COMPSTOMP

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

COMPSTOMP

Post by pecelot »

Throughout my AoE career I've managed to spend some time battling against the AI, so I thought that I could share my experiences with you guys and give some tips on how to beat an expert CPU with 100% handicap.

First of all, play classic instead of standard. When there's an opportunity, AI always chooses to go for a trade monopoly, which is a pain in the ass when you have to deal with their enormous army in your base at the same time. It's not that they protect the TPs very hard, cause usually you can siege them down pretty quickly (petards recommended as the fastest way), but it's just annoying and if you're not paying attention it can cost you a nice game. I once played with my m8 and we survived for like an hour or so, but then we forgot that the trade monopoly is about to finish and we didn't manage to cancel it in time.

Water maps help a lot. The AI doesn't make a huge navy, sometimes creates a couple of warships, but it's not hard to deal with them if you have some on your own. The thing is, you can use your caravels, galleons and such to protect your base, garrison your vills and flee, snipe the cannons and later or harrass the comp hard from the sea.

Strong walls are a must. They buy you a lot of time, and oftentimes the AI bugs and just attack single segments instead of i.e. your TC. That's one of the easiest way to win, it's obviously not enough, but it's pretty much essential when it comes to facing expert AIs with handicap.

Early rushes are annoying, but there's a lot more to come from the Fortress Age onwards — cannons. You have to be prepared for them, because walls aren't helpful then anymore. Offshore support (literally, but the card itself is pretty handy as well) and culverins can save your life, especially with additional walls.

Sometimes you may be lucky enough to snipe some cannons before they reach your base — the AI doesn't really micro them properly, they won't attack your nearby units outside of your base if they're not attacked themselves. It creates opportunities to destroy them by sneaking your units around them and then quickly attack in melee. Cavalry is of course the best here, but heavy infantry does the job as well.

In terms of unit composition, you can mass one type of unit that's not countered heavily, like musketeers or dragoons. If you go with heavy infantry, don't forget the artillery to fight off the enemy's. Or you can just go for a regular one, but that requires some additional APM and you the AI makes some strange units, like halberdiers, which sometimes may surprise you, so it's not really necessary.

CPU doesn't upgrade most of its units, even in the Imperial Age. That's why you can see at 40 minutes unupgraded crossbowmen, pikemen and such. Sometimes it does, though. I recall examples of imperial artillery (falconets and horse artillery), Iroquois Kanya horsemen and light cannons and — above all — halberdiers.

Therefore, you don't need that strong of an army, and aforementioned musketeer- or dragoon-heavy compositions are really nice since AI's ranged infantry is usually weak and in low numbers. If you still defend, then to the culverins you can add some cannons, which from behind the wall will easily kill enemy's infantry and should eventually get rid of their cavalry, too. Thus, rockets, heavy cannons and bombards are even better.

If you're not confident with your compstomp skills, consider slinging strategies. From what I've written, strong walls and artillery are very important, so if you play in a team, you can support your ally so that he can afford the necessary things, like a wall upgrade, Fortress Age and some cannons. Also, bear in mind some nice civ choices, like Aztecs and Portugese to get OP walls from the start and later on 20 range goons.

Raiding I don't find that much useful to be honest, since expert AI's economy with 100% handicap is outrageously good regardless of what you do. Their gather rates are just ridiculous. That's why I think it's recommended to focus more on their strategic buildings, since they don't rebuild them. Personally, I've never seen the CPU rebuilding a TC until I think last week Hiawatha did so, but only because he had some spare covered wagons. Try then to petard/mortar TCs, factories and forts. Monitors on water maps are essential, too.

Later on, though, when the resources start to dry out, AI's vills will gather in locations far from their bases with no protection whatsoever, so if you scout such a place, you can easily massacre some settlers. But, like I've said, it's not really that significant, but it may always help just a bit at least.

If you manage to make an army and go for a push on the enemy's base, first of all, watch for Artillery Foundry. 9/10 times the AI has 5 imperial horse artillery in queue that will pop out right at the time you're not paying attention. So just in case — from my personal, unlucky experience — destroy it first.

In later stages of the game AI's army usually consists of halberdiers, some unupgraded units, mercenaries and mass artillery.

