TOTW #18 Not Deleting a unit in order to have pop room to send a vital military shipment can be bad

United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

TOTW #18 Not Deleting a unit in order to have pop room to send a vital military shipment can be bad

Post by evilcheadar »

This tip is not obvious in my opinion and is somewhat counter-intuitive, most people might think you shouldn't be deleting your units. The gist of the tip is that sometimes to ship units that are critical to your continued survival/winning you may need to delete a unit to free up 1 pop space such that you can over pop and get the shipment en route. There's obvious units that would not be smart to delete, like a mahout. However, if you find yourself with not enough pop to send a critical unit shipment and you're british, deleting one of your many vills will allow you to get that shipment coming. Ideally, it is best not to find yourself in a position where you need to do this (get those houses up!) but shit can happen. :uglylol:

If you choose not to do this, it can be the difference between your tc burning down and winning the game.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Re: TOTW #18 Not Deleting a unit in order to have pop room to send a vital military shipment can be bad

Post by noissance »

I have seen people lose games on streams because they were stubborn to build house before sending the shipment. If the unit shipment arrived 10 seconds earlier, it could have won them the game. Deleting a villager isnt ideal, but if you have a minuteman that is on 1 hp or something that may be worth it for superior full-hp units.
Error 404: Signature not found
Gendarme

Re: TOTW #18 Not Deleting a unit in order to have pop room to send a vital military shipment can be bad

Post by evilcheadar »

noissance wrote:I have seen people lose games on streams because they were stubborn to build house before sending the shipment. If the unit shipment arrived 10 seconds earlier, it could have won them the game. Deleting a villager isnt ideal, but if you have a minuteman that is on 1 hp or something that may be worth it for superior full-hp units.

Yea, I feel like I have lost games in the past because it doesn't feel right to delete a settler.

Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

Good tip! Here's one for you--give people things to do instead of things not to do as speaking in negatives just makes the title longer and more confusing.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

milku3459 wrote:Good tip! Here's one for you--give people things to do instead of things not to do as speaking in negatives just makes the title longer and more confusing.

Sorry, it's just my unique style I use when I type on these forums.

United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Yeah, active voice is for lazy people.
Error 404: Signature not found
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I like to keep the main body of the tip in the front of the title.

No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I dont think a vill is a wise choice unless its got like 1 hp. A musket cost about the same but later on a musket is easier to train again and a vill will get you more res. I really cant think of a good reason to kill a vill
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

I thought this was a pretty good tip, but the double negative made it a little difficult to parse. "Not Deleting a unit in order to have pop room to send a vital military shipment can be bad" isn't quite logically identical to "Deleting a unit in order to have pop room to send a vital military shipment can be good", but it makes it easier (at least for me) to read. Is there any particular reason that you opted for the double negative here?
duck
:mds:
imo
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Vinyanyérë wrote:I thought this was a pretty good tip, but the double negative made it a little difficult to parse. "Not Deleting a unit in order to have pop room to send a vital military shipment can be bad" isn't quite logically identical to "Deleting a unit in order to have pop room to send a vital military shipment can be good", but it makes it easier (at least for me) to read. Is there any particular reason that you opted for the double negative here?

I mentioned earlier that it's part of my style, but also it's to pay homage to all the other tips that are phrased xx...is bad. :flowers:

Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

I see, in my rush to reply to this thread I missed the point where you addressed my very question earlier. How silly of me, great tip.
duck
imo
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Vinyanyérë wrote:I see, in my rush to reply to this thread I missed the point where you addressed my very question earlier. How silly of me, great tip.

No problem, I may even consider this constructive criticism when making future posts!

United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

I do this in treaty sometimes when my units aren't dying. Delete some skirms to queue a mort or send heavy cannon or something.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

dicktator_ wrote:I do this in treaty sometimes when my units aren't dying. Delete some skirms to queue a mort or send heavy cannon or something.

Ye I'd have to agree with that. Sometimes if you're playing a team game and/or the map is just really big you may even need to delete a whole group of units just to start training some closer to where the action is.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
dicktator_ wrote:I do this in treaty sometimes when my units aren't dying. Delete some skirms to queue a mort or send heavy cannon or something.

Ye I'd have to agree with that. Sometimes if you're playing a team game and/or the map is just really big you may even need to delete a whole group of units just to start training some closer to where the action is.

In FFA I do this all the time to change fighting locations! If you are attackin and someone hits you, you got to do this. If your eco is really up and they are trying a base trade when your army is at their base, I just delete non essential units to defend mine while attacking theirs, and going back on what I said in my previous post I sometimes delete vills just to squash people faster.

but in late game its much easier to afford to lose troops like that. I would still not delete vills early game or if my eco was lower.

also good point dictator, if you need culverins or something you cant afford to wait for pop to die out to train them!
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

evilcheadar wrote:
milku3459 wrote:Good tip! Here's one for you--give people things to do instead of things not to do as speaking in negatives just makes the title longer and more confusing.

Thank you for showing us the real strategies... if your totw's didnt exist, i would no way win against rafa that games!
You are always welcome for more instructive threads!
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

deleted_user wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:

Thank you for showing us the real strategies... if your totw's didnt exist, i would no way win against rafa that games!
You are always welcome for more instructive threads!

It's a great thing for me to say!

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

noissance wrote:I have seen people lose games on streams because they were stubborn to build house before sending the shipment. If the unit shipment arrived 10 seconds earlier, it could have won them the game. Deleting a villager isnt ideal, but if you have a minuteman that is on 1 hp or something that may be worth it for superior full-hp units.

mm take no pop space.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

umeu wrote:mm take no pop space.

Yes they do... :?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Uh, I mean, um, they don't. Right. *cough* *cough*
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

happy birthday mitoe!
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Honestly I know this is s joke in the community, and I love it as much as the next person, but it really is important to wish him happy birthday on his true birthday. And so for that, I say, happy actual birthday mitoe!
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

lol why would you delete a vill, a low-HP unit would be a much better choice to decapitate
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

yeah, I delete low hp units as china (usually one ckn or a pike) sometimes. It might be good!