Weird Otto Dude

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Weird Otto Dude

Post by Papist »

A couple of days ago I played one of the strangest games of my AoE3 career.

So I joined a lobby hosted by a sergeant (I am ms) named HoHiHoHi. He was Ottomans, so I picked Sioux, which is my normal response when I see lamers. He had chosen Texas as the map, but I was not alarmed, as this is fairly typical of Otto lamers - the towers on Texas make it easier to FF without being harassed.

So the game starts normally. I have decent hunt, get a couple gold treasures, and age fast. At around 5 minutes, I notive that HoHiHoHi has still not aged up. Puzzled, I check out his home city, and am suddenly face to face with one of the most bizarre decks I have ever seen. HoHiHoHi has an array of unusual cards, such as 2 tower wagons, 4 tower wagons, 8 cows, and 20 sheep. He also has no age 1 cards.

My br, which are out raiding, go into his base and find that he has built a livestock pen, and is gathering off of cows. Hypothesizing that he is trying to fast revolt, I start to mass up units to hit him when he ages up to 4. I continue raiding.

I am out raiding when all of a sudden, 5 spahi attack my vils. However, I am too slow, and lose 5 before my br get into position and kill all of his spahi. A minute later, I kill 3 spahi that are trying to run in for another raid.

At this point, I decide to kill him in 3, and mass br. I run into his base to find a fort foundation, and knock off half the hp before running out. He ages again, and ships 6 spahi' my 40 br easily kill them. I kill his fort and a shipment of 5 mams and 6 barbary corsairs. HoHiHoHi starts losing all his stuff, and resigns after a shipment of ronin and manchu get kited to death by my br.

After the game, I check the ladders and find out that he has actually been beating 2nd lieutenants with this strat lol.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So has anyone else encountered this guy? What do you remember?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Weird Otto Dude

Post by gibson »

Yea iv played him before. He always revolts after he sends both factories and a mercenary army. Basically the only way it works is if you overcommit under his fort when his cav pop or just play like shit.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Weird Otto Dude

Post by evilcheadar »

Don't call him weird Otto dude, call him pioneering Otto dude.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Weird Otto Dude

Post by Jaeger »

I've played vs a guy on nilla way back and I think he was aging with 4 cows and making a pen and shipping livestock with otto lol
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Weird Otto Dude

Post by purplesquid »

I played vs him as french. Saw his deck and pushed in with 7 cannons 20 halbs and 20 goons soon after he hit 4th age. His strat sucks but could really catch some people off guard. The age 4 merc shipments are actually a pain to deal with. . .
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Weird Otto Dude

Post by yemshi »

I have actually lost to him.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Weird Otto Dude

Post by yurashic »

He is a funny guy who only plays on large Texas as Ottomans and does this dumb build every game - ff, send 5 spahi, age with 3 spahi, send 6 spahi then merc armies.
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Weird Otto Dude

Post by DerMaxinator »

Sounds very gold consuming... Did he send gold or just gather abnormally much?
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Weird Otto Dude

Post by bobabu »

It's good that there are still people like him who try different things and perfect it.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Weird Otto Dude

Post by MCJim »

bobabu wrote:It''s good that there are still people like him who try different things and perfect it.

Ye, I call it the new meta soon.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Weird Otto Dude

Post by Papist »

I think the only way this would work is if someone didn't check his deck and assumed he was playing the way an Ottoman usually plays on Texas (standard mams/vet jans/cannons FF). Since his deck is all livestock, spahi, and mercs, it's not difficult to get a general idea of what he wants to do if you bother to check.

I didn't know he planned to FF towards the end - I just thought he was going to send all his merc armies and spahi and make a death push. I'm glad I was Sioux - br kiting hard countered his strat, and I think Sioux are the only civ with the age 2 potential to take him down. Instead of being forced to age for goons, I simply dumped all my resources into age 2 cav.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.