Back Herding

No Flag Eric1996
Crossbow
ESO: santaclaus101

Back Herding

Post by Eric1996 »

Looking at the herding thread convinced me to finally ask. Why the hell do my hunts run the opposite direction all the time?! I understand that shooting them into something can cause this but why does it happen even when there isn't anything? Or if there is something in the way do I just decide to leave it? Or is there a way around it.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Re: Back Herding

Post by britishmusketeer »

There is a max radius that hunts can move from their starting location.
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: diarouga

Post by Diarouga »

It happens when your hunts are too far, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

The only key to consider is that shooting the farthest back animal is best for two reasons.

1. It provides the best movement of the herd
2. The backherding is triggered by the villagers location. Not the location of the herd or the animal shot. So by shooting the furthest away animal at max range you can move the herd closer to your tc.

This isn't a complicated topic but people tend to make it feel like it is mysterious.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

_H2O wrote:The only key to consider is that shooting the farthest back animal is best for two reasons.

1. It provides the best movement of the herd
2. The backherding is triggered by the villagers location. Not the location of the herd or the animal shot. So by shooting the furthest away animal at max range you can move the herd closer to your tc.

This isn't a complicated topic but people tend to make it feel like it is mysterious.

It's not triggered by the villagers location

It's very easy to test.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

@H2O_

Example screenshots below. The hunt started at the blue dot southeast from the current location. Placed a wall to show where I stood

Sorry for that small text haha, here's the text:

First screenshot -> no backherd
second screenshot -> backherd
Attachments
nobackherd.png
backherd.png
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

He's not asking about shooting hunts backwards. He's asking why hunts move away even when they aren't shot after a period of time. Like why don't they stay stationary
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

rsy wrote:He's not asking about shooting hunts backwards. He's asking why hunts move away even when they aren't shot after a period of time. Like why don't they stay stationary

No he isn't lol. Read his post again.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

britishmusketeer wrote:
rsy wrote:He's not asking about shooting hunts backwards. He's asking why hunts move away even when they aren't shot after a period of time. Like why don't they stay stationary

No he isn't lol. Read his post again.

Ah never mind
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I usually don't experience backherd that way but if your right then it's random because in the second one both the villager and the animal are closer to the original starting point but it still backherds.

I guess based on the number of dead animals as well I would like to see a video rather than screenshots to fully understand what happened in that test.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

The backherd is triggered by the position of one or more (or all animals) of the herd. If it goes outside it's original circonference it bakcherds. The backherd does not necessarily go exactly toward the center of the radius. Also it is hard to know where the center or how long the lenght of the radius actually are. The pertinent area might actually be a diamond rather than a circle.
The specific animal you shoot to herd does affect the animation, yes. The number of animals in a herd does as well I think. The more they are the farther it goes with a single shot, it seems.
Image Image Image
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Garja wrote:The backherd is triggered by the position of one or more (or all animals) of the herd. If it goes outside it's original circonference it bakcherds. The backherd does not necessarily go exactly toward the center of the radius. Also it is hard to know where the center or how long the lenght of the radius actually are. The pertinent area might actually be a diamond rather than a circle.
The specific animal you shoot to herd does affect the animation, yes. The number of animals in a herd does as well I think. The more they are the farther it goes with a single shot, it seems.

After a lot of testing this fits very well with my experience as well.

Think of the hunt location as an invisible dot which the animals randomly wander around. If you shoot the herd, the dot will move x meters in the same direction. But the hunts could move kind of freely around that dot but still follow it when it moves.

Of course just a theory but it fits the behaviour better than theone of individual animals position or the one closest or farthest away.

It would also explain why you get backherd in seemingly random positions. If this dot is stationary but the animals wandered away on their own, it will look like their position is somewhere where its actually not
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

Decided there needed to be some descent documentary of this "dear" phenomenon... Enjoy! :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3J75xFRTMc
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

tabben wrote:Decided there needed to be some descent documentary of this "dear" phenomenon... Enjoy! :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3J75xFRTMc

Lol, that's the most unfortunate thing that can happen.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Very unfortunate, but in the end it's what you get when you play on standard Great Plains. Can't really blame the mechanic here, blame the map.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Can't back herd a hunt if all the bison are dead. Vicswe ahead of the game as always.