Making the jump to pr 30+

No Flag kushkush
Musketeer

Post by kushkush »

I have good hotkeys and micro, I believe it's my lack of civ knowledge. I'm only good with a couple civs, I need to play all the civs more
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

incog wrote:piro is forcing himself to play one civ and one [bad] strategy every game. that he managed to make colonel with that is impressive in my eyes. if he felt like playing other civs and playing the game with other builds I''m sure he''d be much higher ranked

also there is no natural limit to PR cap, it''s more that it''ll take more or less time for each different person to make it to the top.
Piro skills like micro and mechanics are still nothing special if you ask me. But I have only seen like 10 games from him.

Anyways, KushKush, trying recording a game and uploading it here. You can receive better feedback when we have something to criticize.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

incog wrote:piro is forcing himself to play one civ and one [bad] strategy every game. that he managed to make colonel with that is impressive in my eyes. if he felt like playing other civs and playing the game with other builds I''m sure he''d be much higher ranked
It''s a very aggressive build which is hard to hold for people who don''t know exactly what to do. They''re used to normal Spain FFs and the timings are just different, which means a lot of free wins for piro. He is not any less overranked than your average Otto lamer imo.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Yep it's a cheap way to get rank points. A perfect example where rank doesn't reflect skills.
Image Image Image
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

incog wrote:also there is no natural limit to PR cap, it''s more that it''ll take more or less time for each different person to make it to the top.

Look at SC2 and the machine koreans. No matter how much 99% of us train we''ll never be that good. You can see even the western players who play 24/7 can''t keep up.

Clearly the mechanical skill cap is a lot higher in SC2, but the principle remains the same and can be applied to the power ranking system. You can say the natural limit is quite high for a game like aoe3 but nonetheless there is one.

I think it is somewhere below PR 40 personally.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

wickedcossack wrote:
incog wrote:also there is no natural limit to PR cap, its more that itll take more or less time for each different person to make it to the top.
Look at SC2 and the machine koreans. No matter how much 99% of us train well never be that good. You can see even the western players who play 24/7 cant keep up.
They just have a different attitude towards video games there and the best ones have insane work ethic. They also have professional, experienced coaches and strict training schedules. I dont think they are more talented necessarily.

I think anyone can be a top 10 player at AoE3 as long as they have a competitive mindset and commit to playing 40+ hours a week.
No Flag Zhou_You
Crossbow

Post by Zhou_You »

When was the last time there was a field marshal?
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

08/2010 Samwise

Almost 5 years ago.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Just play 20k games and you'll be top 10 if you know how to train.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Speaking of natural limit or w/e, I've thought since 2011 that I've been at mine, pretty much still do. It's hard for me to find ways to improve or tell the difference between me and someone better. And that -- is the most frustrating thing to me.
Germany oO_Chief_Oo
Musketeer
ESO: S77XN

Post by oO_Chief_Oo »

i cant even imagine how much time people must spend in this game to reach 20k games.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Play with very high level players and if you lose, see what mistakes you made, what the other player did.

Don't play unrated. Playing rated makes you more willing to try to win.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

yurashic wrote:Don''t play unrated.

:whistling:
oranges.
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner
ESO: Samwise12

Post by samwise12 »

iamsoldier wrote:Speaking of natural limit or w/e, I''ve thought since 2011 that I''ve been at mine, pretty much still do. It''s hard for me to find ways to improve or tell the difference between me and someone better. And that -- is the most frustrating thing to me.
i can help u with this
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I do think there is a natural limit, and it varies from one to another. As an example, not everyone can break the 10 seconds barrier in 100 meters races (100-metre dash?), no matter how hard you train.

reaching pr 40 is the same thing, off course is much easier then the previous example, and a higher % of the population can get there... but not everyone.
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner

Post by samwise12 »

The biggest problem most people have is the wrong mindset, majority of people always look for something to blame after a loss rather than thinking of ways they could've won the game. I notice this especially when watching others stream, people like to blame things that had nothing to do with why they actually lost the game.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

aizamk wrote:
yurashic wrote:Dont play unrated.

boss i learnt from better players mostly in "unrated" games.... otherwise better players dont wanna take on noobs (zzz)
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

lemmings121 wrote:I do think there is a natural limit, and it varies from one to another. As an example, not everyone can break the 10 seconds barrier in 100 meters races (100-metre dash?), no matter how hard you train.

reaching pr 40 is the same thing, off course is much easier then the previous example, and a higher % of the population can get there... but not everyone.
Running is completely different. That''s based off of athleticism which is vastly different than gaming. Aoe3 is based primarily off of decision making and then translating those decisions into clicking the mouse. Anyone who isn''t mentally handicapped can make the right decisions as quickly and accurately as any top player if he has enough experience. While I''m sure some people who have god awful hand eye coordination probably couldn''t reach the very top tier of players, but with the right training any average person could. There''s so much of a bigger difference between Lebron James who''s been dunking since he popped out of his mom''s vagina and me who can barely even get down a baby dunk than between me and H20 or samwise that it''s not even really a reasonable comparison. I could play on a comparable level to any top tier player if I wanted to, while 5 of me could never even come close to beating Lebron in a basketball game.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

samwise12 wrote:The biggest problem most people have is the wrong mindset, majority of people always look for something to blame after a loss rather than thinking of ways they could''ve won the game. I notice this especially when watching others stream, people like to blame things that had nothing to do with why they actually lost the game.

Damn lag, and that treasure age 1 of 30 wood. Next game ill win for sure.

Haha i alrdy figured out i just suck at this game, so lost the ambition to go fwd and started playing for fun
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner

Post by samwise12 »

Like anything really there is a certain amount of natural ability, but if you practice correctly anyone can get pr 35+. Mindlessly spamming games for 40 hours a week wont automatically make you a better player.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

gibson wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:I do think there is a natural limit, and it varies from one to another. As an example, not everyone can break the 10 seconds barrier in 100 meters races (100-metre dash?), no matter how hard you train.

Running is completely different. Thats based off of athleticism which is vastly different than gaming. Aoe3 is based primarily off of decision making and then translating those decisions into clicking the mouse. Anyone who isnt mentally handicapped can make the right decisions as quickly and accurately as any top player if he has enough experience. While Im sure some people who have god awful hand eye coordination probably couldnt reach the very top tier of players, but with the right training any average person could. Theres so much of a bigger difference between Lebron James whos been dunking since he popped out of his moms vagina and me who can barely even get down a baby dunk than between me and H20 or samwise that its not even really a reasonable comparison. I could play on a comparable level to any top tier player if I wanted to, while 5 of me could never even come close to beating Lebron in a basketball game.

imo is the same thing, people arent only different in their fisical limits, but also on their mental limits, elsewise all chess grandmasters would be tied, since they all practice "24/7"..

I agree that 99% of players are able to get ~~35pr with enoght trainament, but not everyone can be top 1 in anything, just due to people limitations..
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

There are also physical limitations to playing aoe3.

Speed for sure but also accuracy is a big deal that is often understated.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

aizamk wrote:
yurashic wrote:Dont play unrated.

I dont play rated when I play with friends.
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

I doubt rated vs unrated matters. If anything unrated is better because you're more likely to try strats and ideas you havn't yet perfected to just see how they do. Less map screws too, so results are more reliable. Though you don't get the variety quicksearch brings so there is a bit of a downside.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

yurashic wrote:
aizamk wrote:

I dont play rated when I play with friends.
<'3

Though it was more that I spent quite a few years on nilla playing 100% unrated obs games :happydance:
oranges.