My hotkey setup (totally "inspired" by MrMilo)

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: My hotkey setup (totally "inspired" by MrMilo)

Post by pecelot »

illusioNtEk wrote:Do any of you guys have a gaming mouse with lots of buttons on it?

@sircallen teach us :santa:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Kindly!

I have a mouse with 12 side buttons. I use 9 of them consistently. When I bought it, I was pr 27, roughly a year ago. Now I'm pr 28. I'd highly recommend. 27/28. (did reach pr 30 once, nvr forget)

Nah but seriously, is it necessary? No. Can it help? Totally. I'm not great on the keyboard, and the side buttons let me do things slightly easier. Considering how much I play age of empires and video games in general on the computer, I consider it a fine purchase. It also brings a lot of aesthetic value to my desk. A few endorphins are released every time I look at it.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

:hmm: I think it could backfire in the case of RTS actually, since mouse precision and speed is so important you don't want to be worrying about pressing buttons on there too. It would only be a problem in very specific and probably rare situations depending on your hotkey setup, but still.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

ye im pretty bad
Mali SenorCallen
Skirmisher

Post by SenorCallen »

deleted_user wrote:ye im pretty bad

Very True
"I suck"

-Mitoe

"Ugh I suck"

-Mitoe
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Yes.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Garja wrote:Actually I also find that more convenient since I use ctrl groups to find buildings.

Shit such an ez fix
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Garja wrote:I use same key for "build market" and "find market". This way I never make 2 markets :chinese:

Meant to quote this not what I quoted :roll:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Goodspeed wrote::hmm: I think it could backfire in the case of RTS actually, since mouse precision and speed is so important you don't want to be worrying about pressing buttons on there too. It would only be a problem in very specific and probably rare situations depending on your hotkey setup, but still.

Mouse precision isn't actually important at all, only when microing. It's true I have mele, cover mode, ranged mode (and alt, barracks, stables, foundries, explorer) mapped to my mouse, but again, I'm using attack move 90% of the time anyways, mouse precision is such a non-concern. Nearly all my meaningful actions are mapped to some button or another. As long as I can click hunts and click on dops and click resign I'm fine. I can move my mouse and use the buttons at the time, they aren't dichotomous actions. The moments of needing to press a button on my mouse and needing the most mouse precision are so rare they fall into acceptable, gaussian limits. There's a reason pros use 2250+ DPI for RTS and like 800 DPI for FPS (where precision actually matters).
Brazil Majora_
Musketeer
ESO: Majora_

Post by Majora_ »

Garja wrote:I use same key for "build market" and "find market". This way I never make 2 markets :chinese:

i will do the same now haha
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:
Goodspeed wrote::hmm: I think it could backfire in the case of RTS actually, since mouse precision and speed is so important you don't want to be worrying about pressing buttons on there too. It would only be a problem in very specific and probably rare situations depending on your hotkey setup, but still.

Mouse precision isn't actually important at all, only when microing. It's true I have mele, cover mode, ranged mode (and alt, barracks, stables, foundries, explorer) mapped to my mouse, but again, I'm using attack move 90% of the time anyways, mouse precision is such a non-concern. Nearly all my meaningful actions are mapped to some button or another. As long as I can click hunts and click on dops and click resign I'm fine. I can move my mouse and use the buttons at the time, they aren't dichotomous actions. The moments of needing to press a button on my mouse and needing the most mouse precision are so rare they fall into acceptable, gaussian limits. There's a reason pros use 2250+ DPI for RTS and like 800 DPI for FPS (where precision actually matters).
If you are precise with your mouse you have time for more actions, more time to think, etcetera. This adds up, and leads to better execution overall. And yeah it can be especially important when microing, which in this game can often be the difference between a win and a loss. You may argue speed is "more important" but speed is not even a thing, really. Everyone can spastically move a mouse from one side to another. What's important is that you can move it to where you want it as quickly as possible. In other words it comes down to precision.
FPS pros use lower DPI because they typically don't have to move their mouse all over the screen in short periods of time, and lower DPI is better for precision. RTS players use high DPI not because precision is unimportant, they still want to be precise but it's a compromise: they use high DPI because they need the cursor to travel longer distances relative to FPS.

