Are 14 different civs too many??

Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Re: Are 14 different civs too many??

Post by MCJim »

Do you guys think it's too hard for the average player to be aware of any match up they can get in this game?
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

You guys are acting like a player has to learn how to play a new way in order to be prepared to fight each MU. This isn't true - you can reuse the same style for numerous MU's. More often than not you just use the same 1-2 builds every game (e.g. China, Germany, Aztec, Brit)
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:He only plays one civ which means he'll get rekt in tournaments.

Because tournament rules sux. If you think fp made this game now balanced, would ok let players play the same civ all the time if they want, then.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

I have always thought that 14 civ is too many. I think that all we really need to have a competitive atmosphere is just the nilla civilizations. I really like playing on nilla more because I find that I have to a lot crisper and precise playing the civs, because their features are more basic, and have fewer things to fall back on (shrines and shipment spam specifically). This need for greater skill is something that interests me more than the diverse civ options. However, I also love Napoleonic era for some reason, even though all of their new civs are pretty creative.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

lt colonel on nilla is like major on TAD
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

thebritish wrote:lt colonel on nilla is like major on TAD

No, it's even worse.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

Marco1698 wrote:

No, it's even worse.

lt colonel on nilla is like captain on TAD? :o
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

thebritish wrote:
Marco1698 wrote:

No, it's even worse.

2nd lieut prob
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

britishmusketeer wrote:
thebritish wrote:
Show hidden quotes

2nd lieut prob

and conscript on nilla is what on TAD? Image Image Image
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I think you have the experience to answer to this question on your own
No Flag deuxballesman
Dragoon

Post by deuxballesman »

I went from PR 29 in nilla to PR 24 on Tad (and haven't played for a year or so). Thus no way a colonel is a 2nd lieut or have I just misunderstood the irony?
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

deuxballesman wrote:I went from PR 29 in nilla to PR 24 on Tad (and haven't played for a year or so). Thus no way a colonel is a 2nd lieut or have I just misunderstood the irony?

In the last year the nilla ranks have become more inflated as more and more good players move to TAD. Although yes, a colonel in nilla would likely be better than a 2nd lieut in TAD
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The thing is, more civs means more variety, but also fucks up balance even more. Less civs means better balance, and more capabilities to tweak individual match ups.

Now you'd expect me to say less civs means less variety, but thats not the case imo. You can have fewer but much more unique civs. I always take sc2 as an example, where all three races are 100% unique. Very few people feel like the lack of variety (3 very distinct match ups per race) is a reason to play even more than 1 of the races. In other words, apperantly even one civ can offer plenty of variety.

I think 3 civs is a little bit on the low side of things, and 14 civs is too much. Something like 4-6 very unique civs that function very differently from eachother (so not that they all have a skirmisher, bowunit, pikemanthing, musketeer, cav dude amd ranged cav unit) would, imo, optimize balancability while keeping more variety than we even need.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
look wrote:and kaiserklein nob :)

:O

BUM
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Usually people get good with one civ. There is that next level where you understand the game so well u play more Civs. Also for me I have played so long I went through cycles with each civ. Spain, suiox, Dutch, Iro, France, China, India, Japan have all been OP at different times. Also went through a port phase, Russia phase. Germans have been a thing in tournaments with civ rules so I usually practice them too.

Only Civs I havnt played a lot are Aztecs, ottoman. But that was done over a long time.
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

I think multiple civs add to the diversity and fun of AOE3. This definitely keeps me and others interested in this awesome game!
Bosnia & Herzegovina medinos
Lancer
ESO: AlexBoye,Daddysmurf

Post by medinos »

MCJim wrote:Lately I've been thinking about this game a bit and I came to an interesting point: Does this game have too many civs for competitive play?
If you think about it, it's ridiculous. Take British; during a tourney you will face an opponent, but you don't know what civ he's gonna play. This means you have to prepare for 14 different match ups! And now I'm only talking about British. Take French, and again you have to prepare yourself for 14 different match ups. How much time do you actually have to spend to know what to do in every match up? Isn't this too hard for people overall?
Do you think the game was better if it didn't have 14 different civs? What civ should be "deleted" in your opinion?
Discuss!

I think that is the best thing about aoe 3

I wish for a new aoe game with the style of aoe 3 something remastared with new civs from Europe...
New units mannn