What do you dislike about AoE3?

No Flag cowhax
Skirmisher

Post by cowhax »

It's time for some honesty. Even if you think AoE3 is a good/great game, all games have their flaws. And I think AoE3 has many flaws worth listing, otherwise it'd still be played by a good percentage of gamers despite it's age. So rather than me list out what all I dislike about the game, I'll mention just a couple things and then let other folks take over, and then chime in again at another time.

I dislike that you rarely see people make churches regardless of the civilization, and that unique church improvements require a card (surgeons kind of makes sense).

I also dislike that most unique improvements for a civilization requires a card shipment, rather than be a building to grant upgrades for a certain cost. This makes a lot of civs have matching shipment orders (as in, not bothering with most upgrade cards) and does nothing to help one civilization feel unique from another.

Lastly I want to say I dislike how trading routes run through your base on some maps so you don't have the option to really wall up well, or at least it always grants the opposing player some free passage into your base.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Balance, water design, lack of support from MS and the fact that not everyone in the world is playing.
Other than that, great game, 9.5/10
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

picking deck bug. (Where you select a deck then go back to send shipment and you have to select your deck again.) Happens sometimes and is really annoying when it happens and sometimes happens twice or 3 times in a row, and can result in sending your age 1 shipment a little later if you don't prepare yourself for the bug.

Attack Move bug. (if you move to fast the attack move hotkey doesnt work and your units just walk into their army. Probably happens about half the time I press attack move and can drastically change a fight, yeah prob most hated thing for me.)

those just are just 2, I could add other things that annoy me but I'll leave it at that.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

No support for basic things like an ally system.
No Flag matuiss2
Musketeer

Post by matuiss2 »

The map balance. Civ balance is aceptable(fixable too, where s that fan patch?) since there is so many different ones....map is a little harder.

Also i hate how walls cost so little they should cost 15 w, all they do is take out the fun of the game with no real risk.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Vills are too valuable early on, so losing a couple of them lot of times means gg already. In general not much room for comebacks like in other games.
Image Image Image
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

giveuanxiety wrote:picking deck bug. (Where you select a deck then go back to send shipment and you have to select your deck again.) Happens sometimes and is really annoying when it happens and sometimes happens twice or 3 times in a row, and can result in sending your age 1 shipment a little later if you don''t prepare yourself for the bug.
This has never ever happened to me =S Are you sure you''re hitting confirm when you select a deck?
No Flag nazz121
Musketeer

Post by nazz121 »

I absolutely hate how u can't wall over trading posts, ruins walls for me... )'
Another thing i hate is how when placing a building next to something like a gold mine, it only snaps to the 4sides, i'd really love it would snap to the corners also. (don't know if anyone knows what i mean :/).
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

i do dislike walls & gates.. :D it'd be soo much fun the gates opened & the enemy could walk it... :D aoe2 style! saves a lot of time ')

the lack of monks capability to "convert" units like in AOE & AOE2
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

divinemoon wrote:the lack of monks capability to "convert" units like in AOE &' AOE2
I miss that too :lol:
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

- map balance
-iro Otto
-Kingreglin
- people who don't like water games :p
-a moove bug is also terrible.
Advanced Player
Donator 02

Post by giveuanxiety »

Ya I'm sure MItoe. next stream I have I'll show you. I'm surprised you havent seen it on my stream yet. Happens quite often and I usually rage and make a comment when it does happen.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

Advanced Player
Donator 02

Post by giveuanxiety »

ohh and Neuron speaking of the LOL indicator. Would it be possible to make a mod where you can set a hotkey to use the ping? and then also add another ping with a different sound to signal to retreat. (exactly like they have in LOL) that would be a really nice add for team games especially if the players aren't on skype together while playing.

No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

I dislike whiners
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

giveuanxiety wrote:Ya I''m sure MItoe. next stream I have I''ll show you. I''m surprised you havent seen it on my stream yet. Happens quite often and I usually rage and make a comment when it does happen.
It happens to me in 1/4 of my games.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

never happened to me neither
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

1) backherding
2) vils garrisoning in outposts, villages and town centers automatically after building them and not showing in idle villagers icon
3) cannons not damaging your own units like that in aoe2
4) no monks like aoe2 (in order to avoid monk spam in the late game, as gold is too easy to get in aoe3 there should be some research which prevents other player from making monks :v )
5) attack move bug for ranged units
6) unbalaced great plains -_-
7) bow riders being OP and having no negative multipliers against vils like dragoons or other ranged cav
8) British manor cost
9) BS_OP beating _H2O
No Flag StarFox_
Musketeer

Post by StarFox_ »

i hate getting dropped, freeze hacked, and oos hacked.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

starfox wrote:i hate getting dropped, freeze hacked, and oos hacked.
Really?! Surprising^^
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

diarouga wrote:- map balance
-iro Otto
-Kingreglin
- people who don''t like water games :p

hahaha Kingreglin, indeed. +1
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

neuron wrote:- So much was invested in graphics, but when you go to the edge of the map you see a black hole area in which the trade route travois disappears? :eyecrazy: . There should be some horizon line with some sky or some trick like that. Or you shouldn''t be able to go to the edge of map completely.

Yes and that also applies for the upgraded trade route. If the train is on the edge of the map, it dissapears one by one. Very unrealistic.

I also dislike the fact that you have to add units every time to the same control group. It would be much easier if a new trained unit automaticly joined a chosen control group. Saves a lot of time.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

princeofkabul wrote:
diarouga wrote:- map balance
-iro Otto
-Kingreglin
- people who dont like water games :p
hahaha Kingreglin, indeed. +1
He dropped me 5 times
Even with 100 reports, none of his accounts were banned and he was accepted in the last tournament...
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

diarouga wrote:
princeofkabul wrote: hahaha Kingreglin, indeed. +1
He dropped me 5 times?
Even with 100 reports, none of his accounts were banned and he was accepted in the last tournament...

Yeah im the victim also. He got drop which take elo and PR both lols + it shows him as the winner on elo.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

princeofkabul wrote:
diarouga wrote:He dropped me 5 times
Yeah im the victim also. He got drop which take elo and PR both lols + it shows him as the winner on elo.
Every pr30+ have been dropped by him.