If you're lucky enough, you may not be spotted by the AI if you wall early enough, and later won't be attacked, maybe even at all. I had some games and can describe the examples: I walled ASAP on Orinoco in 1v1 vs an expert 100% AI, and it didn't attack me at all; my team walled the tight passage on Andes (sometimes you get such a spawn with a river surrounding your base) early, the CPU didn't attack till the 30th minute — the same instance happened on Hispaniola (nomad start), where my team walled around a native TP in the corner and the AI didn't attack till 20th minute or so. If they attack then, however, they come with enourmous armies, so you'd better be prepared just in case.

When you play with someone, a nomad start is also nice, since you can place your TCs close to each other so that it's easier for you to defend. You'll lose some time of course, but the AI is so fast it doesn't really matter :O

In general, the thing about compstomping I think is to survive until a certain point in time, in which you are able to defend quite easily with no serious losses, and then you start to gain the tech advantage over the CPU, with better units, decent eco and micro.

There are some settings that make games like even 2v6 pretty easy, as let's say Caribbeans or Ceylon (the AI never moves to other islands, which kinda sucks). Nomad start, classic and a water map help a lot, also such civ choices like aforementioned Azzy + Ports, but you can always set yourself a challenge to survive on land maps, with no walls etc. It can be fun.

For more advanced AIs, check out this and mods like NE.

Feel free to express your feelings towards compstomping, share your experiences, strategies, tactics and opinions! :pop:
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Re: COMPSTOMP

Post by yurashic »

Very good advices, everything is on point.

I would like to add that a great way of beating AIs is to do a fast industrial, build towers, send fortress, then send advanced fortifications and camp with culverins and cannons. I have beaten 4 AIs (1v4) with this strategy as Spain, the population card is quite handy in comp stomp because AIs kill your houses quite quickly. The best composition to kill AIs is musketeers and cannons, because it abuses the fact that AIs don't micro culverins on your artillery.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Hm, ye, it may be indeed pretty nice, especially with Spain as their shipments come faster.

Two more points:
The toughest AIs I think are the European ones since they mass artillery, have good units and forts. I think Queen Isabella and Maurice of Nassau are the best here. Also Iroquois are pretty strong, as they get an access to light cannons.

If you play on a water map, focus more on your water eco, since it's much more easily defendable than the land one. Remember to put some fishing upgrades in your deck in such a case. If you play on Hispaniola for example, go for a nomad start and place your TC in the corner of the bay, as there are a lot of whales, which you can protect nicely.
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

I have beaten toku expert having 100% handi with India fi and urumis, he just resigned even though he had a lead of like 400 score lol

ai is just like a corp doing res hack
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Thanks for these tips, I didnt know all of them :smile: I would say that Maurice of Nassau is the "best" AI with Nassauers and a lot of cannons with the 150 military pop, then Hiawatha, Queen Elizabeth and Frederick the Great (Frederick makes heavy cannons); and the worst AI are Akbar, Gall, Kangxi, Napoleon and Suleiman imo. Akbar sometimes stays age II all the game (and makes rajputs), Gall rushes very quickly but is rather bad after that with his champions cetan bows; Napoleon and Kangxi do nothing special and are the only ones who send crossbowmen/ckn in age V; Suleiman is very passive.

Napoleon and Queen Elizabeth love training natives
Queen Elizabeth often goes for a native + longbow + mercs + cannon composition

Henry the Navigator defends his base badly even in early game (idk with 100% handicap tho)
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

P i k i l i c wrote:I would say that Maurice of Nassau is the "best" AI with Nassauers and a lot of cannons with the 150 military pop

the ai doesn't actually make 99 vills even if they can but i do think dutch is the best ai since their banks scale with handicap
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Doesn't Suleiman make 99 vills because of the Otto bonus?
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

pecelot wrote:Doesn't Suleiman make 99 vills because of the Otto bonus?

No 100 because of some strange math issues.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Hey, pecelot, you have forgotten to mention zombie hordes of land AI units following certain ships on water maps...that can be very scary, when you think of it....

