AoE3 101

Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

AoE3 101

Post by sdsanft »

So this is an idea I've had recently that I think could spark some pretty interesting discussion. If you were either teaching a single age of empires 3 class (AoE3 101) or were in charge of a whole graduate program (Doctorate in Age of Empires 3) at a top university, what would the course syllabus look like or what would the required courses be?

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Re: AoE3 101

Post by BrookG »

Alright then we have got History, Creative writing of guides (those are then ones I and noissance mentioned). Also casting and team game casting, as well as map designing, introduction to civs and battle stratagems.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Interesting I would have kept it solely focused on game play. Maybe one section on navigating the community
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Post by site »

If I were to structure classes...

Gameplay:
Game Theory (Strategy, scouting, build orders, etc)
Game Mechanics (Macro, Micro, etc)

Design:
Map Making
Scenario Making
UI Making
Mod Making
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Course #1: Unit Class & micro
Course #2: Basic Strategies

Of course there's a lot to discuss on the topic. Maps, treasure hunting guides, etc.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

The way I would do it 1st year would be purely gameplay (civs, strategies, mechanics) 2nd year would split up into specializations: casting, treaty, design, pro play (would focus more on micro and meta). This way all the casters, designers, etc would still have a very good concept of the game and strategy.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

A full semester long course on the history/culture of the Basement.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Interestingly, me and Eaglemut both have an opportunity to talk about AoE3 during our classes :D He, if I recall correctly, did that for his language course, I on the other hand had to pick my hobby and describe it on a PowerPoint presentation. My speech was supposed to be only 5-minute-long, unfortunately, so I focused on how the game even works, so that the nobz in my class could understand it — there were some boys who weren't really into gaming and girls. I talked about different civs, maps, macro, counter system (boom -> turtle -> rush etc.) and displayed some screenshots with my base evolving throughout a multiplayer game.

In terms of a whole subject, course, semester or whatever, one would obviously have to take into consideration players' experience with the game. Ideally, a prerequisite would be just this — to be allowed to take part in it, you would have to be, let's say, a sergeant in multiplayer. I think the only purpose of such studies would be to get better at the game, understand the mechanics, metagame and the game theory laying behind all of this, so such a requirement seems good. I don't think you teach design based on the game, nor do I think history is the best choice.

I guess then you would have classes on which you'd play LAN under the custody of pro players, you could have Aimbooster competitions, discussing multiple guides, creating your own ones, which in turn would require a complex card knowledge, from which you could make tests (unit stats, gather rates etc.). And then you'd just practice, I guess. :kinggreen:
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Yeah, I'm proud to say I've given a 3-hour speech about AoE3 on a language course that should've lasted 90 minutes total. The crowd was just too engaged!

Anyway, I like site's class structure. I'd add AI Making, Casting (Aiz UI usage, casting tips etc.) and History (of the series, ES etc). Pezet's ideas sound cool too, for a more advanced kind of class.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

Hi, i'm NekoBerk and i want to study in the ESOC's unversity :D, where should i pay?
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I think there is a lot of underlying theory to learn which explains why build orders work the way they do. I feel like its easy to blindly follow the meta without understanding why military shipments in age 3 are almost mandatory for example.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

Lol, we should make a free udemy course or something and have different people within the community help out and contribute. Not like anyone would use it tho, but it would be super legit.

United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Post by rickytickitembo »

I feel like every civ could have it's own course. There are 14 MUs for every civ. That's almost a full semester worth. Garja would teach Aztec theory obviously. And Aiz would be that crazy professor that comes up with his own theories that no one believes but somehow works for him.
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Its honestly stupid to try to teach people about match ups when there is just about no consensus on any match up in the game.
No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Post by abbadan »

