Meta Discussion: Russia

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Meta Discussion: Russia

Post by deleted_user0 »

britishmusketeer wrote:
umeu wrote:it doesnt work that way, they dont have half a vil extra... they dont have their vils fasters, they dont have more vils, they just have to gather 45f less to get 800f. It's not a huge deal, though the it smoothens their bo's which were awkward at times in how to balance res. It's basically like picking up 45f tres every game without losing scouting time...

Why doesn't it work that way? I don't see why you would compare it to a 45f tres since the bonus continues in age 2. Whilst you are producing vills you need 0.5 vills less on food to keep up constant vill production so surely you can value it at half a vill?

it's 15f less every 45 seconds. it saves you like 225f at 10 minutes. That's about 40% of an upgraded villager, and more like 30% of a villager with steeltraps. I mean i'm not saying that it doesnt matter, just that it can't mean that russia goes from bottom tier to top tier. A 1 vill treasure is nice, but it in no way breaks any matchup. It's a nice bonus, but even if your enemy get's a cdb tres it doesnt mean you can't win. It will mean at most maybe 3 more skirs at the crucial battle. Which surely, if everything goes exactly mirrored, it can make a difference, but having a bad mine or a hunt missing matters way more than that.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Hazza54321 wrote:
umeu wrote:u talking to me?

everyone who doesnt play russia and thinks the change is insignificant yeah

well i didnt say its insignificant.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Ryan innercircle jerking was only reason why Ryan lost Otto-Spain. If he had played this MU even a few times vs double rax jan he would have understood to take CM which easily counters this strat.

Rapha did exactly what he was supposed to do. Take games away from H2o comfort zone (fair MU's he plays 24/7 with Mitoe).

Ruski is fine now. Don't touch them.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Cm is just such wasted card in that mu tbh =_=
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Yeah I think that the 15f change really only affected team play. Personally I think that the build orders against certain civs have been refined, namely against france and brits, and have made previously imbalanced matchups far more even. Stuff like the 5-4-700w didnt seem to common before the tourney, but has really taken off as we have started to notice just how powerful strelets and cossacks can be together. Strelets do very well against heavy infantry, and cossacks really keep the raiding pressure up, and force them to make more heavy infantry, which is countered by the strelets. If they start cav, russia can just go musk-cossack and keep track of raids and put the pressure on.

As you said, I agree that we have started to mix stables earlier and abuse the strength of boyared (and even cavalry scouted) cossacks. Also, the strength of the timing push has become more widely known. Raiding, instead of just going under their TC seems to be the style, and then you now push in with 9 cossack, remaining musk, as well as 10 strelets and trying to get some sort of advantage, and then mixing the stable.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

lordraphael wrote: Also no other civ benefits more from food trasures than russia does.

yesterday i was messing around with oto and got a few good treasures: clicked up to fortress at 4:30.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Simply because players finally decided to play the civ.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

umeu wrote:Cm is just such wasted card in that mu tbh =_=

No way. It's an auto win
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I would point to that one Asian guy who was 2.6k with Russia in RE. He also went more Cossack heavy as well.

Cool discussion so far.

I am also interested in what you send and do with Russia after the initial pressure to sustain it. What is the unit mix, shipment changes. The little nuggets that make Russia feel scarier now. What are the details you think changed there. I do think people have prioritized Cossacks a lot more than in the past. It turns out it takes a long time to kill them and they force perfect micro which sucks.
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

Darwin_ wrote:Yeah I think that the 15f change really only affected team play. Personally I think that the build orders against certain civs have been refined, namely against france and brits, and have made previously imbalanced matchups far more even. Stuff like the 5-4-700w didnt seem to common before the tourney, but has really taken off as we have started to notice just how powerful strelets and cossacks can be together. Strelets do very well against heavy infantry, and cossacks really keep the raiding pressure up, and force them to make more heavy infantry, which is countered by the strelets. If they start cav, russia can just go musk-cossack and keep track of raids and put the pressure on.

As you said, I agree that we have started to mix stables earlier and abuse the strength of boyared (and even cavalry scouted) cossacks. Also, the strength of the timing push has become more widely known. Raiding, instead of just going under their TC seems to be the style, and then you now push in with 9 cossack, remaining musk, as well as 10 strelets and trying to get some sort of advantage, and then mixing the stable.

Agree, would love some discussion on how to timing push and when to go in. I think this also has gotten a lot sharper. Seems like Russia can just jam it in your base at several timings one after another.
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

somppukunkku wrote:Ryan innercircle jerking was only reason why Ryan lost Otto-Spain. If he had played this MU even a few times vs double rax jan he would have understood to take CM which easily counters this strat.

Rapha did exactly what he was supposed to do. Take games away from H2o comfort zone (fair MU's he plays 24/7 with Mitoe).

Ruski is fine now. Don't touch them.

I only prepare like 4-8 hours for a match. You are right I should have spent a few minutes chatting to people about how to win that matchup. I prepared for that sort of game vs mongo but didn't expect Raphael to change his style to the rush every game style. So I practiced for things that never came up. I guess I should have paid more attention to who he was practicing with and how fair matchups went for him last finals.

