servers down .....again

Germany Gigawatt04
Crossbow

Re: servers down .....again

Post by Gigawatt04 »

I'm a little bit confused. Where did you get the information that the servers will be down forerver? Or is it just a joke?

Befor servers were down completely, me and my mates had some problems with the connection after finishing a game. Maybe that's a sign, that there were problems, then the servers crashed completly and now it takes time to fix it because of the bad support.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Gigawatt04 wrote:I'm a little bit confused. Where did you get the information that the servers will be down forerver? Or is it just a joke?

joke
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

They are aware. Should be resolved soon.
mad cuz bad
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Yay.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
No Flag lumpo44
Crossbow

Post by lumpo44 »

n0el wrote:They are aware. Should be resolved soon.

whos aware and how do you know they are aware, sorry for questions just need to know lol addicted
Netherlands sacredfire
Crossbow
ESO: SacredFire

Post by sacredfire »

lumpo44 wrote:
n0el wrote:They are aware. Should be resolved soon.

whos aware and how do you know they are aware, sorry for questions just need to know lol addicted

https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status ... 6158963712

When stuff like this happens, always check the official Age of Empires twitter first.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

lumpo44 wrote:
KINGofOsmane wrote:
Show hidden quotes

my posts on eso-c are 100% honest

ok thanks for the reply, that sucks man I love this game only game I ever play sad to see it dead

It was sarcastic, Microsoft is already working on the issues: https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status ... 6158963712
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

This is just a test, the servers will be permanently coming down some time this new year.

User got warned for this post: spreading misinformation.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America SymonSays
Crossbow

Post by SymonSays »

fightinfrenchman wrote:This is just a test, the servers will be permanently coming down some time this new year.

Source?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

SymonSays wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:This is just a test, the servers will be permanently coming down some time this new year.

Source?

Just a hunch
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
SymonSays wrote:

Source?

Just a hunch

Let's test closing the server, let's test closing my business just for fun? No offense but that statement is actually idiotic.
United States of America roiarthurbis
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: roiarthurbis

Post by roiarthurbis »

__Uhlan__ wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Just a hunch

Let's test closing the server, let's test closing my business just for fun? No offense but that statement is actually idiotic.

Check the official AOE twitter... it was down for so long because the team wasn't aware of the problem.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

__Uhlan__ wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Just a hunch

That isn't their main business. There is a new guy coming in who wants to streamline things and the AoE 3 servers are considered a waste by him.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

__Uhlan__ wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Just a hunch

It's not making them money like a business, they are likely weighing the minuscule revenue against the electrical and service cost of keeping everything running. Likely a permanent shutdown this new year if my calculations are correct.

User got warned for this post: spreading misinformation.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

This is getting beyond a joke basement doom croakers people are getting legitimately confused.
And don't say I wanted you dead
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

milku3459 wrote:This is getting beyond a joke basement doom croakers people are getting legitimately confused.
[size=size50]And don't say I wanted you dead[/size]

It's not a joke we are just making legitimate predictions
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I mean you guys think that if this service had a legitimate chance to continue in perpetuity it would keep getting shut down every few weeks?
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Shutting it down periodically makes absolutely no sense if they're planning to permanently turn it off. You don't need to test it to see what turning it off does. They can look at population numbers and see how many people would be upset by the servers no longer existing. It breaks because it's old and requires maintenance. That doesn't mean they intend to shut it down.

Also, they do still make plenty of money off the game, and ESO in particular. There were 2030 ESO accounts created in the last week. (http://agecommunity.com/_server_status_/). This would imply that 2030 purchases of the game were made reasonably recently. AoE3 sells for $40 on Steam. Even if Steam was taking a 25% cut of of that (which I doubt), that's $60,900 in revenue in a single week. The revenue of a single week is more than enough to cover the costs of the servers and someone to maintain them for an entire year (doing so would by no means be a full time position, a single person could probably maintain servers for a number of Microsoft game studios legacy/small games). There are likely other purchases of the game where the user doesn't create an account (which admittedly these purchases are theoretically unaffected by ESO if they weren't creating an account), and there's fifty-two whole weeks of purchases in a year.