I came to AoE without much gaming experience, particularly not of the build-up-and-kill things type. I'm still not very good (I can't consistently get out of lower Serg!), and I wish I had a strong foundation in
1. Macro-ing an Econ &
2. Micro-ing Units in a Fight
Then I'd want a class in
3. How to Balance the Econ and Military...something that would show me how to know - in a general way how to tell - when my econ was too low or my defenses too weak; something to keep my ass from getting raided to death in age 2 or buried when opponent goes to age 3.
Obviously, a lesson on the
4. Philosophy of Counters, to ensure player is making correct units, is part of the curriculum.
We're talking generalities that can be applied to ALL Civs, but now we have to move to the nuances...
5. Unit Types, How & When to Use Them. Their strengths and weaknesses (range, hp, siege power, etc.)
6. Civ Types and general strengths and weaknesses: the rush-Civs, the Age 4 dominators (hello Ports!), water powers (no, Dani...Germany is NOT going to be a great naval power in this war...) :sad: and mobile civs.
There's more, but I think we understand: who we're making the curriculum for depends on what they know coming in.
That said, I love - and have gained a lot, in theory - from Veni, Interj, H20 & many other casters' commentaries. I just suck badly at implementation...
OUT
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Jerom wrote:Its honestly stupid to try to teach people about match ups when there is just about no consensus on any match up in the game.

That's exactly what you look for on university — wise questions, but not necessarily clear answers :!:
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Required course: Manners and Respect
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Required course: Manners and Respect
most here would fail :grin:
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Well, fortunately it's a free course so they can take it as many times as needed.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

M-manners? What are those? I know what a "man" is, so I'm guessing this is some sort of adjective which is synonymous to masculinity (man + n + er, with "er" meaning "more"), machismo and virility? Respect? Right, respect testosterone! It all makes sense
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

I guess it should include basics about rts. Then specifics related to aoe3. How to play better. Different game modes.

Casting, modding, map making etc should be in the advanced course after it. :p
No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Post by abbadan »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Required course: Manners and Respect

Can't be taught after the age of 12. I seriously wonder sometimes how some of the really sneering-domineering type of people I meet up with in games get along in real-life. I hope they manage to muzzle themselves and only blow off steam by being rude to losers like me in-game. In real-life their asses would be fired, kicked, jailed or just left behind...depending on where they chose to piss out of their mouths.
United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Post by rickytickitembo »

Jerom wrote:Its honestly stupid to try to teach people about match ups when there is just about no consensus on any match up in the game.

Well, philosophy is still taught in school even if there isn't necessarily a correct or agreed upon answer.
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
United States of America Ikilled4penguins
Skirmisher
ESO: Ikill4penguins

Post by Ikilled4penguins »

I have fun applying my MBA courses to AOE, so for anyone under 1st lt ;), let's go with game theory, decision models, and interpersonal communication/cross-cultural leadership (for the team playas)
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Just a bunch of thoughts:

Standard formality of adressing the professors coupled with clusters of letters, numbers or strange words in their names would definitely be funny.

Student ID cards would show ranks, stats and an avatar.

Psychological support for the students should be provided by doctor Jesus.

University grounds would look like various maps.

Students learning outside would sit in circles like treasure guardians. Sociopaths would also sit there, albeit alone, and laugh to themselves.

Once every month there would be a BBQ by a signal fire.

And... Interjection would be a head of university radio canned from loudspeakers. Listening to his laughter aired from 6m high poles would be surreal.

Sports offered in the free time would be both team ones like:
galley races, formation dances and kind of rugby with boxes of bulky students around a single ball-carrier racing to their opponent's bases.

and individual ones like:
catamaran sailing, artistic artillery usage, archery, equestrianism, target shooting, fencing and various martial arts.

Due to the abundance of pets, everybody would keep an animal, just like at Hogwart's. I'd take Duber, it is OP.

In the 4th semester there should definitely be a workshop on confusion-fu by professor Aizamk.
I'd also like to see a "course of a hundred foreign languages" taught through examples from the game. Compstomp course with professor Aklak would be nice too.

At the graduation ceremony everybody would throw in the air the triangle-shaped musketeer hats.

If we found a loop enabling us to send infinite numbers of South Sea Bubble, Sublime Porte, Fur Trade and the like, we could finance it all very easily.