vet crossbows in super late age 3

India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

vet crossbows in super late age 3

Post by rsy »

so the question from a previous topic remains whether or not you should make crossbows in late age 3 when the coin has ran out. As discussed, skirms offer a much better range, also the fact that if you decide to make a plantation you could possible train artillery. Having said that, gathering from plantations may be too slow and if the crossbow pike army hits fast enough, you may not be able to make any artillery/skirms.

this is probably dependent on the situations. considering the situation where on a land map, all natural sources of coin have ran out and neither player has setup plantations yet with maybe around 30-40 vill pop, is it better to go for a plantation and keep making skirms or research vet crossbows and log flume and start pumping out archaic units? also, similar situation but with around 70-80 vill pop.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: vet crossbows in super late age 3

Post by pecelot »

It's very situational and I don't think one should jump to significant conclusions. Generally one should eventually gradually transition to plantations, with wood you can only produce crossbowmen and pikemen — no cavalry, no artillery and such. A transition to age 3 xbow+pike play also requires some gold to run, like 250 or later 480 for market upgrades and 400 for both veteran statuses — maybe it'd be just better to use the last grasp of your coinage on skirms or other gold units.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Thanks for making an effort to continue, lets try to keep things chill up in here. I think one benefit of taking that plunge and getting a plantation in late age 3 is that at least with france you can send a card giving you skirm more hp. I agree however that the dyanmics do change in late age 3 but this situation is incredibly rare in my experience.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

rsy wrote:so the question from a previous topic remains whether or not you should make crossbows in late age 3 when the coin has ran out. As discussed, skirms offer a much better range, also the fact that if you decide to make a plantation you could possible train artillery. Having said that, gathering from plantations may be too slow and if the crossbow pike army hits fast enough, you may not be able to make any artillery/skirms.

this is probably dependent on the situations. considering the situation where on a land map, all natural sources of coin have ran out and neither player has setup plantations yet with maybe around 30-40 vill pop, is it better to go for a plantation and keep making skirms or research vet crossbows and log flume and start pumping out archaic units? also, similar situation but with around 70-80 vill pop.

given the first vil situation i would go for the archaic units. the second situation i would go for the plantation.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

It depends if u can keep the opponent away when building plantations. If you have no army you probably should make xbows, but if you can afford the time to setup the plantations, then it would be better.

For 70-80 vills then it would be quite late in the game, so you would have plantations anyway I imagine. Otherwise you would be over-gathering in some areas.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

this was supposed to be an objectively shit thread, i'm confused
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

evilcheadar wrote:I think one benefit of taking that plunge and getting a plantation in late age 3 is that at least with france you can send a card giving you skirm more hp.

What card do you mean? You can also send one that increases the HP count of both skirms and xbows.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

the memes are real

where's my ban at

maybe if i impersonate a mod i'll get a perma-ban like rouga

User was warned for this post.

edit lol this got edited
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Wilderness warfare card

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I think it's only worth it in super scrappy games. In most late age 3 games you'll have the resources to switch to mills and/or water. As a euro civ plantations are a little bit trickier but even then you should be fine. An alternative is to age to IV and get factories/cannons instead of mills/plantations.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Also think about this, if both players don't have access to a natural gold source like mines and whales, wouldn't it be better to exchange all the wood you gather at the market until the exchange becomes too unreasonable? Think about it, in late age 3 you probably have sent a whole bunch of cards for cavalry like cuirasser so it could be very much worth it.

Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

evilcheadar wrote:Wilderness warfare card

Honestly, if you have this card in your deck as france, send it, get blunderbuss/greatcoats, and push with everything you can. I actually have a rec from just recently. It was a french mirror on gp, both of us played pretty evenly, but i won because i fought with my vills and i rekt his army pretty hard, after that you can just pick off his vills one by one (much easier then when they're in a large group ofc) and siege down his stuff and its gg.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

evilcheadar wrote:Also think about this, if both players don't have access to a natural gold source like mines and whales, wouldn't it be better to exchange all the wood you gather at the market until the exchange becomes too unreasonable? Think about it, in late age 3 you probably have sent a whole bunch of cards for cavalry like cuirasser so it could be very much worth it.

Pretty much.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

evilcheadar wrote:Also think about this, if both players don't have access to a natural gold source like mines and whales, wouldn't it be better to exchange all the wood you gather at the market until the exchange becomes too unreasonable? Think about it, in late age 3 you probably have sent a whole bunch of cards for cavalry like cuirasser so it could be very much worth it.

The exchange is already unreasonable really. 250 vill seconds to get ~167 vill seconds.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

x-bow & pike in late age 3 is like Volkssturm in 1945.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

Imperial Noob wrote:x-bow & pike in late age 3 is like Volkssturm in 1945.

Like Yakolev Yaks in korean war
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

milku3459 wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:x-bow & pike in late age 3 is like Volkssturm in 1945.

Like Yakolev Yaks in korean war

nope, more like Kukuruzniks :P
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

vet xbow is good vs sioux imo.
skirm dont beat LAME BOW RIDERs, but xbow can.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Skirm beat bow riders
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

tedere12 wrote:Skirm beat bow riders

no not that easy. sioux can just avoid fighting vs you, and if you march into his tc he just send shipments, attack from behind, and kill all.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Sioux sucks anyway, he wont kill anything because his mass is small.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Ud be surprised actually.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

that's what she said