2v2 tournament

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: 2v2 tournament

Post by deleted_user0 »

Who's surprised honestly?

This guy is like almost 25 and can't accept losing in a computer game. Should perm bann from future tourneys but oh yes, he is an admin so no.

Didn't he also forfeit vs lord rapha in finals? And one game resigned after losing 1 vill. Zero respect.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

I don't know man. I think that while H2O did seem to squander an amazing opportunity and disrespect not only breeze/goongoon, but the viewers and the community, it was clear that Veni/bsop were just on a whole nother level in terms of skill.

Playing in tournament games is hard and stressful, especially when there are external pressures for you to do well. Ryan was definitely feeling that. People weren't expecting him and Sam to win the series, but they were expecting close games and maybe a 3-1 or 3-2 loss. However, after the second game, it was clear that something like that would only happen through a miracle.

What Ryan did was just self-inflicted failure. The stress of playing and from the expectations put upon him as "the greatest player in recent years," would definitely cause most of us to break in some way. However, he should've played the last game or two, not for his sake, but for Sam's and the viewer's. I am disappointed with Ryan's actions, but I understand why he did them nevertheless.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Darwin_ wrote:I don't know man. I think that while H2O did seem to squander an amazing opportunity and disrespect not only breeze/goongoon, but the viewers and the community, it was clear that Veni/bsop were just on a whole nother level in terms of skill.

Playing in tournament games is hard and stressful, especially when there are external pressures for you to do well. Ryan was definitely feeling that. People weren't expecting him and Sam to win the series, but they were expecting close games and maybe a 3-1 or 3-2 loss. However, after the second game, it was clear that something like that would only happen through a miracle.

What Ryan did was just self-inflicted failure. The stress of playing and from the expectations put upon him as "the greatest player in recent years," would definitely cause most of us to break in some way. However, he should've played the last game or two, not for his sake, but for Sam's and the viewer's. I am disappointed with Ryan's actions, but I understand why he did them nevertheless.

Then you certainly have to learn proper etiquette.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

I don't see a reason for blaming H2O for the forfeit and replacing. Honestly, it was to be expected. In my opinion, indeed he needs to work on his sportsmanship. THim and Sam are ones of the best players those years, but there are other at least equally good players in TR, sup and team, who need a proper behaviour towards themselves. Plus H2O has contributed a lot on this forum and community, fairly he has a say, so he shouldn't be excluded that lightly.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

I think he shouldn't be put in priority against anyone else for future invitationals, no need to make any drama about it imo and the sanction seems pretty obvious. An entertaining+interesting watch doesn't necessarily include the most skilled players, any legit PR33/34+ can bring that content.
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag r4go
Howdah

Post by r4go »

Where Is the Honor Ryan?
Pizza, spaghetti, maccheroni, mandolino e tua mamma :flowers:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

pecelot wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Jerom wrote:Because it wasnt known in advance that this would happen.

Its easy to play captain hindsight. We had a big drama thread about it, if you saw this coming you shouldve brought it up back then, you sure had the opportunity.

Lol a ton of people were complaining about breeze and goon being removed, saying that the admins just wanted to have higher level players take their spot.

that is not true at all

Well people were definitely saying it so that part is true,
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag lyorn
Crossbow

Post by lyorn »

egos......

pretty sure blackstar pulled the same stunt and forfeited while losing to a low player a few tournaments ago
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

lyorn wrote:egos......

pretty sure blackstar pulled the same stunt and forfeited while losing to a low player a few tournaments ago

Definitely true, but here is not the place for knowing facts. this thread is where we hypocritically get angry.
No Flag lyorn
Crossbow

Post by lyorn »

haha I get that, just thought id be devils advocate while there is talk of future tourny bans etc
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

If we say that H2O shouldn't have a temporary tournament ban because others who committed this offense didn't get one, then you are essentially saying the staff should constantly repeat every mistake they've ever made and never improve.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Darwin_ wrote:I don't know man. I think that while H2O did seem to squander an amazing opportunity and disrespect not only breeze/goongoon, but the viewers and the community, it was clear that Veni/bsop were just on a whole nother level in terms of skill.

For sure being the top in anything can be stressful at times and I can understand some of his frustration. I'm sure H2O didn't expect his decision to forfeit to blow up like it did. Idk though, seeing H2O forfeit that last game just left a very bitter taste in my mouth, as it did for a lot of.other people. It's an invitational and 200 people were watching him, 200 people were then disappointed by lack of a third game.