That said I don't think having hotkeys on your mouse is going to frequently lose you games, if ever. It just seems like the wrong place to put hotkeys.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I tried to use the "Toggle Stealth" hotkey yesterday but it worked neither with spies nor with forest prowlers. Is that hotkey completely bugged? Do I have to map it manually as with Agra-hotkeys?
Pay more attention to detail.
Great Britain _NT_sven
Dragoon
Donator 06
Clan: NTDE

Post by _NT_sven »

My suggestion is that you should have a hotkey for "finding the same type of units", that way you can group your reinforcement without even looking back in you base, which is extremely useful when you are fighting a decisive battle.
Plum blossoms fall below the steps like whirling snow;
They cover me still though brushed off a while ago.

-Tune: "Pure Serene Music", Li Yu (937-978 AD), the Last Lord of Southern Tang Dynasty
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

That is what I do, although I am not sure if it is ideal. If you do not pay attention the reinforcements might interfere with your currently fighting troops when joining the formation. You have to be on point and start drag-boxing when they get close enough. Perhaps you should use that hotkey but not add them to the control group until they have arrived.
Pay more attention to detail.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

deleted_user wrote:

I use 1700 dpi at 1600x900. Accuracy is by far the most important thing in AOE3 mechanically. Better accuracy translates in higher apm and less fuck ups in general. Even going up from like 90% to 93%+ is a great improvement and makes a big difference.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yea honestly a ton of people spam apm but aren't accurate, it's pretty useless, i'd rather have accuracy
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag britrouga
Musketeer

Post by britrouga »

Yea, accuracy is the most important thing in aoe3, and in RTS in general. You want to be fast on your keyboard in order to manage your eco(produce units, build houses etc), and accurate with your mouse, because clicking super fast is counter productive if you missclick half of the time.
Most pro gamers have between 600 and 1600 dpi. I got my best scores at aimbooster with 700 dpi.
Brazil Majora_
Musketeer
ESO: Majora_

Post by Majora_ »

_NT_sven wrote:My suggestion is that you should have a hotkey for "finding the same type of units", that way you can group your reinforcement without even looking back in you base, which is extremely useful when you are fighting a decisive battle.

How can i do it?
Great Britain _NT_sven
Dragoon
Donator 06
Clan: NTDE

Post by _NT_sven »

Majora_ wrote:
_NT_sven wrote:My suggestion is that you should have a hotkey for "finding the same type of units", that way you can group your reinforcement without even looking back in you base, which is extremely useful when you are fighting a decisive battle.

How can i do it?

In hotkey settings there is a section called "find units" I think.
Plum blossoms fall below the steps like whirling snow;
They cover me still though brushed off a while ago.

-Tune: "Pure Serene Music", Li Yu (937-978 AD), the Last Lord of Southern Tang Dynasty
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

When it comes to ctrl groups, u wanna put 5-9 on like qwert. That way u have easier access to them (unless u put ur right hand on numpad). I usually put my Brahman elephants, herding/forward vills and tc on those keys.

The advantage to putting a tc on ctrl group vs just the find building hotkey is that if u single tap u don't zone over to the tc view while if u double tap u can look at the tc should u wish to
No Flag britrouga
Musketeer

Post by britrouga »

rsy wrote:When it comes to ctrl groups, u wanna put 5-9 on like qwert. That way u have easier access to them (unless u put ur right hand on numpad). I usually put my Brahman elephants, herding/forward vills and tc on those keys.

The advantage to putting a tc on ctrl group vs just the find building hotkey is that if u single tap u don't zone over to the tc view while if u double tap u can look at the tc should u wish to

Not really because you want to use qwert for other things :P
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:

Most fps pros use 400 actually ( at least in CS, which if we're being real is the only esport fps thats relevant.)
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

britrouga wrote:
rsy wrote:When it comes to ctrl groups, u wanna put 5-9 on like qwert. That way u have easier access to them (unless u put ur right hand on numpad). I usually put my Brahman elephants, herding/forward vills and tc on those keys.

What do u use them for bud
No Flag Pride
Crossbow
ESO: i_have_pride

Post by Pride »

_NT_sven wrote:
Majora_ wrote:

How can i do it?

In hotkey settings there is a section called "find units" I think.

now i can reach pr 35 xD
No Flag britrouga
Musketeer

Post by britrouga »

rsy wrote:
britrouga wrote:

What do u use them for bud

Unit production, unit formation, buildings etc.