Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

What do you dislike about AoE3?

Post by yemshi »

1) You should be able to walk through opened gates
2)Units shouldn't be able to shoot through walls
3) You should be able to build walls over trade routes
4) Trading stuff (Stage coach, etc) should be able to demage your units if you are standing on their way
5)More colors
6) More teams
7) More players
8)Infinite units in control groups
9) Lack of Imperial Age shipments
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Nice thread, I've just noticed it. I agree with some of your earlier thoughts about diplomacy from AoE 2 - it should be included in AoE 3. What drives me mad sometimes is that units can't belong to more than one group. I would like to have for example group 1 for my RI, group 2 for my HI and group 3 for all infantry except from native scouts and stuff. I know there is a hotkey which selects every infantry unit, but as I said sometimes you find out that your native scout in stealth suddenly appears near your muskets to join the charge. What I dislike more is that a group can contain only 50 units which creates some akward situations when you want to move your 100 pop army somewhere else.
I would also like to see a possibility to change map size that is not related to the number of players. It is shame as well is that some original maps are nice but simply impossible to play on, such as Sonora when most likely you won't find any hunts near your base (in starting LOS of your TC), AI is so dumb that it cannot even build a base on the main island on Ceylon.
There is an Improvement Mod which fixes most of the bugs, flaws and adds realism, but it changes a lot more unfortunately and there's usually no way to play on this online because of OOS.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

Trolls and maintenance.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

They also should add a loop for making vills. Also an Observer mode would be nice.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

garja wrote:Vills are too valuable early on, so losing a couple of them lot of times means gg already. In general not much room for comebacks like in other games.
This is true. On the other hand, the potential for tactical military comebacks is one of the greatest of any RTS.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

chronique wrote:india not op? :D skirm goon age 2, its a fail of creator.

I think unfair map is more important that unbalence becouse unbalence is partly due to unfair map.

Water games are really boring when you play against jap/brit. Water is the reason of why i have stopped (and f**** hunt)

Having a Skirmisher-type unit and a Dragoon-type unit in the Colonial Age does not automatically mean a civilization is overpowered or that it''s flawed design. It does constitute and advantage over those civilizations with worse Colonial-Age unit compositions, however, and Indians certainly are more or less overpowered.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

Eso isn't working at the moment, it's what i dislike lol
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

diarouga wrote:
bugattivitesse wrote:The game needs more balance. Iro and Ottos and Japs.
japs arent op
They are op. Not as much as iro and otto of course, but after like 8 minutes they become really powerful, you gather resources you need from shrines and jap units are OP
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Let's see now...

1. Lack of developer support (poor connectivity of ESO, no patching in terms of balance (including maps), design and viability, no community moderation, etc)
2. Terrible performance optimization (graphics in particular), indirectly causing extensive lag' particularly with SoapMcJizz-rag and poor people with wooden bawksis.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

I'm sorrey for my wooden bawski.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
No Flag mongobillione
Dragoon
Donator 02

Post by mongobillione »

servers and stuff
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

aladdin wrote:great post, here are some things bothering me:
i am new to this game so I will not talk about balance but I will talk about some implementation issues that makes the game a bit frustrating to play.

1- unit health bars are shown in black and blue it is impossible to see which units are low health at first glance. they could fix this by using a green bar that would turn yellow and red as unit goes low health.

2- no hotkey to set the non-military and military rally point of TC quickly, it is frustrating to have to click the putton on screen and have to set the rally point. simply using the right mouse key will fail when you realize your Ulan shipment is hanging out with the villagers in the back of your base.

3- inability to rally your production to military units on the map. this makes it incredibly difficult to parade push because you need to CONSTANTLY change the rally point of all your production buildings. only to have random batches of units idling, and no the find idle unit button is not an efficient way to solve this problem.

4- it would be usful if a dotted line on the map would show you the path from your production building to the rally point. this would be useful to see your reinforcement line and adjust the rally points accordingly if needed.

5- only select maximum of 50 units in every selection. makes it painful and frustrating to manouver your whole army around when you are on larger supplies. you could try putting them on different selection groups but then because
you lose some units and new units come in, you are wasting so much APM trying to just move the damn army rather than setting some useful selection groups to micro better.

6- tying in with the last point, no hotkey available to select all military units. this would be useful if you need to muster all your forces that you may have forgotten about.

7- no hotkey to quickly unload all units in cargo ship

and so many more playability issues that make the gameplay a frustrating experience. however i must say it is a good game
6.) There is a hotkey for this. I have the german version so I don''t know the exact name of it but it''s in the fourth part of the hotkey menu which is about selecting/showing units and it should say select/show all military units
there also is the crossed swords net to the minimap clicking the symbol and then clicking anywhere on the minimap will move all your military units to that point but they will walk as fast as the slowest selected unit so try to not use that
No Flag CruOzer
Musketeer

Post by CruOzer »

aladdin wrote:2- no hotkey to set the non-military and military rally point of TC quickly, it is frustrating to have to click the putton on screen and have to set the rally point. simply using the right mouse key will fail when you realize your Ulan shipment is hanging out with the villagers in the back of your base.
If you go to Options->' Game Options ->' Economy Gather-Point Only on Right-click. Change this to Only Town Centers. You will set the non-military waypoint with Right-Click and with pressing ''m'' and Left-Click you can set the military one.

