Friendly AoE3 people

Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by Mimsy for President »

Perhaps the french people you are talking about ain"t bilingual and/or are just ashamed of their accent.
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by DerMaxinator »

macacoalbino wrote:
dermaxinator wrote:I never really get flamed, apart from those moments where i steal them a treasure, then they just flame me and stuff.

Apart from that i think we have a very nice community. :D
I dont get why people get mad about stealing treasures, or killing their explorer...just be more careful. Ofc you cant always avoid it, well, shit happens, accept it.
Agreed, its just how the game works...
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
France benj89
Howdah

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by benj89 »

you come to our country, you speak our language, simple.
I come to the US, I don't expect US people to speak french, so I learn english. you come, you adapt. if you don't get it, don't come back :)
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
France benj89
Howdah

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by benj89 »

and french people do make effort to speak english, they just consider that as tourists, you should make more effort than them, which make sense for me
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yeah, they do speak english lol.
I meant french people in the game btw.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by momuuu »

benj89 wrote:and french people do make effort to speak english, they just consider that as tourists, you should make more effort than them, which make sense for me
No, that''s how it works to them. I''ve come across French tourist here in the Netherlands who were literally speaking french to me. I''m not even making this up, it actually happened. I just answered in Dutch to take revenge.

But not all of them are like that ofc. I have met plenty of kind French people who tried their very best to make me understand them aswell.
France benj89
Howdah

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by benj89 »

and you were right those people were retards lol. (or ignorant and it's not really their fault, the english lvl in france is probably the worst in europe)
I just heard so many americains claiming that french people should talk english to them when they visit france, and each time I hear this, my reaction is pretty bad :)
France benj89
Howdah

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by benj89 »

most my friends in france took 5-6 years of english and still can't keep up with a normal conversation. I'm not even joking
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by momuuu »

benj89 wrote:most my friends in france took 5-6 years of english and still can''t keep up with a normal conversation. I''m not even joking
Honestly, their English level is similair to that of spanish/italian/greek/portuguese people. It''s a lot harder for them to learn English than it is for people that speak germanic languages (like Dutch or German).
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by MCJim »

benj89 wrote:most my friends in france took 5-6 years of english and still can''t keep up with a normal conversation. I''m not even joking
That''s also vise versa it seems like. I know people (here in NL) who get taught French on school for over 3 years! And they don''t speak a single word... Mainly because it was compulsory and they had 0% interest.
But still, English and French don''t fit each other... Which is a shame... Imo more french people should learn proper English, mainly because it''s one of the biggest (and most important) communication languages.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
France iNcog
Ninja

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by iNcog »

jerom wrote:
benj89 wrote:and french people do make effort to speak english, they just consider that as tourists, you should make more effort than them, which make sense for me
No, thats how it works to them. Ive come across French tourist here in the Netherlands who were literally speaking french to me. Im not even making this up, it actually happened. I just answered in Dutch to take revenge.

But not all of them are like that ofc. I have met plenty of kind French people who tried their very best to make me understand them aswell.

really if a tourist came to me speaking in chinese i wouldnt really care i would just "no comprendo" and play a game of sign language
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by macacoalbino »

benj89 wrote:you come to our country, you speak our language, simple.
I come to the US, I don''t expect US people to speak french, so I learn english. you come, you adapt. if you don''t get it, don''t come back :)
I used to think like that. But think about if all people around the world had to learn the local language before travelling... It''s so much easier that we all choose just one, like we do in the internet...