Also, I have prepared some advantages of player civ choices in comp stomps:

Russia: can rebuild forts with musketeers, constructs defensive building quickly, can raid strategic AI buildings with oprichniks
Aztec: has got both best walls in the game and a good fleet
Dutch: banks are easy to place in confined spaces of the base under siege, the coin gathered helps to build a lot of cannons
British: best fleet in the game, longbows, manors which AI destroys, enabling the player to boom even more
Iroquis: second best walls and flexible light cannons behind them
India: early Agra fort, siege elephants that are more mobile than culverins, elephants have good survivability, brahmins heal
Ottomans: resourceless villager production, abus guns and good artillery in general
Portuguese: team wall HP upgrade, long range dragoons
Spain: faster shipments, TCs with 70 pop space, unction (healing units are recommended to be placed near artillery anyway :) )
France: CDBs are tough, has got good cards and units overall
China: Multiple resource trickles, early flamethrowers, flying crows, if you can defend the Academy, tank-monk(s), good fleet
Japan: strong range units, shrines provide good economy in confined spaces, ninjas can burn down strategic AI buildings

Germany: No musketeers, no dragoons, no great defenses, weak fleet, not even 2 falcs shipment...inferior to every other civ...

...safe for Sioux: no defenses at all, no cannons, no fleet, no sufficient plantation/farm eco...and no idea what to do with them :(
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Yes, good you bring that, sometimes on water maps AI indeed chases one particular ship with its entire army for some reason. If the boat is far enough from the shore, the soldiers will just gather there and wait idly.

About the Germans: they have „TEAM Teutonic Town Center" card in age 1, which is pretty decent, and they are just a regular European civ, with tanky War Wagons, which in itself is nice. But yeah, nothing special to be honest, their water play is weak with no schooners or upgrades.
Sioux can just run kite forever xD
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

Germans also have settler wagons which help to give you a great Eco and dopps which are super great because the ai doesn't micro. Plus you have free uplands which can help if you get surprise rushed

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

AI rush isn't surprising at all I'd say. The free uhlans are nice, but CPU always makes a cheeky army with pikes, halberdiers or Barbary corsairs. The thing is, you can't really gather that much with the settler wagons as AI pressures hard from the beginning, so it's not as useful as it is in regular games I feel.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiAWt5XsNxM[/video]
8:30 — „It's just not doable" — @Interjection
BUSTED!
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

pecelot wrote:AI rush isn't surprising at all I'd say. The free uhlans are nice, but CPU always makes a cheeky army with pikes, halberdiers or Barbary corsairs. The thing is, you can't really gather that much with the settler wagons as AI pressures hard from the beginning, so it's not as useful as it is in regular games I feel.

Ok true, but all melee units will get rekt by dopps and uhlan can clean up those pesky imperial xbows super quick.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

If im not mistaken, suleiman is the biggest nub among all of the AI's. How can a guy be so bad at playing otto...
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

sdsanft wrote:Ok true, but all melee units will get rekt by dopps and uhlan can clean up those pesky imperial xbows super quick.

Sure, but again musketeers do the same, even better because of their range (and still melee resist). And other than this uhlan and doppelsoldner combo, which may be actually not that bad to say the least, there's still not much to offer from Germany in such compstomp games.

@tedere12 , Suleiman has a nice economy with 99 vills (or 100 even as yemshi mentioned) compared to other civs, but it really doesn't matter at all with all the eco boosts that expert AI with 100% handicap receives. Otto is a standard European civs with decent fleet and cannons, which is already challenging. There are worse CPUs I'd say, like Kangxi or Akbar, not to mention Gall :O
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I did japan FI against 3 expert AIs succesfully once without laming walls or other things that mess up the AI. Ashi Flaming arrow kills anything they make.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Expert AIs are somewhat challenging, but the real threat starts with the handicap!
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I found 100% handicap expery Ai much and much easier than 3 AIs, possibly easier than 2 AIs. Once you stabilize and get ~30-50 military you dont die anymore because you almost naturally outmicro them.
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

I can't seem to beat expert computers, but i can handle in game players around lieutenant level easily, what am i doing wrong? I keep trying to rush them and they always outmass me....
Error 404: Signature not found
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Jerom wrote:I found 100% handicap expery Ai much and much easier than 3 AIs, possibly easier than 2 AIs. Once you stabilize and get ~30-50 military you dont die anymore because you almost naturally outmicro them.

Like I mentioned in the OP, the main task is to stabilise. But I find it pretty difficult, because usually expert AIs (like 3 of them or with handicap) outmass me by a lot, especially with these early cannons and a shitload of random units.

@noissance , usually you can't outmass the AI, you can try with HC units and crates, but generally I think the best strategy involves walling and turtling, as I said in the OP.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

A very brief update after a few tries.