I hate the hotkey system. I want a grid like in SC2. But so many units and some buildings have a different spot at the UI cause of the differences between the civs. This really sucks.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

zoom wrote:
garja wrote:Vills are too valuable early on, so losing a couple of them lot of times means gg already. In general not much room for comebacks like in other games.
This is true. On the other hand, the potential for tactical military comebacks is one of the greatest of any RTS.
Such as? urumi popping out of agra when youre circle sieging it? I wouldnt call it a comeback.
Image Image Image
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Such as unit counters having a highly significant effect in this game, meaning that tactical military victories can easily outweigh a gatherer deficit.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

zoom wrote:Such as unit counters having a highly significant effect in this game, meaning that tactical military victories can easily outweigh a gatherer deficit.
Problem is exactly that they don''t outweigh it.
Image Image Image
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

The balance and no chance of the game being patched is huge.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

garja wrote:
zoom wrote:Such as unit counters having a highly significant effect in this game, meaning that tactical military victories can easily outweigh a gatherer deficit.
Problem is exactly that they dont outweigh it.
As a blanket statement that is just not true at all' sometimes they do, and sometimes they dont. The ability of taking an advantageous engagement to the point that it wins you the game is very much so real in AoE3 ?? even when playing at a gathererer deficit. The greater the gatherer deficit, however, the more unlikely it is to be the case, of course...
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Id say the comeback potential is excellent. It is very much possible to consistently outmicro your opponent and the defender's advantage is sufficiently big enough to give you the opportunity to outmicro your opponent.

Of course some deficits are so large that you cant come back from them.
No Flag Aladdin
Crossbow

Post by Aladdin »

aligator92 wrote:
aladdin wrote:...
6- tying in with the last point, no hotkey available to select all military units. this would be useful if you need to muster all your forces that you may have forgotten about.

6.) There is a hotkey for this. I have the german version so I dont know the exact name of it but its in the fourth part of the hotkey menu which is about selecting/showing units and it should say select/show all military units
there also is the crossed swords net to the minimap clicking the symbol and then clicking anywhere on the minimap will move all your military units to that point but they will walk as fast as the slowest selected unit so try to not use that

wow thanks that is really helpful I am going to see if I can find it.
No Flag Aladdin
Crossbow

Post by Aladdin »

cruozer wrote:
aladdin wrote:2- no hotkey to set the non-military and military rally point of TC quickly, it is frustrating to have to click the putton on screen and have to set the rally point. simply using the right mouse key will fail when you realize your Ulan shipment is hanging out with the villagers in the back of your base.
If you go to Options->' Game Options ->' Economy Gather-Point Only on Right-click. Change this to Only Town Centers. You will set the non-military waypoint with Right-Click and with pressing m and Left-Click you can set the military one.

I hate the hotkey system. I want a grid like in SC2. But so many units and some buildings have a different spot at the UI cause of the differences between the civs. This really sucks.
Thank you for the tip I wish the game had a way of telling me about the m hotkey but I didnt see it in the menu.

if you are used to grid in SC2, you can change your settings for hotkey. there is even a button that allows conflicts between hotkeys if you wanna set up the same for different civs.
for example you can put both Hussar and Ulan on W and so on.
No Flag Aladdin
Crossbow

Post by Aladdin »

Actually a lot of my hotkey related criticism refer to vanilla version. it seems that Asian Dynasties has hotkeys for "find all military", "set military gather point" hotkeys
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

zoom wrote:
garja wrote:Problem is exactly that they dont outweigh it.
As a blanket statement that is just not true at all' sometimes they do, and sometimes they dont. The ability of taking an advantageous engagement to the point that it wins you the game is very much so real in AoE3 ?? even when playing at a gathererer deficit. The greater the gatherer deficit, however, the more unlikely it is to be the case, of course...

jerom wrote:Id say the comeback potential is excellent. It is very much possible to consistently outmicro your opponent and the defenders advantage is sufficiently big enough to give you the opportunity to outmicro your opponent.

Compared to other games, where villagers are cheaper, resource accessibility is pretty much granted for a while and there is in general more room to leverage on player skills, this game has close to zero possibility of comeback after you have been damaged economically early in the game.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

garja wrote:
zoom wrote:As a blanket statement that is just not true at all' sometimes they do, and sometimes they dont. The ability of taking an advantageous engagement to the point that it wins you the game is very much so real in AoE3 ?? even when playing at a gathererer deficit. The greater the gatherer deficit, however, the more unlikely it is to be the case, of course...
jerom wrote:Id say the comeback potential is excellent. It is very much possible to consistently outmicro your opponent and the defenders advantage is sufficiently big enough to give you the opportunity to outmicro your opponent.

Compared to other games, where villagers are cheaper, resource accessibility is pretty much granted for a while and there is in general more room to leverage on player skills, this game has close to zero possibility of comeback after you have been damaged economically early in the game.

there is so much potential for comebacks. You can get a big raid off, win a fight, have your opponent overcommit, or gradually get some vill kills and free army kills because of superior micro.

Yes if you lose your entire army for almost nothing in fortress you are probably dead, but thats the same in just about any strategy game I have played.

With the insane defenders advantage, the possibility of getting huge raids throughout the game and the ability to get cost effectiveness even if you are behind in army allows for quite a lot of comeback potential. Especially if you lost a few vills early on.
No Flag frankfrat
Crossbow

Post by frankfrat »

I dislike the fact every 3 days eso goes down.