Regarding backherding...

No Flag fatalimperium
Crossbow

Regarding backherding...

Post by fatalimperium »

I've read many times that it is a question of luck, but in the last 6/7 games I suffered this even a few times in the same game. So I wonder, is there any kind of limits in the distance you can herd a hunt or something?

In the last games my hunts were pretty far away from the TC vs aggressive civs( Me Brits) so I soon sent a vill to do the dirty work, placing carefully my manors, market and tower, then when the hunt just need the final push to be where it should, those sons of a ****** just run away 21675351 metres from my TC, its almost a free herd to the other guy! and my glitering assemblage worth nothing. If I were a better player sure I can still do good but I'm so bad that those kind of things hurt my game too much.

So, any suggestion? If the limit really exist I guess I should play that game different but I tend to play defensive. Some will tell me not to play standard GP, they're right but... I need to know :happytomato:

PS: And yeah, I'm doing it manually shooting the last bison, its not a question of vills firing automatically when the meat is gone, and I always walk some distance so the game doesnt get confused about the direction or something like that.

Thanks in advance, sorry my english and may the hunts be with you (:))
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Regarding backherding...

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Well,
You can hope someome makes a new patch with garja's maps...
No Flag slay3r19
Crossbow

Regarding backherding...

Post by slay3r19 »

yeah back herding sucks, is there a fix to it? play garja's maps, Also some maps are worse than others. IMO Great Plains has the worse back herding, you gotta keep herding just to keep them still. I've been playing more siberia because it is pretty balanced and the hunts are pretty fair and don't require magic to herd them :P
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Regarding backherding...

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Backherding happens because you are herding hunts which are too far from your starting TC. There is no fix for this, but you can host your own games and resign before 2 minutes if you have no hunts. That way the game is unrated. See this thread for more information
No Flag fatalimperium
Crossbow

Regarding backherding...

Post by fatalimperium »

I always felt like this happened to me more than others, I guess its just I cry more :( The thing is there're people who claim they're capable of avoid it(especially in Gameranger), if the solution is, as you say not to herd distand hunts, well, that's not a solution 21.

By Garja's map you guys mean the ASC from the tourney? I'll try playing in those who cares about rating ( I guess is convenient to me to say so :) )

Again thanks for your time, GG.
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Regarding backherding...

Post by aoefan4life »

There is an invisible circle in which the hunts will bounce back if they try to cross it. I believe the fanpatch fixed backherding/
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Regarding backherding...

Post by bart331 »

aoefan4life wrote:There is an invisible circle in which the hunts will bounce back if they try to cross it. I believe the fanpatch fixed backherding/

Ye hunts bug when too far from spawning place, it happens most often near objects like town centers. All fp did was plant a million bison on gp so the hunts were closer and thus bugged less often
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Regarding backherding...

Post by _H2O »

This appeared when TWC was released. I remember distinctly the first time it happened on great plains. In my opinion the mechanic is annoying and antifun.

Advice:

Make sure the villager herds at max range on the furthest back animal. The position of the villager decides if backherd will happen' not the animal its shooting,
No Flag matuiss2
Musketeer

Regarding backherding...

Post by matuiss2 »

i think its proposital so people cant steal the enemies starting herd XD.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Regarding backherding...

Post by MCJim »

So why does it backherd more often on GP?
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Regarding backherding...

Post by Marco1698 »

fatalimperium wrote:?I''ve read many times that it is a question of luck, but in the last 6/7 games I suffered this even a few times in the same game. So I wonder, is there any kind of limits in the distance you can herd a hunt or something?

?In the last games my hunts were pretty far away from the TC vs aggressive civs( Me Brits) so I soon sent a vill to do the dirty work, placing carefully my manors, market and tower, then when the hunt just need the final push to be where it should, those sons of a ****** just run away 21675351 metres from my TC, its almost a free herd to the other guy! and my glitering assemblage worth nothing. If I were a better player sure I can still do good but I''m so bad that those kind of things hurt my game too much.

?So, any suggestion? If the limit really exist I guess I should play that game different but I tend to play defensive. Some will tell me not to play standard GP, they''re right but... I need to know :happytomato:

PS: And yeah, I''m doing it manually shooting the last bison, its not a question of vills firing automatically when the meat is gone, and I always walk some distance so the game doesnt get confused about the direction or something like that.

Thanks in advance, sorry my english and may the hunts be with you (:))
?

Sure. There is an invisible limit you shouldn''t overcome. When you herd hunts so much animals just go back. It''s not a bug as I thought initially. Play garja''s maps and when you want to play rated just try to play gp as less as you can :-). I am playing nilla these days and it sucks so much. Few hunts almost of the games and sometimes also tp out of the map lol.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Regarding backherding...

Post by Mimsy for President »

diarouga wrote:Well,
You can hope someome makes a new patch with garja''s maps...
I had a backherding on Kamchatka yesterday, for the first time. Nothing much compared to official maps though.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Regarding backherding...

Post by Garja »

Backherding happens regardless of the map, it is just a feature of hunts, not a bug or anything. I think different animals have different range, or perhaps the range is proportional to the maps size.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Regarding backherding...

Post by deleted_user0 »

I think the many trade posts on gp cause trouble too.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Regarding backherding...

Post by _H2O »

Could it be you get severely hunt screwed on GP all the time??
No Flag fatalimperium
Crossbow

Regarding backherding...

Post by fatalimperium »

The last games for sure, but I remember sometimes bringing to my TC the hunt that ussualy spawn in the middle of the map when I had only deer nearby and no problems. As you said the position of the vill its the key maybe, but I can't recall now the positions of the vills everytime this happened.

In fact I'm going to test it vs cpu right now xD.

By the way Garja's maps are great :thumbsup: