Not using shipments

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Not using shipments

Post by deleted_user0 »

forgrin wrote:
yoqpasa wrote:Maybe a no-shipment tournament could be played, starvation was succesful so why not?

The main reason Starvation worked was that it was relatively simple for me to remove the hunts from the maps (with Durokan's help). Removing shipments might be more difficult, I imagine the easiest way would be coding a trigger that researches blockade for all players. Either way, someone has to find out how to do it, test it, then make it for a tournament-ready mapset.

Ofc not, you just play without a deck its quite easy to do. And there have been games played this way. Game would be very slow pAced and balance would be terrible. Many civs would suck but it can be fun to try
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

You're right in the way that this game would be way more popular if it never had shipments. Who wants to grind hours to stand a chance against other players? No one does. That is bad game design, especially for a competitive game and RTS. Unfortunately removing shipments from this game now would mean every game would turn into musk/huss mirrors, which is extremely boring to watch.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Thats not true entirely. What you say has litte to do with shipments but rather homecity level system. AoeO had the same problem without shipments
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Would be interesting. Altho from balance POV Ports and Brits are going to be clearly better and Spain beyond useless.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dutch might be fine too, but ye the rest wouldnt be too great. Twc civs would be ok as well. India terrible
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:You're right in the way that this game would be way more popular if it never had shipments. Who wants to grind hours to stand a chance against other players? No one does. That is bad game design, especially for a competitive game and RTS. Unfortunately removing shipments from this game now would mean every game would turn into musk/huss mirrors, which is extremely boring to watch.

Shipments, in my opinion, is one of the main reasons this game was successful, and it's not imbalanced. Sometimes an individual shipment may be stronger than others, but for the most part the shipment system is fairly well balanced and provides a healthy way for players to use them to augment different types of strategies. Honestly a lot of the mechanics AoE3 uses—shipments, age up policitians & wonders, firepits, consulates, etc.—add a lot of decision making and strategic depth that a lot of other RTS games lack.

The problem, as Umeu pointed out (and as you seem to understand from the way you worded your post I guess), is the leveling system. It takes too long, is not competitive, and is often not fun or rewarding. If everyone always started with every card unlocked it would be a lot better.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I feel like this leveling system was created for the campaign, and I can see how it could be fun for a kid to unlock his cards and add them to his deck. But for multiplayer it makes it unfair so it's retarded

The game would most definitely suck without shipments anyway. But it's a fun challenge when you play against someone much lower than you (like 15 pr).
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Kaiserklein wrote:I feel like this leveling system was created for the campaign, and I can see how it could be fun for a kid to unlock his cards and add them to his deck. But for multiplayer it makes it unfair so it's retarded

The game would most definitely suck without shipments anyway. But it's a fun challenge when you play against someone much lower than you (like 15 pr).

I guess you are usually on the PR15 end of the matchup?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I was meaning 15 pr lower. And if you can't see what it means, it means that I can win with no shipments vs someone of your skill
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Kaiserklein wrote:I was meaning 15 pr lower. And if you can't see what it means, it means that I can win with no shipments vs someone of your skill

Taunt 46
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:
yoqpasa wrote:Maybe a no-shipment tournament could be played, starvation was succesful so why not?

rushing strats would be dead without shipments... the meta could be interesting then

also the balance would be dead, some civs rely heavy on their villager/military shipments (germany/spain),
while other civs like russia or ports dont even have them.
imagine germany vs ports, its basically 100f villager + 1 town center VS 80f villager + 2 town centers..

the meta would basically be: dont play half of the civs, since shipments are a part of the balance.
(kinda like starvation, where everybody just ended up playing iro..)

(it would be more interesting to make a tournament without villager/military/ressource crates shipments then anyway if you want more meta,
so the players would send all the special/bonus/upgrade cards..)

EDIT: id still love to see such a tournament, but the civ pool would be a lot smaller due to balance issues..

No 5 cossack, no 4 cossack, no boyars... poor Russia. India would be hurt much too without additional vills, trickles and good age 3 shipments, so would China, so would Japan, the natives, Ger, Spain...
Somewhere less, but still hurt would be Britain and Otto...
Portuguese then could become the apex predator, with unpunishably FF-ing France somewhere behind on the second spot and Dutch on the third... I guess
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Nah france would be mediocre, otto would suck, cant ff or rush without cards and they cant boom. Japan would be ok but worse than brits or ports. Twc civs would be ok i think because of fertility dance and generally not sending many vils anyway
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Otto would still be okish with free vills and mosque techs I think.
Image Image Image
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Brit would be op
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums