Key for attack move

Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon
ESO: Akechi_Mitsuhide

Key for attack move

Post by Akechi_Mitsuhide »

Which key do you use for attack move? The "a" or "z" is just too small, isn't it?
@WickedCossack
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Re: Key for attack move

Post by Mimsy for President »

E
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I use Z but u can use space too I guess, or a mouse button
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Akechi_Mitsuhide wrote:Which key do you use for attack move? The "a" or "z" is just too small, isn't it?
@WickedCossack

I use "a." Size seems fine since it's close to my hand I never misclick it. Only keys on the far side of the keyboard sometimes I hit the wrong one.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

Q
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I plan on using "Space"
[Sith] - Baphomet
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Snuden wrote:I plan on using "Space"

I wouldn't recommend that since you'll need to press space with your thumb or it'll put your index finger under way too much stress. Ideally you want your ring and middle fingers resting in the center of the number line on your keyboard so you can access all the control groups easily aswell as hotkeys.

I've found space ideal for going to the homecity since it's a good key when you don't immediately have it follow it up with another key press since you can just hammer it. I can't really think of anything else I'd put on space tbh.
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon

WickedCossack wrote:

I wouldn't recommend that since you'll need to press space with your thumb or it'll put your index finger under way too much stress. Ideally you want your ring and middle fingers resting in the center of the number line on your keyboard so you can access all the control groups easily aswell as hotkeys.

I've found space ideal for going to the homecity since it's a good key when you don't immediately have it follow it up with another key press since you can just hammer it. I can't really think of anything else I'd put on space tbh.

What do you use for villagers? I think many use space for vills.
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Nah no way would any top player use space for anything as important as villagers, I think? Someone is welcome to post and let me know I'm wrong but that sounds like an inefficient set up.

I just use "e" for villager. But that comes from having played protoss in SC2 where probe was e and you'd just hammer 44e4e4e4e4e4.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

WickedCossack wrote:

I hear you... But I play on a laptop (like a boss) and I use "t' for my TC and "v" to train villagers - index finger on "t" and my thumb on "v" So I think "space" will be good - but need to be tested obviously.

I am trying to get my other 3 fingers to reach "1" "2" and "3" for created control groups.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon

WickedCossack wrote:Nah no way would any top player use space for anything as important as villagers, I think? Someone is welcome to post and let me know I'm wrong but that sounds like an inefficient set up.

I just use "e" for villager. But that comes from having played protoss in SC2 where probe was e and you'd just hammer 44e4e4e4e4e4.

Ah, I don't know anything about SC2 :blush: Is there sort of a standard key for vills among the pro players?

Thanks for your help!
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

There's no standard key for vils, infact some muppets are probably still using v for them. But I think a lot use either q,w,e,r as they are prime real estate for hotkeys due to their proximity to the control groups. Possibly someone has changed it to a,s or d but outside of those 7 keys I doubt it.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

WickedCossack wrote:There's no standard key for vils, infact some muppets are probably still using v for them. But I think a lot use either q,w,e,r as they are prime real estate for hotkeys due to their proximity to the control groups. Possibly someone has changed it to a,s or d but outside of those 7 keys I doubt it.

pffttt....
[Sith] - Baphomet
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

I was referring to top players. :flowers:

It probably makes very little difference, mostly it's about creating a set up that you feel comfortable with. Basically if there was no default key for villager and everyone was made to select one at the start of the game I don't think it be a first choice.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

only noobs use attack move
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

gibson wrote:only noobs use attack move

I cant wait to get started :)
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Hmm maybe I should not use v for villager. With t for town center I have to use the same finger; that common action probably takes a long time.

@WickedCossack

Mind sharing your hot key set up?
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon

deleted_user wrote:Hmm maybe I should not use v for villager. With t for town center I have to use the same finger; that common action probably takes a long time.

@WickedCossack

Mind sharing your hot key set up?

Yea, that would be great! @WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Unfortunately it wouldn't be all that helpful to anyone since I play left-handed and seems all RTS players are right-handed.

I basically just use 1/2/3 for army, 4 for tc, 5/6/7 for production, 8/9 for raids and then most buildings, attack move, idle vil etc go on q,w,e,r,a,s,d keys. Plus space ofc for blasting that home city.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

deleted_user wrote:Hmm maybe I should not use v for villager. With t for town center I have to use the same finger; that common action probably takes a long time.

Those 0.2 seconds don't matter at all, aoe3 is a very slow game.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

is it possible to get this combination ''attack move key'' + right click for attack move to be only one key? by editing some stuff somewhere or sth.. so that i can just press ''enter random key here'' for attack move and dont have to use the buggy right click thingy.. or is that already considered cheating?
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

It's prohibited by the Geneva conventions.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Mimsy for President wrote:It's prohibited by the Geneva conventions.

this is just just and right.
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Post by DerMaxinator »

WickedCossack wrote:

I use space for my villagers, because that is just where my thumb is and when I have my fingers on the number line to access my control groups, and I think its a great place to have something that you can just smash, no matter what your other fingers are doing.

And for attack move I use "^" because its near to the control groups and my ring finger can reach it super easily, and its also easy to change the groups you want to use since you barely need to move your fingers :P
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

i use §, left of 1
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"