I found a very innovative yet effective strategy with the Dutch. A necessary requirement is playing against European bots that rely heavily on gold units — for now I can confirm that they are Queen Isabella and Henry the Navigator for sure, not certain yet about the others. It revolves around them selling lots and lots of food at the market, which in addition to Dutch increased base coin gather rate and the Advanced Market card allows you to buy enormous amounts of food for basically free (prices go down to 25 coin for 100 food). That's only the start.

I managed to hold 1v2 versus 2 expert European bots with 100% handicap on Deccan, not using water, which I find quite an achievement. Like I described in my previous thoughts about compstomping, using docks makes the game too easy in a way that you can't realistically lose. Thus, a challenge in a form of a land map — Deccan seems to be a pretty suitable choice for the reasons widely known: „wallable" with a lot of choke points, additional starting crates and in-base resources, widespread trading posts. Of course it favours AIs a bit, too — they age up a lot faster (as if a regular advancement time was not quick enough... :roll:), sometimes even within the very first minute. Further, the map itself smoothens every build up, so that you can sneak a TP even as Dutch with 400 wood start and maybe even build a market in the first age (some good notes on that in a recent thread: viewtopic.php?p=195217). Additional XP at the beginning is very valuable, as it's needed for 2 Discovery Age shipments — skipping 3 vills is not something you can easily get away with, while the aforementioned Advanced Market card is essential in this build. Moreover, on Deccan there is a gold mine (5000 coin) underneath a TC, which is a very valuable advantage. This particular build order is pretty gold-heavy, so despite the fact that the Dutch usually have a stable coin supply from their banks, they’ll need some more than that.

I was experimenting with it for quite a bit and came to a conclusion that you should just straight up gather the necessary food for an age-up first, which seems like a rather obvious choice. However, previously I used to build a market, research placer mines, gather only coin, wait for trade prices to get low and buy my way to the Colonial Age. The thing with that big trade swing is that there is a particular moment when AIs start exchanging great amounts of resources in a short period of time, which results in prices changing drastically. That time comes around the 3rd/4th minute, quite some time after a usual Dutch age-up. Therefore, there's no point in delaying it.

Once you click up, task every villager but a couple onto coin. The remaining ones should chop wood. In transition your main task is to wall up: ideally about 3 layers of walls between the chokes. From then on, your trade should start kicking in. The main goal is surviving to the Fortress Age with minimal losses, some economy and upgraded walls. I usually build 1 or 2 banks in the Colonial Age; sometimes I go greedier — depending on the state of siege. To do the aforementioned, buy as much food as you can allow yourself to, don’t hesitate to buy wood as it’s still an efficient trade, despite prices not getting so low as food ones (100:100 at the beginning, most of the times independent from AIs’ actions). Ship both 700w and 600w, with which — in addition to 400w from the age-up — you should research Amalgamation, build some banks, put up a house or two and research the Bastion upgrade (stronger walls).

In terms of walling, a certainly important note is to build them loosely (easily accessible) and to prevent your units from clumping in one spot. I think it does not require any further write-up, just bear it in mind at the right time. A possible solution is to abuse pause micro a bit as a justified compensation for AI cheating in many areas as well. ;)

A nice move you can make at the beginning is to spread some of your vills across the map. That way in case of a heavy siege of your base you won’t be forced idle your entire economy. Additionally, you’ll run out of safe resources later — AIs raid very rarely in early stages of the game. If you happen to see their units far from their bases, it’s most likely a treasure crew, as I like to call them. They can attack you for a moment if they go idly, but most of the times they stop after a couple hits, if you don’t engage with them. After that they tend to continue to look for treasures, as far as I can tell. Later on, however, they can come to a side mine with their entire army. Computer personalities seem to be programmed sometimes in a way that they follow and chase one particular unit or a group of units. That was the case described above by my friend Imperial Noob, who talked about zombie hordes running after a certain warship on Hispaniola. Such sneaky vills often pay off in time, so you can risk losing some of them and at the same time buy some time by baiting the enemy army away from your main town.

If you feel like to, try sending Minutemen to try to prevent opponents’ early sieging attempts. You may succeed in picking off some infantry units, but most likely will not be able to deny the whole aggression of course, as enemy forces almost always consist of artillery, but you can certainly delay the downfall of your fortifications. It is true, however, that for the most part you’ll stay vulnerable and defenceless, until reaching the Fortress Age. Your only real weapon is walling.