Let's not derail the discussion here though. This isn't really about specific players to me.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

somppukunkku wrote:

No way. It's an auto win

you can win without it. if otto is smart and adapt to your cm, you just wasted a shipment.
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

_H2O wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:Yeah I think that the 15f change really only affected team play. Personally I think that the build orders against certain civs have been refined, namely against france and brits, and have made previously imbalanced matchups far more even. Stuff like the 5-4-700w didnt seem to common before the tourney, but has really taken off as we have started to notice just how powerful strelets and cossacks can be together. Strelets do very well against heavy infantry, and cossacks really keep the raiding pressure up, and force them to make more heavy infantry, which is countered by the strelets. If they start cav, russia can just go musk-cossack and keep track of raids and put the pressure on.

Agree, would love some discussion on how to timing push and when to go in. I think this also has gotten a lot sharper. Seems like Russia can just jam it in your base at several timings one after another.

Yeah I was playing rus vs. brits, and it felt like I could just keep pushing. Yes, my opponent admitted outright that he was not playing his best, but I thought he was actually playing quite well. I first pushed with my 5 musk+5 cossack, trying to kill the first batch of units, idle their vills and force mm. I did, so I just pulled back, waited for another 5 musk and 10 strel, as well as the 4 cossack, and made a pretty gnarly 7-7:30 timing push (9 musk, 10 strel and 8 cossack). That didnt kill him outright, but I killed a few vills and most of his army. I was also able to reinforce quite quickly after that, easily getting 10 musk and 5+ more cossack out by 7:30. Once 700w came, I mixed a stable and went pretty coss heavy. It was on Baja california, which is a fairly even map for the civs, as the rush distance is long for russia, but the hunts are on the lower end. This meant that I could raid heavily, and whenever I got into a fight, I could just have like 3-4 cossack on his vills.
This I think is a product of efficient units, as well as the strength of the blockhouse. It was very hard for him to push out and destroy my bh, because I had a great mass, and the ranged attack can actually deal quite well with cavalry. I think that it can kill a hussar in 8 shots, which is not insignificant. The efficiency of my units meant that I could take fights that other civs shouldnt and have a even trade, but be able to pull some of my cavalry away and raid. I think that EP russia has really turned into the starve-out king, being able to trade efficiently and raid well.
The first 3 fights I took were essentially even in terms of efficiency, though I did kill 8 or so vills from raiding and such. As I noticed in the graphs, the push that I made at around 11 minutes (I went 5-4-700w-700c-boyars) was amazing in terms of efficiency. My opponent commented after the game that my cossacks just wouldnt die, which was kinda true. I had around 15 cossack at that time, and my strelet mass made sure that he essentially had nothing to counter them besides his own hussars.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

umeu wrote:
somppukunkku wrote:

No way. It's an auto win

you can win without it. if otto is smart and adapt to your cm, you just wasted a shipment.

After you have 2 raxes and 700f already shipped there's no going back. Eco is full bs and you don't have enough time to adapt before 2 cannons and shitload of shipments are at your door.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

actually if spain ships cm, you can easily go 700c and just age up with 10 jans. you should probably be able to cancel all jans if u want if u scout properly.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

2x cossack is not new stuff. As for which combo to make, it is just the one that counters the opponent units. Russia is happy to camp outside of the opponent base forever, since it has 1) best colo combo after jap and india (and maybe iro), 2) fast age up to quickly follow up if surprise age up, 3) best late game except maybe for French.
Just dont lose the fb and you win vs most civs.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Hazza54321 wrote:play a game on re with russia then ep, then tell me how significant it feels
it feels exactly the same......
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

gibson wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:play a game on re with russia then ep, then tell me how significant it feels

yeah ofc it does, you right
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Hazza54321 wrote:
gibson wrote:

reported your Picture for impersonating..
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Umeu brings math to the table and the only thing the Russian circlejerkers got is "it feels smoother"
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

it is smoother imo, it snowballs the advantage, you aging a few seconds earlier, 5 cos in his base earlier makes his hus or musk batch 1-2 units less, you have market ups a bit sooner. Everything just happens a bit quicker imo and then on top of that the builds are more refined imo. Also French/ger two of Russia's hardest mu's on re imo got nerfed pretty hard. but idk I suck so I'm probably wrong lol.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

deleted_user wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

?
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Yeah the -15f change I think just made them play more smoothly. I feel more comfortable delaying military for the sake of constant vills. I think that russia feels stronger since no one is going for the all in 5-4-13 anymore, instead playing with more eco. People are getting steel traps earlier, building their second blockhouse more strategically, and training more cav. I dont think that that style of play would work quite well on RE, but the EP meta and civ balance allows them to do so.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Hazza54321 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

?

impersonating mankle and now acts like u dont know anything? clever boy...
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

deleted_user wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

?

impersonating mankle and now acts like u dont know anything? clever boy...

Im so glad youre on the ep team