, if a fan patch is rated, then the ladders will be messed up because some games will be played on it an some will not. Of course point traders (cheat) and noob bashers (not a cheat but bat game etiquette) mess up the ladder more than anyone.

Most of the Fan patch ideas are totally off the wall crazy, completely changing the way certain civilizations work, and that's not a good idea. -- Duncan Stanley, Robot Entertainment.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

thebritish wrote: whats blue culverin mod?

Firstly, I just made blue culverin mode. It is just a ***ing blue culverin. Not more powerful, or not auto shooter. When I uploaded one video with this mode, This the most arrogant g*y I ever seen Lukas directly called me cheater. I was ****. It is just a different color nothing else!

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... ileid=3674
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

I would vote in this poll, but turning all of your opponent's units into cows isn't an option.
Taunt 3
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

metis wrote:Fan patches might be considered the ultimate cheat if those who create the patch also play. As I''ve said before, not only will the creators of the patch know it inside and out, they are going to be modifying the game based on how they, themselves, play the game, which may overtly or inadvertently give them an advantage. Time and again ES and RE developers have told fan patchers that, while their intentions might be good, they are oftentimes just causing more imbalance to the game. Furthermore, if a fan patch is rated, then the ladders will be messed up because some games will be played on it an some will not. Of course point traders (cheat) and noob bashers (not a cheat but bat game etiquette) mess up the ladder more than anyone.

Most of the Fan patch ideas are totally off the wall crazy, completely changing the way certain civilizations work, and that''s not a good idea. -- Duncan Stanley, Robot Entertainment.
That''s just on paper tho. In practice a fan patch is only doing good.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

metis wrote:
Firstly, I just made blue culverin mode. It is just a ***ing blue culverin. Not more powerful, or not auto shooter. When I uploaded one video with this mode, This the most arrogant g*y I ever seen Lukas directly called me cheater. I was ****. It is just a different color nothing else!

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... ileid=3674

"Now, I am going to write here some players. Many of them are Godless atheists, maybe my words won''t make sense for them, but still I am warning them. If they won''t listen me, they will have to pay for it afterdeath."

"I am reminding once more, If you don''t listen me and use my modes, you will have to pay for it afterdeath. If you scare of God, Don''t use them."

wtf is this guy
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag dicktator
Skirmisher

Post by dicktator »

kaiserklein wrote:
metis wrote:
"Now, I am going to write here some players. Many of them are Godless atheists, maybe my words wont make sense for them, but still I am warning them. If they wont listen me, they will have to pay for it afterdeath."

"I am reminding once more, If you dont listen me and use my modes, you will have to pay for it afterdeath. If you scare of God, Dont use them."

wtf is this guy

lmao the comments for those mods were so hilarious.

Anyway tbh I dont think the macros are cheats because u can get the same result using a programmable mouse/keyboard.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

macros over programmable mouse/kb are cheat aswell.
Image Image Image
No Flag spear
Crossbow

Post by spear »

metis wrote:Fan patches might be considered the ultimate cheat if those who create the patch also play. As I''ve said before, not only will the creators of the patch know it inside and out, they are going to be modifying the game based on how they, themselves, play the game, which may overtly or inadvertently give them an advantage. Time and again ES and RE developers have told fan patchers that, while their intentions might be good, they are oftentimes just causing more imbalance to the game. Furthermore, if a fan patch is rated, then the ladders will be messed up because some games will be played on it an some will not. Of course point traders (cheat) and noob bashers (not a cheat but bat game etiquette) mess up the ladder more than anyone.

Most of the Fan patch ideas are totally off the wall crazy, completely changing the way certain civilizations work, and that''s not a good idea. -- Duncan Stanley, Robot Entertainment.
Yeah you are right about fanpatch except the cheat part. If you say like creator of the patch might benefit or do something which help them then MS also has left codes for guys like Mosebaer to use. While it is true that creator of the patch can put some bugs but we use fanpatch made by people we have trusted over time. Even if they leave some bugs there are people who will find then sooner or later.
I STILL do not find any fanpatch exciting over the original game(=AoE3) just for what Ducan has said. But a fanpatch can be better than the original game sometimes because the utlimate game testers are people who have played the game all time. Take Skyrim for an example, many graphics modification has made it better or far cry 3 where some mods made it more challenging or real life.
No Flag lukasl99
Musketeer

Post by lukasl99 »

kaiserklein wrote:
metis wrote:
"Now, I am going to write here some players. Many of them are Godless atheists, maybe my words wont make sense for them, but still I am warning them. If they wont listen me, they will have to pay for it afterdeath."

"I am reminding once more, If you dont listen me and use my modes, you will have to pay for it afterdeath. If you scare of God, Dont use them."

wtf is this guy
Hes a massive joke, sadly hes not even trolling
No Flag spear
Crossbow

Post by spear »

garja wrote:macros over programmable mouse/kb are cheat aswell.
+1
Why, because with macros one can do a task faster or with less effort. An example : automatic reloading weapon vs manual reloading weapon.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I Like (or actually don't like) how I get hated on for sayin alt d is not really cheating but just pressing 2 keys then people come and defend all these other modifications to the game as not cheats.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

And also some mod that saves keystrokes is absolutely cheating! That should be a no brained.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

People consider a prettier UI a cheat? '(
Howdah

Post by Metis »

I have no problem with fanpatches or mods per se. In fact, I really enjoy playing scenarios. What I do object to, however, is making fanpatch games rated. Someone who does well on the fanpatch may not do so well in the regular game or vice versa. Adding fanpatch wins and losses to the regular data is just going to mess up the ladders further than they already are. I'm not detracting from the hard work that the patchers are doing here, just pointing out some issues.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

I've been checking out gaming mice lately because someone is asking for suggestions over on the tech forums. I've never used anything but a standard mouse but have talked to several people in the game who use gaming mice. Some gaming mice have macro capability. Without modifying anything in the game, these mice allow you to perform multiple commands with a single click. This would (and probably does) give those who are willing to fork over $150 for the ultimate gaming mouse/pad a distinct advantage of those who are not.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

japan fi is using bug
Howdah

Post by Metis »

It's interesting how the voting is coming out. I would have thought that a hotkey bug fix, like correcting the village goat bug, would have received zero votes as a cheat. It's also interesting how many think brown fat cows are a cheat as the game already has four indicators of fattened cows (they become rotund, run away from the pens, can't be re-tasked back to a pen and show 500 food). I was thinking that brown fat cows would be considered along the lines of something like friend or foe colors.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I should have included the rotator as another control group.
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

papist wrote:Aside from the obvious stuff (zoom mod, etc), I consider any color or automation mods to be cheating.

indeed for some people this game is at least partially
About realism and camoflaoige is a big part of
Military tactics. Anything that makes super critical targets instantly stand out is cheating

But as far as fanpatch being cheating take a look at the guy who made esoc maps... Already one of the top players but look he isnt and will probably never be #1 even when by that "insider" theory he already should be. Lol
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Btw, why no alt + d in the poll ?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Howdah

Post by Metis »

kaiserklein wrote:Btw, why no alt + d in the poll ?
That''s a glitch exploit. This thread is about modifications.