Even if there is no punishment I hope H2O will learn from this and not join future tourneys if he knows he won't be motivated to play.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:If we say that H2O shouldn't have a temporary tournament ban because others who committed this offense didn't get one, then you are essentially saying the staff should constantly repeat every mistake they've ever made and never improve.

Yet giving him a ban would be biased. So you can stop with your bias stuff at least regarding this topic.
No Flag lyorn
Crossbow

Post by lyorn »

fightinfrenchman wrote:If we say that H2O shouldn't have a temporary tournament ban because others who committed this offense didn't get one, then you are essentially saying the staff should constantly repeat every mistake they've ever made and never improve.

I think most people would agree especially in hindsight that the mistake here was putting h2o and sam into the tournament in the first place
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Jerom wrote:

Yet giving him a ban would be biased. So you can stop with your bias stuff at least regarding this topic.

I don't think it would be biased it would be fair.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Jerom wrote:

Except it would literally be different treatment for same cases. Or can bias only exists if it's positive bias towards staff members?
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

It's amusing to me, that everytime I see one of these threads involving drama, it's the same 3-4 people aruging, why make things a bigger deal then they are? If they were down 2-0 was likely only 1 more game anyways, big woop move on.
Australia Gear_Head
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: Gear_Head

Post by Gear_Head »

__Uhlan__ wrote:It's assuming to me, that everytime I see one of these threads involving drama, it's the same 3-4 people aruging, why make things a bigger deal then they are? If they were down 2-0 was likely only 1 more game anyways, big woop move on.

#everybodywasthinkingit
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Jerom wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Except it would literally be different treatment for same cases. Or can bias only exists if it's positive bias towards staff members?

The staff should admit that not punishing others in the past for this was a mistake. Or are you saying that the rules should never change and that the staff should be held to whatever was done in the past in every single situation?
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

lyorn wrote:egos......

It has more to do with bad manners and not being able to behave than egos. A healthy ego doesn't correlate with what he did. But yea, it's not a big deal anyway and I believe the ones organizing invitationals will take into account what happened next time. Again no drama needed here imo.
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

somppukunkku wrote:Should perm bann from future tourneys but oh yes, he is an admin so no.

He's also like one of the best players in the history of this game, so that's more likely why no.

fightinfrenchman wrote:
pecelot wrote:
Show hidden quotes

that is not true at all

OP logic, no surprise!

fightinfrenchman wrote:The staff should admit that not punishing others in the past for this was a mistake.

Sounds strangely familiar :hmm:

I'd suspect Ryan has just a winner-focused logic. If he can't win, he doesn't want to lose time for that. Presumably first two games were indicative enough to tell him so, after that he knew they wouldn't win anymore. I personally don't mind that.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

pecelot wrote:I'd suspect Ryan has just a winner-focused logic. If he can't win, he doesn't want to lose time for that. Presumably first two games were indicative enough to tell him so, after that he knew they wouldn't win anymore. I personally don't mind that.

Winners never quit, so that wasn't winner-focused logic. The first two games did not guarantee a loss, and in fact a comeback from 2 games down would have been great for the community to watch. But he decided to just quit instead which I (and clearly many others) did mind.

pecelot wrote:OP logic, no surprise!

Well you said that my comment was "not true at all" and I was clearly disproving that obvious lie.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

pecelot wrote:
somppukunkku wrote:Should perm bann from future tourneys but oh yes, he is an admin so no.

He's also like one of the best players in the history of this game, so that's more likely why no.

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

OP logic, no surprise!

fightinfrenchman wrote:The staff should admit that not punishing others in the past for this was a mistake.

Sounds strangely familiar :hmm:

I'd suspect Ryan has just a winner-focused logic. If he can't win, he doesn't want to lose time for that. Presumably first two games were indicative enough to tell him so, after that he knew they wouldn't win anymore. I personally don't mind that.

surely he needs some telling off. He's not just a good player anymore but a representive of ESOC. If nothing happens then people will assume he can get away with it just because he is admin. It will look very bad for ESOC
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

So how do you prevent throwing games? He could just go afk for 5 mins or do a stupid strat, the result would be the same.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

pecelot wrote:So how do you prevent throwing games? He could just go afk for 5 mins or do a stupid strat, the result would be the same.

The point is that he should be punished for doing something like that. Also you haven't explained how quitting helps you win.