Mac?

Canada fawaz70
Crossbow
ESO: fawaz70

Mac?

Post by fawaz70 »

I have a friend who wants to play but she has a mac, does steam and aoe3 work on a mac?
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Re: Mac?

Post by kami_ryu »

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

bootcamp and wineskin are going to be your best options to run the windows version of steam. Wineskin is free but setting it up is a little tricky but nonetheless very doable. So it is possible, yes.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I've heard CrossOver (http://codeweavers.com) is an easy way to get Steam and AoE3 working on Mac, although I haven't tried it myself. It does cost roughly $30. You could try out the free trial and see if you can get it working with that before you consider buying it.

WineSkin is a free solution, similar to CrossOver, but a lot harder to setup.

Otherwise you could just get a copy of Windows and install it on your Mac via Bootcamp. But you would have to relaunch your computer every time you want to switch between Mac and Windows.
Australia Gear_Head
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: Gear_Head

Post by Gear_Head »

I currently use Parallels, putting Windows 10 into a virtual machine. I recommend it for any Mac user who have multiple windows-only or better-on-windows applications they want/need to have.

I recommend a solid state drive in any computer, but especially in a Mac running parallels. It just makes everything run like a dream. :)
Andorra flutelrut
Crossbow
ESO: Flutelrut

Post by flutelrut »

I achieved with crossover by steam app. Works well, better than parallels. I have written about it in this thread viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1112&p=213133#p213133
PEPPERONI PIZZA :food:
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

Gear_Head wrote:I currently use Parallels, putting Windows 10 into a virtual machine. I recommend it for any Mac user who have multiple windows-only or better-on-windows applications they want/need to have.

I recommend a solid state drive in any computer, but especially in a Mac running parallels. It just makes everything run like a dream. :)

How much did you pay for windows 10? & if you didn't how did you get it for free?
Australia Gear_Head
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: Gear_Head

Post by Gear_Head »

__Uhlan__ wrote:
Gear_Head wrote:I currently use Parallels, putting Windows 10 into a virtual machine. I recommend it for any Mac user who have multiple windows-only or better-on-windows applications they want/need to have.

How much did you pay for windows 10? & if you didn't how did you get it for free?

I think I paid about $10 (give or take a few $) for the license key and just downloaded it from Microsoft onto a bootable USB. My source is a friend who says they get keys from Microsoft for that cheap, although I have no idea whether or not this is true. All that matters to me is that it appears genuine and I get Windows updates etc. without a hitch. I've had it over a year now and no issues, so I'm a happy customer. :)

Always happy to source keys at cost price from the same person to you folks in the AOE community as well.

flutelrut wrote:I achieved with crossover by steam app. Works well, better than parallels. I have written about it in this thread viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1112&p=213133#p213133

This looks interesting. I'd be interested in trying this out for science. I haven't noticed any issues in Parallels, but perhaps I don't know what I'm missing out on. 8-)