Are vanilla players overrated?

No Flag miloslav
Crossbow

Post by miloslav »

So, are players playing non-expansion game overrated due to lack of players? Yesterday I played 2200 guy and I beat him. One could say that it is luck, accident or something but still, 2200 player losing to barely 1800+? I could understand if I won 1900 but not 2200. Since 2012 I did play like 20 games at max(just came back cuz I saw streams) and even back then I was just random 1800. Hell I am so noob at game that I often have no idea what am I doing. Dude looks legit thou, he did beat some 2100+ guys. I simply do not understand.
http://aoe3.jpcommunity.com/rating2/pla ... anes930920
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

As far as I know there hasn't been any real competition on vanilla for a very long time. This means yes, PRs and ELO ratings will be inflated compared to TAD.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yeah, nilla players suck :p.
They re like 3pr and 2200 elos overrated.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

A lot of people who were traditionally vanilla players moved to TAD (e.g. Umeu, myself, MusketJr, Tibia, Interjection) with the advent of the last PK tournament, then never moved back. I haven't played nilla enough recently to know the current situation, but it's probably safe to say that there has (sadly) been a decline in the level of gameplay there.

It will however always be the case that someone on nilla will tend to start off being several PR lower on TAD than they are on nilla. This was the initial problem many of us nilla players faced- learning new civs, new matchups, different balance, and being unable to spam xbow vs cav and win (usually). :(

The thing is, aoe3 has a lot of weight placed on game knowledge moreso than other rts games, so the jump from nilla->'TAD is pretty big, even if you only vs euro civs (unless you play ottos).
oranges.
Great Britain CuCkO0
Dragoon
ESO: CuCkO0

Post by CuCkO0 »

Nilla has too many maphackers and people that feel the need to oos
KINGofOsmane wrote:If Elo is down what are we even fighting for
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

aizamk wrote:A lot of people who were traditionally vanilla players moved to TAD (e.g. Umeu, myself, MusketJr, Tibia, Interjection) with the advent of the last PK tournament, then never moved back. I haven''t played nilla enough recently to know the current situation, but it''s probably safe to say that there has (sadly) been a decline in the level of gameplay there.

It will however always be the case that someone on nilla will tend to start off being several PR lower on TAD than they are on nilla. This was the initial problem many of us nilla players faced- learning new civs, new matchups, different balance, and being unable to spam xbow vs cav and win (usually). :(

The thing is, aoe3 has a lot of weight placed on game knowledge moreso than other rts games, so the jump from nilla->'TAD is pretty big, even if you only vs euro civs (unless you play ottos).
If a tad player goes on nilla, he ll get 3 pr.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

vanilla historically has meant +6-8 PR atleast. I cant give you an exact number now because overall PR's are lower which might close the gap. At the same time more people have left vanilla for tad that were good. So that gap may be the same or bigger.

Either way I can tell you the skill difference is substantial.
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

I agree, I play with people that all the time that tell me that they were a lt col on treaty or something higher than that and they end up just totally sucking and playing like a 2nd lt or something...
Taunt 3
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Nilla players can't be over-rated since no one rates them to begin with in the first place ?

Barring only one or two exceptions like aelena, I can't think of anyone else I'd rate that doesn't already play TAD.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

wickedcossack wrote:Nilla players can''t be over-rated since no one rates them to begin with in the first place ?

Barring only one or two exceptions like aelena, I can''t think of anyone else I''d rate that doesn''t already play TAD.
I believe OP means in terms of PR/Elo, not anyone''s opinion.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

calmyourtits wrote:As far as I know there hasn''t been any real competition on vanilla for a very long time. This means yes, PRs and ELO ratings will be inflated compared to TAD.
It''s an Elo rating, not an ELO rating. Respect Mr. Elo.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

musketeer925 wrote:
wickedcossack wrote:Nilla players cant be over-rated since no one rates them to begin with in the first place ?

Barring only one or two exceptions like aelena, I cant think of anyone else Id rate that doesnt already play TAD.
I believe OP means in terms of PR/Elo, not anyones opinion.

Ah then ye, pr/elo from nilla to tad doesnt compare.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

musketeer925 wrote:
calmyourtits wrote:As far as I know there hasnt been any real competition on vanilla for a very long time. This means yes, PRs and ELO ratings will be inflated compared to TAD.
Its an Elo rating, not an ELO rating. Respect Mr. Elo.
Whoops

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Light_Orchestra
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

aizamk wrote:A lot of people who were traditionally vanilla players moved to TAD (e.g. Umeu, myself, MusketJr, Tibia, Interjection) with the advent of the last PK tournament, then never moved back. I haven''t played nilla enough recently to know the current situation, but it''s probably safe to say that there has (sadly) been a decline in the level of gameplay there.

[...]
Yes, it''s true. I regularly take a look at the ESO server status ( http://www.agecommunity.com/_server_status_/ ). And one thing what strikes me is that TAD gets more and more population. Half a year ago it was clear Nilla had the most population, no matter what time, but it''s reversed. Nowadays TAD does have the biggest population and that''s new in my eyes.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

HAH nilla players are very overranked/rated, i remember playing vs irishfaithful who was said to be best in nilla at current time. I was terribly drunken and end up losing 4-2. Also i made only uhlans all these games vs his France.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

By definition, the more concepts and trades you grasp, the more skilled you are. Good TAD players have mastered all 6 of the European civs, plus the 6 expansion civs. Therefore, TAD players>nilla players. You cannot claim to be on an equal footing with TAD players when you have only experienced half of the game.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

There are 8 European civs, 14 total.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

musketeer925 wrote:There are 8 European civs, 14 total.
Whoops. My memory served me wrong :P
The function of man is to live, not to exist.