Recorded Game viewing outside of AOE?

United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Recorded Game viewing outside of AOE?

Post by SoldieR »

Is there anyway to watch a recorded game through another program, like a windows media player or maybe something on a mobile device? I've long wondered if it was possible to make something like that.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Re: Recorded Game viewing outside of AOE?

Post by forgrin »

I highly doubt it. Pretty sure that recorded games are just a long list of movements/graphics/units/maps to pull from the game files, so without the game itself to interpret the rec file means nothing.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
No Flag r4go
Howdah

Post by r4go »

no u can't
Pizza, spaghetti, maccheroni, mandolino e tua mamma :flowers:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

@IAmSoldieR viewtopic.php?f=20&t=331&p=198384#p198307
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Nope.

Coz the game rec is not a video rec, it's like making a car drive itself on the same path you drove it some time ago. The path was recorded in the car's computer and replays the same course you took using the car's engine. Something like that.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

I always thought a good feature for aoe4 (so if they ever make it of course :uglylol: ) would be a mobile app (paid of course, maybe something like 5 bucks) that allowed you to download and watch recorded games. If combined with a good website (maybe it even automatically uploads all recorded games) it could be a very very nice feature.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That ^ is possible right now, by using Chrome Remote Desktop. Install this application on a desktop PC, pair the PC with a phone, launch AOE3 and load a rec. Then you can watch it on the phone. :ship:

If you want a special app on the phone just for that.. it would be more difficult. It would have to be able to run AOE to play recs. So, the phone would need an x86 (or x86_64) CPU and an OS for which there is an AOE port.
So it might be possible to run desktop AOE on a Windows Phone, if it was adapted to support Continuum (Microsoft's standard for continuous workflow on all windows devices).
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Actual physical recordings of a game are rough because it actually takes a lot of space to store such a thing. Thats the amazing part about many game replays, the trick they use (refer to dolans explanation) where the recorded game is just a savefile that contains the things that happened, allows recorded games to be so much smaller since the data on how things are actually supposed to look like are created by the game engine when you play the replay. This does mean that skipping ahead in many game's replays usually takes quite a bit of time compared to skipping ahead in a video, or that playing at a faster speed is more demanding for your pc.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

This is also why replays can go out of sync.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

n0eL wrote:that slows down the Fast forward option so that you can watch replays at normal speed

I actually doubt my language skills to understand this statement :hmm:
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

n0eL wrote:Normal speed is too slow without lowest possible graphic settings. Fast speed is too fast. Solution - slow down fast speed option to make it usable.

@Octanium

omg I feel so stupid. I read "Fast Forward" as "Fast Fortress". xD sorry! sorry! :uglylol:
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Except basically the game run is tied to frame rate so I think play fast just is like an emulator where you uncap the frame rate. Not sure how possible it would be to come up with some fixed frame rate cap or something.