If you manage to hold to the third age, which you should, using my excellent tips, think of your army composition. I can tell you from experience that artillery is key — interestingly enough, it’s a rule often followed by your enemy, too :hmm: First off, you need to deal with cannons, as they have the most DPS, primarily against walls, but actually against everything. Culverins are a clear answer to that. Your first shipment in Fortress should then be either 1000w, which is a bit greedier option, but allows you to build an artillery foundry smoothly along with some houses or even banks, or 1000c for more cannons of your own (in which case you can gather the wood yourself or buy it on the market). To deal with other types of troops, you need a unit that deals good damage regardless of the kind of units it faces, as the AIs will bring underneath your walls a wide variety of soldiers, from unupgraded Colonial Crossbowmen through Imperial Hussars to L’il Bombards. Therefore, artillery is heavily recommended, along with range infantry, ideally musketeers, who the almighty Dutchies lack, unfortunately

But, here comes the money! (Here we go, money comes) Here comes the money,
money money money money money dollar dollar, uh uh, dollar dollar

Lay down a saloon and train either Marathan Dacoits or Thuggees. They don’t cost much, especially considering your massive gold supply, and they excel at dealing good range damage. Their somewhat awkward animation doesn’t come into play, as you don’t kite against AIs in the walls most of the times. You can also train them in the Colonial Age if you find it necessary. Your main threat, though, is going to be housing space — also literally, since your base is going to be rather cramped. Nevertheless, I consider mercenaries to be the best bet in such extreme circumstances — especially that you can be lucky enough to get decent equivalents for Marathans. Think of Highlanders, Fusiliers, possibly Jégers, also Manchus, Black Riders and such.

After that, pick off enemy artillery one-by-one and slowly but surely take down their remaining forces. You should stabilise a bit, but be aware of another upcoming waves of the enemy. Mass more cannons, up to about 6 of each kind (Culverins are of the biggest priority — like I mentioned before, opponents’ artillery is the most dangerous weapon they can bring), along with mercenary-type units. If necessary, feel free to send 7 Black Riders or 9 Ruyters when Isabella or Henry reach a close neighbourhood of your TC.

A very niche unit you will certainly find useful in such irregular circumstances are priests. Along with „healing” the walls, when the dust of the battle settles down, you can also take care of your wounded soldiers and damaged cannons. It’s not an expensive undertaking, I would definitely say it’s worth it.

Some time ago I used to think that just then I should achieve my main goal — stabilisation. But heck, how wrong I was! After a couple of skirmishes you’ll quickly notice that your army is drastically inferior to the enemy one. No wonder — you’ll face imperial units with your veteran (if even, considering possible heavy mercenaries usage). What you should really focus on is an advancement to the Industrial Age. Your current Age 3 army should serve as an ad hoc response to large hordes of the invaders, holding for as long as possible, since your walling capabilities will not be enough forevermore.

There is quite a number of very pleasant advantages you receive upon aging up to the fourth age. You get access to several factors vastly improving your overall state: Factories, a large boost to your economy; the Tulip Speculation 15% bonus to banks’ gather rate; Heavy Cannons, mainly trainable, not worth shipping, though; Stadhouders, very valuable troops, like said above; guard upgrades to artillery, especially Culverins, which from then onwards need only 2 shots to destroy an imperial cannon of the AI; explorer’s Eye of the Assassin ability, allowing you to get rid of tanky cavalry without much effort. There are many other obvious factors, from which you certainly benefit — especially because of a relatively cheap cost of the advancement: after settling in the Fortress Age, you should have a nice coin economy already set up and not have used much food (almost exclusively for age-ups and banks), so the trade rate at the market should still be perfectly acceptable to continue making good deals (unlike Crooked Hillary
 :? :? :?). In conclusion — if you can afford to age up, which again you should, do it as soon as possible!

Right there at the top, in the Industrial Age, focus on Heavy Cannons production, since they’re the best units against such a playstyle of computers with their incredibly high base damage. Send Stadhouders and camp, booming behind, and above all, stabilise, try to minimise the losses with each of the next skirmishes.

