Mendocino in the fp?

Would you like to have Mendocino added to the fp?

Yes
76%
No
No votes
If it changes
24%

Total votes: 38

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Jaeger »

diarouga wrote:
jerom wrote:Well, the current maps are good but imo we should stay critical: Many have major flaws, and while being better than the RE maps, are far from perfect. I think we shouldnt just settle on the current mappool, but rather try to cycle through maps and find out which are the best/most enjoyable maps that way. So if Mendocino is good, and balanced (I havent played on it yet), then by all means add it.

moving forward it might be interesting to dedicate a panel to maps entirely. It depends on new maps being developed, and I dont know how much effort that is, but it would be very cool to try to improve even further on the maps.
+1
Bengal, cascade and Tibet are terrible. It is meant to be fair but it is not, you can not beat china on tibet, tad civs on cascade and tp civs suck on bengal.
Why is china considered good on tibet? You dont even have a hunt herdable ito TC, cant you force china to only gather on berries until like 10 minutes?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag Hagi
Dragoon

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Hagi »

diarouga wrote:
adv wrote:Maybe a set of new maps for 2016 ?
That would be nice to see something new. For example a map with base somehow naturally protected with resources to favor age4 play, for a change.
Maybe a map made only of small islands, etc.
Im sure most of you guys will be creative.
Dont forget we want competitive maps, creativity isnt reallt welcomed :)
Competitive maps should remain the same (Garja).
A new sets of maps would be great for the big majority of players who are frustrated with RE maps right now because of unbalance and/or boredom.
You can be creative while making the map balanced and fair for most of the civ. Its all about dedication, time and testing.
No Flag Hagi
Dragoon

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Hagi »

jerom wrote:Both are fine really. But it is indeed a lot more interesting to fix the old maps. I want a balanced rockies for example.
Or at least what Jerom said...
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

kingofosmane wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Youre not payig them they can realease the patch whenever the fuck they want
chill i am just jokeing idiot
Osmane calling someone an idiot is a new level of irony..
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by evilcheadar »

bramboy wrote:
kingofosmane wrote:chill i am just jokeing idiot
what a moron
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by KINGofOsmane »

ovi12 wrote:
diarouga wrote:+1
Bengal, cascade and Tibet are terrible. It is meant to be fair but it is not, you can not beat china on tibet, tad civs on cascade and tp civs suck on bengal.
Why is china considered good on tibet? You dont even have a hunt herdable ito TC, cant you force china to only gather on berries until like 10 minutes?
NOT SURE, IF YOU MAKE RETARTED POSTS ALL THE TIME
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by KINGofOsmane »

bramboy wrote:
kingofosmane wrote:chill i am just jokeing idiot
sry star
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by fightinfrenchman »

There should be more maps that are designed specifically for treaty games. Larger land area to accommodate bigger battles, multiple based, etc.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Rikikipu »

papist wrote:I think we should focus on fixing old maps rather than cranking out new ones. Some, like Araucania and Hispanola, have a lot of potential to be good, balanced maps.

I agree with you that some RE maps have a nice potential, just the fact that ressources are terrible.
But creating a new map, rather fixing old ones, is kinda exciting since it brings you new sensations and new strategic decisions.
I would like to quote cramper who says that "A new map is kinda a new game".
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by momuuu »

rikikipu wrote:
papist wrote:I think we should focus on fixing old maps rather than cranking out new ones. Some, like Araucania and Hispanola, have a lot of potential to be good, balanced maps.
I agree with you that some RE maps have a nice potential, just the fact that ressources are terrible.
But creating a new map, rather fixing old ones, is kinda exciting since it brings you new sensations and new strategic decisions.
I would like to quote cramper who says that "A new map is kinda a new game".

yeah making new maps is probably more fun for mapmakers. If you ever feel like you dont have inspiration, you should probably fix some of the cool bit imbalanced maps.
No Flag datmessycat
Crossbow

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by datmessycat »

ovi12 wrote:
diarouga wrote:+1
China has been doing pretty well on Esoc Tibet because the rings make it difficult to be really aggressive against them making it a little bit easier for them to FF (also I dont think that the map have berries). Also the map have livestock and overall maps with livestock are really good for china, they can eat their yaks while looking for a new hunt, to gather from or just to accelerate the ff while they are pressured. I dont know if they are unbeteable tho. Just to add as Ive seen cascade is amazing for india they can just drop the aggro beetwen the native post and control the map.Is a low hunt map too with lots of berries japan can use it without worring of sending the cherry orchards cards for a while. (Im not an expert player justa saying of what ive seen)
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by yurashic »

That would be nice to see something new. For example a map with base somehow naturally protected with resources to favor age4 play, for a change.
I''m sure most of you guys will be creative.

Map for age 4 play where bases are naturally protected is Texas.

Map made only of small islands is Ceylon.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Kaiserklein »

yurashic wrote:
Im sure most of you guys will be creative.

Map for age 4 play where bases are naturally protected is Texas.

They are obviously not naturally protected on Texas. And age 4 age works with some civs (those with a scout who can pick most of the livestock or those who dont need much food) but overall you will run out of food before that.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by yurashic »

kaiserklein wrote:
yurashic wrote:Map for age 4 play where bases are naturally protected is Texas.

They are obviously not naturally protected on Texas. And age 4 age works with some civs (those with a scout who can pick most of the livestock or those who dont need much food) but overall you will run out of food before that.
They are naturally protected with 2 towers, free barracks and the pond in the middle.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Kaiserklein »

yurashic wrote:
kaiserklein wrote:They are obviously not naturally protected on Texas. And age 4 age works with some civs (those with a scout who can pick most of the livestock or those who dont need much food) but overall you will run out of food before that.
They are naturally protected with 2 towers, free barracks and the pond in the middle.
Yea but usually naturally doesnt mean with towers u know
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

You'll need to work more on the resource distribution if you want this map to be fair. After playing it a few times, I realized that this map basically never spawns right

[img]https://i.gyazo.com/17c45dae6e0836e54ea9d2e0a7d022cb.png" style="max-width:100%'" alt=""]

Green: 5.5/6 hunts' 4 mines
Blue: 4.5/5 hunts' 6 mines

I understand that maps cannot be entirely even but in this case the resources (especially the mines) were distributed unfairly. Blue has a mine in the back, while Green has to walk a long distance for his 3rd mine.
Other than that, I like the design of the map. If the resource distribution is resolved, then I believe this map can be added to the FP.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Garja »

btw I think that the trees should avoid the trade route and also those cliffs may look better if irregular in shape
Image Image Image
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Rikikipu »

bramboy wrote:Youll need to work more on the resource distribution if you want this map to be fair. After playing it a few times, I realized that this map basically never spawns right

[img]https://i.gyazo.com/17c45dae6e0836e54ea9d2e0a7d022cb.png[/img]

Green: 5.5/6 hunts' 4 mines
Blue: 4.5/5 hunts' 6 mines

I understand that maps cannot be entirely even but in this case the resources (especially the mines) were distributed unfairly. Blue has a mine in the back, while Green has to walk a long distance for his 3rd mine.
Other than that, I like the design of the map. If the resource distribution is resolved, then I believe this map can be added to the FP.

You are raising good ideas here, so im going to explain my entire point of view.
I dislike maps without any random thing. I like the idea of searching your ressources on the map because they randomly spawn. It makes the game a bit different every game.
So what ? So maybe the map wont be really "fair" every game since someone has : "Green: 5.5/6 hunts" and the other one has : "Blue: 4.5/5 hunts", but i think this is still playable. After all, ive never seen someone said, "rehost plz, i dont have my fifth hunt". Adding a map to the fan patch for QS, doesnt mean adding a map to tourneys, because i agree with you that map for tourneys need to be perfectly fair, which is not the actual case of my map.

However, have you ever tried to do it with some ESOC maps ?

[div align="center"][img]http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/879470ESOCHighplains.jpg[/img]
[/div]For instance, blue has 2 more hunts and +1 gold mine on his side. But the map is still great, and ive never seen someone complaining about it.

So about hunts, i am not going to change anything i think.But you are right about gold mines, i need to fix it a bit (one behind, and one in front of your TC at the begging) and the others on the map.

garja wrote:btw I think that the trees should avoid the trade route and also those cliffs may look better if irregular in shape
Hahah, i see the mapmaker here :D. Actually, i dont get that "avoidTradeRoute" contraints for trees. Its on every map, but i dont understand what is the issue if you have trees close to the trade route. Could you argue a little bit ? Im going to work on the cliff yes, your idea can be nice
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Garja »

I think it's mostly visual. The cart going through trees isn't every realistic. Aside from that also trade routes in general are where fights take place so better have some room.
Image Image Image
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Papist »

garja wrote:I think it''s mostly visual. The cart going through trees isn''t every realistic. Aside from that also trade routes in general are where fights take place so better have some room.

Why is a trade route going through a forest unrealistic? And couldn''t you argue that natural features are part of what makes AoE fights so interesting (looking at you, GP geysers...)?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by momuuu »

Rather than looking at the amount of hunts and mines on each side of the map, I think its more important to pay attention to the first three hunts and mines and the accesability of a few trees within TC range.

To me it feels like the third hunt is a little bit inconsistent on this map still.
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by Einfein »

I'm not familiar with this Mendocino map, which is it? Is it one of the ESOC maps already available? If not what are the key points on it i.e. land/water, low/high hunt etc?
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Mendocino in the fp?

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

It is a normal hunt map, without water. Quite standard, like kamchatka.