Alternative playable maps outside of Standard pool?

Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

I ended up playing on Andes for the first time in ages today, turns out other than missing a starting mine it actually has decent hunts and alright map dynamics.
Are there any other maps that aren't necessarily fully competitive, but are fun/relatively balanced to play on that you guys know about?
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Try Northwest Territories! :) When I played it I had a few good hunts and mines. It's easily wallable, so you should think about your civ twice. Here is a screenshot, which is the worst example since the bottom player only has 1 trade post.
[img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ageofempires/images/f/f4/Northwest_Territory_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120830113616" style="max-width:100%'" alt=""]
No Flag nazz121
Musketeer

Post by nazz121 »

edeholland wrote:Try Northwest Territories! :) When I played it I had a few good hunts and mines. It''s easily wallable, so you should think about your civ twice. Here is a screenshot, which is the worst example since the bottom player only has 1 trade post.
+1000000000000000, my fav map! :D
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

sh*t this map looks op, where did u get it?
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Standard maps, lol
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

lol i really need to get more tad knowledge
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

NWT was actually in the standard map pool for TWC, so you could get in a quick search game. I can understand why it was removed as it's very abusable with walls and caravels ... though tbh a lot of the current maps are like that. Well either way it's possibly the nicest looking map out of all the ES ones, so green ! :lemon:

Ceylon, Orinocco, Amazonia and Honshu are some others that spring to mind.

Also I hear the map pool for the next tournament will be released very soon which has some pretty cool maps that are both balanced and have unique designs. :thumbsup:
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Is it possible that someone make a patch where we can play rated with garja's maps?
It doesn't matter if nobody come on this patch, at least it would be possible to play with friends!
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

diarouga wrote:Is it possible that someone make a patch where we can play rated with garja''s maps?
It doesn''t matter if nobody come on this patch, at least it would be possible to play with friends!
That would be really nice ye. But then I''m curious how that will look like on ELO, it won''t recognize the name of the maps.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Andes was probably my fav map during TWC times
No Flag bugattivitesse
Skirmisher

Post by bugattivitesse »

Is pampas one? Thats a personal favorite of mine.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

diarouga wrote:Is it possible that someone make a patch where we can play rated with garja''s maps?
It doesn''t matter if nobody come on this patch, at least it would be possible to play with friends!

I just wud like a std map pool filled with garja maps
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

edeholland wrote:Try Northwest Territories! :) When I played it I had a few good hunts and mines. It''s easily wallable, so you should think about your civ twice. Here is a screenshot, which is the worst example since the bottom player only has 1 trade post.
?[img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ageofempires/images/f/f4/Northwest_Territory_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120830113616[/img]

This map is one of those that''s so close to being really good. If I knew how to RMS, I''d make a version replacing the water and just mirroring the right side on the left which could solve those couple issues with it.

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

forgrin wrote:
edeholland wrote:Try Northwest Territories! :) When I played it I had a few good hunts and mines. Its easily wallable, so you should think about your civ twice. Here is a screenshot, which is the worst example since the bottom player only has 1 trade post.
[img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ageofempires/images/f/f4/Northwest_Territory_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120830113616[/img]

This map is one of those thats so close to being really good. If I knew how to RMS, Id make a version replacing the water and just mirroring the right side on the left which could solve those couple issues with it.
Well, thats a no whale map and there isnt many fish so a water boom isnt really viable...
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

diarouga wrote:
forgrin wrote:This map is one of those thats so close to being really good. If I knew how to RMS, Id make a version replacing the water and just mirroring the right side on the left which could solve those couple issues with it.
Well, thats a no whale map and there isnt many fish so a water boom isnt really viable...

That doesnt stop the nayukis of this world to spam warships
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

diarouga wrote:
forgrin wrote:This map is one of those thats so close to being really good. If I knew how to RMS, Id make a version replacing the water and just mirroring the right side on the left which could solve those couple issues with it.

No, but having an extra native post island like on the east of the current map would open up the map a bit as well as reduce the effectiveness of walling up. The water on that map as you say doesnt really serve any distinct purpose, so why not just elminiate it?

Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

diarouga wrote:

I was saying just get rid of the water and have another native post peninsula like the East side replace the water area. As you say, it doesnt have enough fish to be useful and just encourages warship antics.

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

bart331 wrote:
diarouga wrote:Well, thats a no whale map and there isnt many fish so a water boom isnt really viable...

That doesnt stop the nayukis of this world to spam warships
Warship alone arent op. What is op is fishboom+WS.
Btw since he doesnt wall you should beat him by playing 100% land.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

Eco otherside of river , boats in middle?
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

forgrin wrote:
edeholland wrote:Try Northwest Territories! :) When I played it I had a few good hunts and mines. Its easily wallable, so you should think about your civ twice. Here is a screenshot, which is the worst example since the bottom player only has 1 trade post.
?[img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ageofempires/images/f/f4/Northwest_Territory_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120830113616[/img]

This map is one of those thats so close to being really good. If I knew how to RMS, Id make a version replacing the water and just mirroring the right side on the left which could solve those couple issues with it.

I can try to mess around with it when i have spare time in the near future
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

I have an idea, i think it works, 90% sure, but i have not testing it yet. It takes 30 sec before you launch age of empires, and you will be able to play rated on Garja maps.
No need to do an entire patch with a special launcher. I mean it would be the best, but hard to do.

EDIT : It works ! ..... but during the 5 starting second. Then the game oos....
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

sounds like you replaced the map set you have for standard maps with a different file, but the same name. Then when you launched it OOS'ed because your opponent didnt have it?

Either way, if someone is interested in doing this type of thing it would be better to PM someone at ESOC about it. We already may have done what you are trying to do.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

GS worked on the FP, he should know how to do it.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

Fp only had altered maps, but for new maps u need to add up some sort of control number afaik, i did something in the past for a funpatch where it was possible to do rated on added maps
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I am saying we can do it right now lol