Side note: a key factor for surviving is to constantly repair damaged walls. Sometimes you may not notice that and think you’re perfectly safe behind a couple of layers, but it might as well just be an illusion of your apparent power — therefore, make sure to check HP bars of your walls (hold the Alt key). Here again pause micro may come handy, but it’s really up to you and your APM :) Also, don’t forget to map the „Toggle Auto Repair” hotkey!

In terms of resource distribution, you’ll certainly need lots of wood stockpiled for all the aforementioned expenses. Coming from a relatively OK spot, the wood trade price will quickly climb to 140 or even 150 coin for 100 wood, which with each consecutive exchange becomes undoubtedly less and less efficient. Then, consider switching your vills to wood, having researched all the wood upgrades at the Market, to then sell it back for gold. Trees will become more easily accessible in later stages of the game, certainly more than coin mines, which should make the transition smoother.

After that, congratulations! You’re on your best way to achieve what seemed impossible just several minutes ago! Once you stabilise, it’s basically GG, commonly speaking. You should not under any circumstances be defeated from then on, as even in case of heavy military losses your economy will be good enough to quickly reinforce remaining troops on the battlefield.

Beating the AI from there appears to be a lot easier than it actually can be — you will have to be cautious and aware of some cheeky shenanigans. As you probably have already noticed, computer personalities make irregular or even avant-garde compositions, consisting of — for instance — mass Horse Artillery with 20—25 Imperial Hussars. Although behind a couple of layers of safe walls in may seem trivial, in an open field it becomes a real threat and a pain in the ass, to be quite frank. I was caught off guard by such compositions plenty of times — it was honestly very irritating. Moreover, be constantly aware of possible flanking from the enemy, as they may not focus on your main army coming through — let’s say — the middle of the map (on Deccan one of AIs’ favourite routes, apart from smashing it through the middle, are the tight passages between the centre plateau and the river/land TP route). Either quickly turn up at their back to deal with the cannons or leave some strong defences in your base to prevent any unexpected miseries from happening!

Usually I’d call it the time to bring your real forces into play. Transition to heavy heavy cavalry production — mass Guard, or ideally Imperial Hussars and smash everything! Your already good economy and a lot better micro will allow you to outplay your AI opponents. If they prepare some heavy infantry units, you can try to pick them off with either your ranged infantry or artillery. A viable option is to mirror their composition — for instance, when they go for L’il Bombards and Imperial Hussars, do the same and simply outmicro them, which isn’t that tough, you have to admit!

Don’t forget necessary compstomp tricks! When trying to defeat the CPUs, focus on their main buildings, like Town Centres, as they will not rebuild them (unless they sent wagons and have not used them yet). Also, look for unprotected groups of villagers gathering far out on the field — oftentimes you can catch them all nicely without any losses at all.

In terms of the patches, I played almost all of my compstomps related to that strategy on RE. You can pick EP — as I did in the game attached below — as for numerous Dutch buffs you only risk the unupgraded walls HP nerf (1500 instead of regular 3000). Perhaps you could also try the Treaty Patch, as this particular civilisation seems to receive a lot of little tweaks improving their overall performance, I’m not sure, however, how it is generally suited for the gameplay without the treaty time itself. For one, I haven’t checked it — you, however, can do it and later share your experiences!

A summarised and recommended, although not obligatory, yet very helpful card order, along with some useful and brief notes:

Code: Select all

3v -> adv. market -> 700w -> 600w -> 1000w
TP at the start
age to II ASAP, build 1—2 banks, upgrade walls, advance to III
culvs > falcs

Suggested deck:

Very unfortunately, I didn’t manage to record my best attempt, but I’ll share with you some screenshots of a benchmark well-built base along with periodically saved games throughout the entire journey. They don't show the entire process, but cover up a lot of static things.

mwahahahaha, finally

Recorded games are from EP 2.0.0.4.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rxhnudfwmw43 ... u2cYa?dl=0

Let me know what you think of it and feel free to share your thoughts on that down below! Any feedback will be much appreciated! :)
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by noissance »

The best strategy vs computers is to build pillar segments across the map to distract them, then boom heavily.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Not really, I wouldn't say so! Eventually, they'll come to your base and you're gonna be screwed :!:
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by noissance »

That's the thing though, keep them distracted with sieging random pillars and boom. After u hit industrial you automatically win (unless you send crossbows vs falconets or something...)
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Hell of a post bro @pecelot :smile: