Custom Scenario testing / develop

Belgium Mahoke87
Crossbow
ESO: Mahoke87

Custom Scenario testing / develop

Post by Mahoke87 »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for ideas for a new custom map.
I've got a few ideas playing :

- 2vs2, both teams have to get ranged units on top of the cliff and player 5 enemy units run through the cliff.
You can upgrade your defenses, or send more units towards the enemy team as P5 spawn. This will increase your income.
This is what they call 'Line Tower Wars' on wc3 / sc2.

- 2vs2, create and upgrade units, both teams have a 'castle' and they have to fight to kill the other castle. Random events will occur like meteors, peace, boosting powers and such.

Which way would be most played? All ideas welcome!
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Re: Custom Scenario testing / develop

Post by _NiceKING_ »

I like the second one
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Doesn't option 2 sort of exist? Honshu - Regicide.
Error 404: Signature not found
Belgium Mahoke87
Crossbow

Post by Mahoke87 »

Hello,

the second idea does excist. Wolloseum / New Collo World is what people seem to be playing currently.
But, it's a bit annoying that if people don't get kills they don't get upgrades and no chance with a bowman vs an elephant fx.

Hence why I believe it's a good idea to do random events, giving a bit of skill to take the events to your advantage.
For example, if you add to 'Wolloseum' a timer that if a person is really behind he gets more gold for a kill temporary or perhaps even spawn 50 extra units once, it would be more doable to get back in the game.

And that's why I made this thread, theory and ideas. I want a good map, it's easy to make a map like those but it's rather hard to make it fun, balanced and competitive.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

I remember playing the "line wars" on SC2, think it was called nexus wars or something similar. That would be cool if you could somehow set that up in aoe3.
Belgium Mahoke87
Crossbow

Post by Mahoke87 »

Hey WickedCossack,

Yeah Nexus Wars exactly. That's pretty easy to set up. But as I mentioned earlier, balancing it is harder.
Especially since I'm new to AOE3, I never bothered it in my youth.

I started working on a 'Line Tower Wars' map now :) We'll see!
Belgium Mahoke87
Crossbow

Post by Mahoke87 »

So, small update seeing I got a little bit of interest going on here so far:

You have to defend a path, you have ranged units standing on top of the cliffs and enemy units run between over the path.
Players decide what unit is spawned to defend / attack with a eco system behind it.

- Created a system to buy a unit, which spawns in the other teams lane they have to defense. Doing so gives you + on income.
- Forcing all units to keep running to the 'exit', they went back earlier when attacked
- The income is given each X seconds + it shows it in chat the income of all 4 players each X seconds when income is given.

The basic unit is a pikeman (for now), this one is free and gives you +1 income. If you send more expensive units it will cost you gold, but this
unit will be stronger and give you more income. The stronger the unit is, the less income for the cost it will give. There will be however special fast units.
They will be hard to kill but give bad income for investment, so this is a tactical decision.

Players will have X life as a team, they can buy more lives. But, buying a life = less defense since you ain't spending it on units and doesn't boost income.

To defend your lane, you have to buy units who stand on top of the clifs around your path to defend. I will make a system so there's for example 15 zones where you can
have a defender spawning, this is random. The 15 zones will be blocked from each other by a rock or something so it looks naturally. Was thinking of a map design
so it's all a long nice path looking natural. Due this, it's always a bit random how the map plays and players wont stack up like 5 cannons to spawnkill or something.

Furthermore, I like random stuff, so I'm still thinking about a system so it sets each minute a number to random 1-999, and like :
1-50 : All units get + 5 speed for 3 seconds
51-200 : All defensive units get +50 damage for 3 seconds
201-250 : A quake happens, damaging all the attackers
251-400 : All players recieve + X income
401-420 : All players recieve a special guy they can spawn either a attacker with or a defensive, no cost. The special guy is killed once the player chosen.
I'll probally only make this one possible after X time in game for balancing issues.
421... : Ideas welcome, this is just a small thought so far.

ToDo:
Map design, tips welcome
Units deciding :
The 'engine' is made, but now it's pretty hard to balance it out.
Thinking about making an excel to calculate it and just boost / downgrade units hp & defense to make it balanced.
And lots of testing for bugs in my system right :)

EDIT:

Does anyone know if there's a 'better' editor out there? I found out to download and use a few extra triggers.
Can't find a Editor though, zooming out more would be handy!

Best regards,
Mahoke87