The cost of maintaining the servers is negligible for Microsoft, even compared to the revenue AoE3 makes. Don't spread misinformation.
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

musketeer925 wrote:Shutting it down periodically makes absolutely no sense if they're planning to permanently turn it off. You don't need to test it to see what turning it off does. They can look at population numbers and see how many people would be upset by the servers no longer existing. It breaks because it's old and requires maintenance. That doesn't mean they intend to shut it down.

Also, they do still make plenty of money off the game, and ESO in particular. There were 2030 ESO accounts created in the last week. (http://agecommunity.com/_server_status_/). This would imply that 2030 purchases of the game were made reasonably recently. AoE3 sells for $40 on Steam. Even if Steam was taking a 25% cut of of that (which I doubt), that's $60,900 in revenue in a single week. The revenue of a single week is more than enough to cover the costs of the servers and someone to maintain them for an entire year (doing so would by no means be a full time position, a single person could probably maintain servers for a number of Microsoft game studios legacy/small games). There are likely other purchases of the game where the user doesn't create an account (which admittedly these purchases are theoretically unaffected if they weren't creating an account), and there's fifty-two whole weeks of purchases in a year.

The cost of maintaining the servers is negligible for Microsoft, even compared to the revenue AoE3 makes. Don't spread misinformation.

thank you. testing to see what turning the servers off is like, that's got to be one of the dumbest "predictions" I heard of.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

musketeer925 wrote:Shutting it down periodically makes absolutely no sense if they're planning to permanently turn it off. You don't need to test it to see what turning it off does. They can look at population numbers and see how many people would be upset by the servers no longer existing. It breaks because it's old and requires maintenance. That doesn't mean they intend to shut it down.

Also, they do still make plenty of money off the game, and ESO in particular. There were 2030 ESO accounts created in the last week. (http://agecommunity.com/_server_status_/). This would imply that 2030 purchases of the game were made reasonably recently. AoE3 sells for $40 on Steam. Even if Steam was taking a 25% cut of of that (which I doubt), that's $60,900 in revenue in a single week. The revenue of a single week is more than enough to cover the costs of the servers and someone to maintain them for an entire year (doing so would by no means be a full time position, a single person could probably maintain servers for a number of Microsoft game studios legacy/small games). There are likely other purchases of the game where the user doesn't create an account (which admittedly these purchases are theoretically unaffected by ESO if they weren't creating an account), and there's fifty-two whole weeks of purchases in a year.

The thing is not everybody who is making accounts just bought the game, many probably bought it during the Steam sale and are just now making accounts. Also, it isn't even necessarily about the money, the new guy just wants to streamline things.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Ban these morons plz
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by _NiceKING_ »

musketeer925 wrote:
Also, they do still make plenty of money off the game, and ESO in particular. There were 2030 ESO accounts created in the last week. (http://agecommunity.com/_server_status_/). This would imply that 2030 purchases of the game were made reasonably recently. AoE3 sells for $40 on Steam. Even if Steam was taking a 25% cut of of that (which I doubt), that's $60,900 in revenue in a single week.

You should take into account that many people buy the game out of steam. I know some stores that sell the game for like $5 all the time.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

_NiceKING_ wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:
Also, they do still make plenty of money off the game, and ESO in particular. There were 2030 ESO accounts created in the last week. (http://agecommunity.com/_server_status_/). This would imply that 2030 purchases of the game were made reasonably recently. AoE3 sells for $40 on Steam. Even if Steam was taking a 25% cut of of that (which I doubt), that's $60,900 in revenue in a single week.

You should take into account that many people buy the game out of steam. I know some stores that sell the game for like $5 all the time.

really? where?
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by _NiceKING_ »

tedere12 wrote:
_NiceKING_ wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:

really? where?

russian stores