Jaeger

Friendly AoE3 people

@macacoalbino "But think about if all people around the world had to learn the local language before travelling"

That's exactly what everybody does ^_^'
France iNcog
Ninja

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by iNcog »

no they don't

everyone learns english lol, do you learn asian or african languages when you visit those countries?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by gibson »

diarouga wrote:I hate most of aoe3 players, osteoblaste, kingreglin. In the french community we have many idiots.
Osteoblaste seems like a nice guy
Jaeger

Friendly AoE3 people

@incog Yeah, what's wrong ? I meant expressions not full language. YOU must make the effort, not the local population.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by lemmings121 »

macacoalbino wrote:
I come to the US, I dont expect US people to speak french, so I learn english. you come, you adapt. if you dont get it, dont come back :)
I used to think like that. But think about if all people around the world had to learn the local language before travelling... Its so much easier that we all choose just one, like we do in the internet...
+1

If a foreigner come to Brasil and he doesnt speak portuguese, Iwould obviously talk to him in english, simply because I would expect the same treatment if I went somewhere else...
If someone knows english (or any other language) and refuse to use it just because they are too proud.. imo theres no point in them learning other languages in first place.
France benj89
Howdah

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by benj89 »

macacoalbino wrote:
I come to the US, I dont expect US people to speak french, so I learn english. you come, you adapt. if you dont get it, dont come back :)
I used to think like that. But think about if all people around the world had to learn the local language before travelling... Its so much easier that we all choose just one, like we do in the internet...
but things arent that simple.
it has to do with the fact that language reflect culture and there will always be multiculturalism, so there will always be different languages, or at least for a long long time.
Its so much easier in your view, it isnt for the one who cant be bothered to learn english, its not an obligation. you dont force tribes in africa to speak english just because its "easier" for you, and you dont force french people to speak english because it would make your travel experience "easier" neither.
It also has to do with assimilation and immigration, but if we keep it to the tourist, he decides to travel to a foreign country therefore he isnt in the position to require anything from native people, thats how I see things at least. and there is for sure some pride and wars in french people related to their history that doesnt help their willingness to learn new languages.
also, lots of french people consider they have everything they need in france (even tho they recognized english is a necessity nowadays) , its the most touristic country in the world for a reason :)
France benj89
Howdah

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by benj89 »

i confirm osteoblaste is a cool guy :). he just has some weird temper when it comes to video games and losing which i don't get :p.
oh and they learn english for the purpose of trade, that's the only reason they learn it in the first place, not to welcome some foreigner from brazil --.
and again, if many french people don't speak english to tourists, it's simply because they can't. i only know very few people in france who are capable to be well understood speaking english, and I observed that many people from eastern europe have a good english because they have lot's of english channels and watch it since they are very young!
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by macacoalbino »

Omg, french people are not over the XIX century yet... Napoleon was defeated, deal with it!
Also it's not just tourism, it makes every international cooperation easier as well. It's just that the effort of learning a new language is so huge, that's just not worth forcing people to learn them all when everyone can put ~national pride~ (how stupid that is) aside and just agree with one damn language.

Jaeger

Friendly AoE3 people

+1 Benj89
Everything that needs to be said has already been said.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by Papist »

If I am asking directions, I am asking for directions.I''m not asking for a French lesson on the side of the road. If you speak somebody''s language, help them. If you can''t, move along. Easy peasy. French speakers are notorious for giving foreigners a hard time and looking with disdain on anyone who has had difficulty speaking their language.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
France benj89
Howdah

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by benj89 »

I didn't say there weren't over Napoleon, I said historical events might explain why they are very attached to their culture and their language, which is something I love about french people. Even tho you find it stupid, that's how it is.
I said it again, people learn new language for the purpose of trade as a main reason, and indeed everyone learn english in france. And yes the government should do smtg to improve the general english level because french have lot's of issues dealing with foreigners nowadays (just look at how poor the president's english is, it's a shame).
You try to simplify stuff that cannot be simplified - everyone adopting one common language - I won't explain you why
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by Papist »

It's time for France to stop reminiscing over the glory days and join us in the 21st Century. France est faible!
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Friendly AoE3 people

Post by macacoalbino »

I'm not saying for you to give up on your language. I'm just saying, why do people sometimes refuse to speak English to foreigners even if they can speak it?